PDA

View Full Version : Easier way to sync?

thing-fish
2009-02-23, 09:59
Thanks to the Circuit City closeout, I now have a third Squeezebox product in the house. While we're loving it, something that was a little troublesome before is now a bigger issue: we'd like an easier way to sync the players together.

My first instinct was just to go into the Menus preference for each player and get Sync moved higher in the menu hierarchy. We've done the same thing with Podcasts and Rhapsody, making them just a couple of keypresses away instead of having to go dig them out of Music Services or Extras. Alas, Sync is not available to do that with!

So I guess I'm asking, is there a plugin available that will let Sync be at a higher level in the menu? I am going to install the Sync Options plugin, as I really love the idea of being able to change sync mid-song, but I don't know yet if it will do what I'm looking for.

aubuti
2009-02-23, 10:29
I am going to install the Sync Options plugin, as I really love the idea of being able to change sync mid-song, but I don't know yet if it will do what I'm looking for.
You don't need the SyncOptions plugin to join mid-track. It's now a standard feature of sync (I think it has been since 7.3).

I don't have my SB in front of me, and don't remember what your options are for moving Sync in the menus.

Brian Ritchie
2009-02-23, 17:26
I recommend the Synchronizer plugin. It can be used to set up predefined sync groups (with one player defined as the master), and also adds a "sync all others to this" menu option.

I used to use the latter option a lot, but since adding the Controller as a player I find it less useful, as I rarely want to sync it to the others, and sometimes wonder why there's a faint tinny echo in the room :-)

-- Brian

thing-fish
2009-02-23, 19:43
I recommend the Synchronizer plugin. It can be used to set up predefined sync groups (with one player defined as the master), and also adds a "sync all others to this" menu option.

I think that will definitely help and am going to try it out right now! It's in the repository at http://www.koldware.com/SlimStuff/repodata.xml

... OK, I just tried it, and HOORAY! It does just what I'm looking for. I set up sync groups and then found that "The Synchronizer" is available as a menu item, which I've moved nice and high in our menu list.

The only drag is that it doesn't seem to work with Sync Options in that I was not able to join a track in progress, it actually stopped the playlist. While that stinks, it's great to be able to switch the syncing so easily. Thanks much for the tip, and thanks to the author of the plugin!

peterw
2009-02-23, 20:38
The only drag is that it doesn't seem to work with Sync Options in that I was not able to join a track in progress, it actually stopped the playlist.

Do you have SyncOptions configured for "default" mid-track sync? Most folks with SqueezeCenter 7.3 and later prefer "default" mid-track syncing.

thing-fish
2009-02-24, 09:14
Do you have SyncOptions configured for "default" mid-track sync? Most folks with SqueezeCenter 7.3 and later prefer "default" mid-track syncing.

I don't see such an option. It says ""Wait" behavior. When syncing with a player that is playing a local song, whether to sync and restart the song ("Default"), wait for the next track to start, or attempt to sync mid-song. "Wait for next track" will allow you to press a button on the remote control to force immediate sync or attempt mid-song sync"

So the default is to sync and restart. I switched it to attempt to sync mid-song. What actually happened was that the players synched and the playlist *stopped*. So I don't know if there's a conflict between The Synchronizer and Sync Options plugins, or between one or both of those and the latest version of SqueezeCenter or what. I guess I will experiment some more; I do love the Synchronizer, it is really providing what I was looking for (getting Sync more accessible in the menus) and also being able to define the groups is very handy, as we have Upstairs, Downstairs and Bedroom (or BedBoom as I named it, nyuk nyuk), and our likely sync combos are to sync all three or to just sync the upstairs and the bedroom.

I appreciate the discussion here; does anyone else have any thoughts?

4mula1
2009-02-24, 09:31
Vote for Bug 10219 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10219) to be able to have syncronize as a top level menu item.

thing-fish
2009-02-24, 09:56
Vote for Bug 10219 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10219) to be able to have syncronize as a top level menu item.

DONE. Thanks!

kolding
2009-03-03, 15:04
The only drag is that it doesn't seem to work with Sync Options in that I was not able to join a track in progress, it actually stopped the playlist. While that stinks, it's great to be able to switch the syncing so easily. Thanks much for the tip, and thanks to the author of the plugin!

There's some sort of bad interaction between SyncOptions and The Synchronizer, but I haven't tried to debug it. It appears to be related to the "wait for next track to synchronize" option, so I THINK it works when SyncOptions just lets SqueezeCenter do it's thing and merge new players in right away. Seems to work well in 7.3 and later.

Eric

peterw
2009-03-03, 16:21
There's some sort of bad interaction between SyncOptions and The Synchronizer, but I haven't tried to debug it. It appears to be related to the "wait for next track to synchronize" option, so I THINK it works when SyncOptions just lets SqueezeCenter do it's thing and merge new players in right away. Seems to work well in 7.3 and later.

For SyncOptions, I definitely recommend "default" sync rather than "attempt mid-song sync" if you're running SC 7.3 or newer.

I really need to look at the code & make the two equivalent for SC 7.3+.

Sorry 'bout that,

Peter

thing-fish
2009-03-04, 07:18
For SyncOptions, I definitely recommend "default" sync rather than "attempt mid-song sync" if you're running SC 7.3 or newer.

I really need to look at the code & make the two equivalent for SC 7.3+.

In the settings for the plugin it says
"Wait" behavior. When syncing with a player that is playing a local song, whether to sync and restart the song ("Default")

Am I understanding correctly that what happened is that 7.3+ actually does the mid-song sync by default, that the default has changed in SqueezeCenter but the settings text of the plugin hasn't changed yet? If so, is there a need for the SyncOptions plugin anymore? I think I may have just found it too late!

aubuti
2009-03-04, 07:39
Am I understanding correctly that what happened is that 7.3+ actually does the mid-song sync by default, that the default has changed in SqueezeCenter but the settings text of the plugin hasn't changed yet? If so, is there a need for the SyncOptions plugin anymore?
Yeah, I think that is what I was trying to say in post #2 of this thread. ;o)