PDA

View Full Version : Why do posts suddenly require "moderator approval"?

Moonbase
2009-02-27, 11:29
Since the new forum software got installed, more often than not, I get this message:

Redirecting...

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Why?

Howard Passman
2009-02-27, 12:08
Since the new forum software got installed, more often than not, I get this message:

Redirecting...

Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting. You will now be taken back to the forum. If you opted to post a poll, you will now be allowed to do so.

Why?

Just kidding, but I wonder what you did. So far I haven't been "apprehended".

Anyone else getting the same message?

Howard

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-27, 12:21

Redirecting...

Why?

Strange - yes indeed, some of your posts were placed in a queue for moderation. They're all "approved" now.

I'm not sure how this happened and I'm just learning the new interfaces of the forum software myself. You don't appear to be on "moderated" status, at least not from what I can see, so I hope someone else can shed light on this.

It's good that we now can put users on moderated status but it should be reserved for new users with less than 'secret number X' posts. Lots and lots of spam out there, including more insidious methods lately of real people pretending to add to a thread but providing odd links here and there...

mherger
2009-02-27, 13:24
> Since the new forum software got installed, more often than not, I get
> this message:

I'll try to understand next time I see one of your messages waiting for
approval (but as I'm not using the forum software, this is rarely the
case). From my experience how antispam software is working I could imagine
two things specific to your postings:

- your use of special characters (which show up utterly broken in my
mails, bugzilla etc.)

- your signature: maybe just showing the link instead of linking some
words might help?

But that's a wild guess.

Michael

epoch1970
2009-02-27, 14:42
I thought moving to moderated mode was a deliberate (yet quiet) move.
Yesterday I posted a message with .zip attachment and was moderated (the message was displayed for a very, very short time.)
I thought something was fishy so I edited the previous message which was mine too, added the attachment, no moderation this time. I continued posting, no moderation anymore.

From time to time, I also see form buttons changing names, these days. For example instead of "Save" when correcting/updating a message, I've already seen "Vote now" (submitting worked ok.)

For what its worth, Safari is my main browser.
"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.27.1"

bpa
2009-02-28, 06:27
Suddenly my posts now have to be moderated. Assuming this post is not moderated - the last post had text and a link to another forum post

Moonbase
2009-02-28, 06:39
I’ll have to watch it – it happens on some, not all of my posts. Maybe it really has to do something with attachments or *odd wording* used.

Hm.

@ Michael: Sorry, Michael, I tried to "behave" a little in Bugzilla but I didn’t realize someone would have problems reading posts with "odd" characters like guillemets or typographical hyphens, ellipsis, apostrophe, etc. here in the forums?

The bad thing is I sometimes don't realize ... been using typographical characters since so many years (and actually use a special keyboard driver for that), so my fingers just automatically reach for the "correct" symbols... Its quite hard for me to deliberately ignore everything I'm trained to use as "correct" and switch back to "the old ASCII symbols"... Sorry again. Just keep reminding me from time to time ;-)

@ Howard: *big grin* Yeah, me naughty!

bpa
2009-02-28, 07:23
It looks like it happens all the time if I put a link to another forum thread in my posts. This needs to be sorted.

maggior
2009-02-28, 08:33
I just made a post and got the moderated. I included a link to another thread in the forum, so it looks like that is the culprit. The post I made regards crosstalk between a couple of threads (USB drive discussion turns to digital camera talk mid thread). Perhaps there is something screwy going on with the forum software in general?

maggior
2009-02-28, 08:34
My last post was not moderated yet my sig has a link in it. The post I made that was moderated included a link to another thread in the forum.

Strange problem...

epoch1970
2009-02-28, 08:46
I included a link to another thread in the forum, so it looks like that is the culprit.
Looks to my like a more random problem. My moderated post had no link; I use no sig. The post was long, I composed it for a good while; it had a CODE struct and a zip attachment.

Nobody else seen the buttons suddenly changing names ?

