PDA

View Full Version : product placement at PCWORLD UK rubbish

brigader
2009-02-26, 01:48
Hi

Not sure how logitech are marketing the squeeze centre products, but I was checking online at pcworld and checked they had a squeezebox in the store before i got there, as i had some vouchers to spend (fleecy world is not my normal place oof prefence to buy anything ;-)

Anyways I saw it was in stock, but when I got to the store it was a nightmare, where I expected to see this product would be by all the IPOD SPEAKERS/Docking stations music players etc.

But oh no it was under networking.... Luckly i new it was in the store otherwise i would have missed it.

I think the squeeze products are fantastic and i can definately see that Logitech are missing some great sales here.....which is a shame.

regards

Paul

socistep
2009-02-26, 05:53
Hi

Not sure how logitech are marketing the squeeze centre products, but I was checking online at pcworld and checked they had a squeezebox in the store before i got there, as i had some vouchers to spend (fleecy world is not my normal place oof prefence to buy anything ;-)

Anyways I saw it was in stock, but when I got to the store it was a nightmare, where I expected to see this product would be by all the IPOD SPEAKERS/Docking stations music players etc.

But oh no it was under networking.... Luckly i new it was in the store otherwise i would have missed it.

I think the squeeze products are fantastic and i can definately see that Logitech are missing some great sales here.....which is a shame.

regards

Paul

Agree 100% - PC World in Leeds is the only place I have seen any SB kit, they have some Boom's in stock, but its tucked away with no special feature, demo kit on display etc. - Just the boxes...in the wrong section

In Richer Sounds in Leeds there is a Sonos display stand which I'm sure they get a lot of business from when people are in buying speakers, amps etc. - Nothing from logitech.

oktup
2009-02-26, 06:23
Yeah, same thing with our local PC World, they had a lone SB classic on display (away from the ipod section) and although they stock Booms too, there were none on display, just a few stacked on the shelf below the display unit - so you wouldn't see them unless you were looking for them.

Also, no sign of Squeezeboxes returning to John Lewis as yet :/

socistep
2009-02-26, 08:47
Yeah, same thing with our local PC World, they had a lone SB classic on display (away from the ipod section) and although they stock Booms too, there were none on display, just a few stacked on the shelf below the display unit - so you wouldn't see them unless you were looking for them.

Also, no sign of Squeezeboxes returning to John Lewis as yet :/

SONOS has a lead in this sense, it is seen by many as as 'expensive boys toy' and also marketed better IMO

iPhone
2009-02-26, 09:04
Hi

regards

Paul

Just for a general heads up, most companies have to rent/buy/pay for shelf space and the seller of that space controls where your product goes by either telling you its going to be in this department OR gives you a choice of where yoy want it but then rapes you on the price/rent of that shelf space of choice.

As an example, most food stores now make most of their profit selling shelf space then by selling products.

So Logitech could very well not have control over where PC World places their products.

pfarrell
2009-02-26, 11:16
iPhone wrote:
> As an example, most food stores now make most of their profit selling
> shelf space then by selling products.

For the last couple of years of its life, Tower Records made all of its
profit from shelving fees and ads for music in the store. Want a poster
on the wall, X bucks. Want to be on the sampling keyosk, Y bucks.

In the days where web stores sell nearly everything and set the maximum
price, brick and mortar stores get a lot of their profit from shelving
and cooperative marketing.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

socistep
2009-02-27, 02:01
iPhone wrote:
> As an example, most food stores now make most of their profit selling
> shelf space then by selling products.

For the last couple of years of its life, Tower Records made all of its
profit from shelving fees and ads for music in the store. Want a poster
on the wall, X bucks. Want to be on the sampling keyosk, Y bucks.

In the days where web stores sell nearly everything and set the maximum
price, brick and mortar stores get a lot of their profit from shelving
and cooperative marketing.

--
Pat Farrell

Didn't realise this....so near enough all PC Worlds have a prominent Apple display, they would pay a premium for this ?

andynormancx
2009-02-27, 02:50
Didn't realise this....so near enough all PC Worlds have a prominent Apple display, they would pay a premium for this ?
Maybe, though you never know with Apple. They PC World could very easily be paying Apple for the privilege of being able to stock their machines.

funkstar
2009-02-27, 10:32
Yeah, as Andy said, I've heard Apple is a little different to most.

Belkin is a better example. A Belkin rep probably comes in to manage that stores stok and look after the display, they probably also look after all the cables and accessories too.

If you have a search for some of the Monster Cable threads, you will see a lot of discussion on how they market their products to stores.

pfarrell
2009-02-27, 10:50
andynormancx wrote:
> socistep;401178 Wrote:
>> Didn't realise this....so near enough all PC Worlds have a prominent
>> Apple display, they would pay a premium for this ?
> Maybe, though you never know with Apple. They PC World could very
> easily be paying Apple for the privilege of being able to stock their
> machines.

I don't know about PC World, but the shelving allowance is well
documented for both Tower Records and your local grocery store.

Apple is special, so they may live by their own rules.

--
Pat Farrell