PDA

View Full Version : Safety on music folder?

kolvig
2009-02-22, 16:56
Hi....

I would like to copy my music folder to a friends PC..... But it can only be, if I can manage to set some safety on the music folder at my friends PC.

I would make sure, that my friend not copy the music folder to any of he's friends.

My friend is not so good to computer stuff, so the safety on the music folder does not have to be with encrypted passwords or something like that. But surely if the possebility is with encryption, then I must go this way

Hopy you can help me.....

PS. I'm from Denmark and like you can see, my english is not so good. Hope you undestand anyway...:-)

Kind regards

Uluen
2009-02-22, 18:13
Is this for backing up your music only or should your friend be able to play your music but not share it further?

If the first, there are lots of possibilities (multipart rar files inside a truecrypt container for example).

If it's the latter I don't think that's possible.

kolvig
2009-02-22, 18:35
Is this for backing up your music only or should your friend be able to play your music but not share it further?

If the first, there are lots of possibilities (multipart rar files inside a truecrypt container for example).

If it's the latter I don't think that's possible.

Unfortunally it's the latter. My friend should have the possebility to access the music with he's Squeezecenter, but he should not have the posebility to copy or move the music folder.

Uluen
2009-02-22, 19:09
"to a friends PC", it's a local disk on your friends computer, not a server/NAS?

peter
2009-02-22, 23:33
kolvig wrote:
> Hi....
>
> I would like to copy my music folder to a friends PC..... But it can
> only be, if I can manage to set some safety on the music folder at my
> friends PC.
>
> I would make sure, that my friend not copy the music folder to any of
> he's friends.
>
> My friend is not so good to computer stuff, so the safety on the music
> folder does not have to be with encrypted passwords or something like
> that. But surely if the possebility is with encryption, then I must go
> this way
>
> Hopy you can help me.....
>
> PS. I'm from Denmark and like you can see, my english is not so good.
> Hope you undestand anyway...:-)

Your problem is similar to that of the large record companies. You have
two choices: do nothing or apply some incredibly cumbersome DRM system.
The latter is probably beyond your capabilities.

Regards,
Peter

Club1820
2009-03-04, 22:57
What I am wondering... Is why doesn't he want his friend to do the same as he did? Share the music. ???

pippin
2009-03-05, 05:29
What I am wondering... Is why doesn't he want his friend to do the same as he did? Share the music. ???

Because he has watermarked files he doesn't want to show up on the internet while being in a legislation that allows sharing with friends?

Club1820
2009-03-05, 22:54
Well, I just found it odd that he doesnt "trust" his friend to not distribute the files if he is requesting that he/she don't. But whatever.