EDIT: Looking back at the message (here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=400404&postcount=497)) there was indeed a link in it. But there were also a ton of URLs printed in the CODE trace.

Sorry, I take it back; I believe too links / URLs are the cause.

radish
2009-02-28, 08:49
Looking at the posts which are being flagged, the vast majority have links (often multiple links). I'm assuming the sensitivity is turned up a little high, but at least there'll be less wow & n95 spam :)

jo-wie
2009-02-28, 09:22
I got also the Moderator message with a post including a link.

iPhone
2009-02-28, 11:50
Looking at the posts which are being flagged, the vast majority have links (often multiple links). I'm assuming the sensitivity is turned up a little high, but at least there'll be less wow & n95 spam :)

Speaking of sensitivity, is their an adjustment in the software for user level? Look at every post in this thread so far, everybody posting up to and including this reply is a Senior Member.

I would think that most Senior Members would be at a point that they didn't need to be moderated when including a URL link in their posts. But that's just my thoughts.

Diana
2009-02-28, 23:50
I just got moderated - for the first time ever. I put a URL to a wiki page in the message, so I guess that's what did it.

But this needs fixing, as many people reply quickly to requests for help by simply giving a URL, so the member who's stuck can get on with their solution. This new 'feature' doesn't help this sort of rapid support.

Diana
2009-02-28, 23:53
...everybody posting up to and including this reply is a Senior Member.

I guess that's because senior members are the most likely people to respond to requests for help by giving a URL to the required info.

erland
2009-03-01, 00:13
I just got moderated - for the first time ever. I put a URL to a wiki page in the message, so I guess that's what did it.

I got moderated too, but I had an url to an enhancement request.

Klaas
2009-03-01, 01:35
had the problem yesterday, had three links to ressources on the web. But the posts appeared an hour later

posts like for every try and I had to delete 4 tries :)

Moonbase
2009-03-01, 06:53
Someone has to do all the work. I understand the measurements in regard to the spamming that went on here. If a scheme like this is really needed, I think a working combination might be:

Links to slimdevices and logitech pages should always work. These are usually links to other threads, the wiki, bugzilla, and product pages.
Other links should be auto-enabled when a user has "reached" some status. Most often, the post count is used for that in other forums, either a fixed one like 50 or one associated with a "status" like "Senior Member".
Setting single (misbehaving) users to "moderated" status should by now be supported in any forum software.

mherger
2009-03-02, 02:02
> It looks like it happens all the time if I put a link to another forum
> thread in my posts. This needs to be sorted.

I just went through the dozen or so postings which had queued up since I (or someone else) last checked the list. Every single one of them had a link some slimdevices.com site in it. And none was spam. We'll definitely have to improve this behaviour. Please be patient. As with many anti-spam filters, this needs a bit of learning time.

(Moonbase: don't worry, I now doubt it's your using those wierd typographical quotes. Even if you _believe_ they're correct, they're most likely correct in the German forum for German readers only. In Switzerland we use the French style even in the German speaking part of the country... ;-))

--

Michael

Moonbase
2009-03-02, 06:23
Me international weirdo :-)))

Trevor
2009-03-02, 07:17
On a similar note, if I do a search of these forums using my laptop, I'm forced to enter an image verification string but if I search using the same string on my desktop PC it doesn't ask for verification.

Why's this?

bpa
2009-03-02, 07:29
If you are not logged in - you will be asked for a verification string. Perhaps you have the browser remember your id on the desktop PC but not on the laptop

grrman
2009-03-02, 08:01
Speaking of sensitivity, is their an adjustment in the software for user level? Look at every post in this thread so far, everybody posting up to and including this reply is a Senior Member.

I would think that most Senior Members would be at a point that they didn't need to be moderated when including a URL link in their posts. But that's just my thoughts.

As a junior member I'll see if this gets moderated...:-)

Mark Lanctot
2009-03-02, 09:08
Well I notice this has caught 3 spammers already. One today and two posting "visitor messages" (?) over the weekend.

But yes, the settings do need tweaking.

Here's what I see would catch spammers, based on typical spam posts here:

1. All posts by users with under X posts containing links would be moderated. Don't publish secret number X, I see forum spam software automatically posts a required number of nonsense messages to get past this and blast out the spam.

2. Every new user with a link in their signature has all messages moderated. I'm seeing a lot of new users with "me too!" posts followed by "THE BEST IN WOW GOLD!" links in their signatures. :-)

And really, this would catch 98% of them.

iPhone
2009-03-02, 09:32

Redirecting...

Why?

Now this is very strage, one my replies just got moderated. It was a 3 or 4 line reply with no URLs or special symbols. Just a normal post.

Edit: I quoted the OP, and he had a URL in the post. Wonder if that was the reason why?

Moonbase
2009-03-02, 09:54
Edit: I quoted the OP, and he had a URL in the post. Wonder if that was the reason why?

Yep. Typicial forum software won’t distinguish between quoted and original content. It might also be argued that repeating a (spam) link in a quote is spam in itself :-)

Mnyb
2009-03-02, 10:34
iPhone you have an url in your signature ? the last fm link ?

i got moderated this morning to for posting links to bugzilla

iPhone
2009-03-02, 11:13
iPhone you have an url in your signature ? the last fm link ?

i got moderated this morning to for posting links to bugzilla

Yes I do. But I had not been moderated until the post I mentioned above. I have made probably 20 or 30 posts since the subject of Moderating came up. With the one mentioned above being the first to trigger the event. So from my thinking, either Last.FM is ignored or one simple URL in the signature is ignored.

Actually as a case in point, the post about being moderated for the first time posted immediately as did the edit to that post. This Forum has very good Admin's and Moderators and I feel sure about them getting the bumps worked out. The Spam, blatant advertising, and signature violations were getting out of hand.

I really hate to talk about limiting access, but it could be getting to a point that everybody's first 5 or 10 posts need to be moderated automatically. That way the spammer are prevented and spotted immediately to be banned. I really hate suggesting that because I would think that newbies first posts are about asking for help. Penalizing new Forum members from getting quick help to prevent the advertising SPAM seems like a last resort approach to me. But the way things have been the last couple of weeks, it's hard to say. I also don't know what the software can be tweaked to handle and do. So there could be much easier and better ways to handle this. As in, is there a key word table that might include the word Sale, Sell, or $ that would trigger the post to be moderated.

I know I reported at least 60 advertising Spams in February and 10 or so users using Username & Forum Signatures as advertising IE Replica Handbags. A normal month used to be 3 to 5 a month.

gharris999
2009-03-02, 12:49
I'm being moderated now too, regardless of post content. Maybe I NEED to be moderated. Does anyone else, besides me, find me annoying?

DaveWr
2009-03-02, 14:25
No not at all

Dave

MeSue
2009-03-02, 14:43
FWIW, I have not been moderated and I have Last.FM in my sig. The message I posted yesterday with 15 last FM links wasn't moderated either.

I really hate to talk about limiting access, but it could be getting to a point that everybody's first 5 or 10 posts need to be moderated automatically. That way the spammer are prevented and spotted immediately to be banned. I really hate suggesting that because I would think that newbies first posts are about asking for help. Penalizing new Forum members from getting quick help to prevent the advertising SPAM seems like a last resort approach to me.

What about using a captcha for new members' first 5-10 posts? Do they stop human spammers or just spam-bots?

Then again, maybe the newbies will call support when they realize their post won't appear right away and it will reduce the number of "doesn't work" rants. ;-)

bpa
2009-03-02, 14:51
Many anti spamming tools initially reject many types of messages and then they learn from the moderated messages which types are acceptable so perhaps it has learnt about Last FM but not enough about forum and bugzilla links yet to accept them.