PDA

View Full Version : Any way to segregate players and music? Multiple installs?

jimwillsher
2009-02-21, 07:07
Hi all,

I have two SB3s and a Boom, and the next door neighbours are looking to get a similar setup. As I run a server, running 24x7, they want to be able to share my music and avoid having to run a server themselves.

Is there a way to segragate the players and music, so that they see theirs and we see ours? Or can Slimserver have mutliple instances?

Many thanks,

Jim

4mula1
2009-02-21, 09:51
You might want to try Erland's MultiLibrary plugin.

http://erland.homeip.net/download/

The alternative to that is to use some sort of virtualization.

jimwillsher
2009-02-21, 12:32
Many thanks, that looks like it'll solve half my problem.

The unsolved half is how to prevent them accessing my players via the browser and inadvertently playing tracks on my players.......

Jim

aubuti
2009-02-21, 14:00
Many thanks, that looks like it'll solve half my problem.

The unsolved half is how to prevent them accessing my players via the browser and inadvertently playing tracks on my players.......
As long as you're on the same LAN segment -- which is the usual way for them to see your server -- I'm not sure how that can be avoided.

I was about to suggest running a second instance of SC on a virtual machine, using something like VirtualBox. That's what I do to test beta versions of SC while also running a stable version of SC for the rest of the family. It works great, but even though different players are connected to different servers, all the players are visible on the network, so it's easy to "grab" a player from one server and attach it to the other server.

Btw, you sound like a really great neighbor!

jimwillsher
2009-02-21, 14:07
Yeah, pretty much the same segment. I'm on 192.168.1.x and they're on 192.168.0.x. I've multihomed my slimserver box and connected the LAN cable between the two properties.

I wondered about a virtual machine too. In fact my Slimserver software runs on Ubuntu which is running as a VM inside Windows 2008 (Slim seems happier on Linux than W2008), and my music files are all held on the Windows box and accessed by slim via a mount. So it's perfectly feasible. But running a second VM might be a headache, especially if I need to reboot the Win box etc.

I guess what I need is some form of "groupings" facility for the players, possibly accessible as a parameter to the browser path (:9000?group=xyz). But I suppose I have a fairly unique situation....

Cheers,

Jim

4mula1
2009-02-21, 14:52
Before my wife started buying DRM infected tracks from iTunes I had a Zone in Solaris setup with a SqueezeCenter instance for her and one for me. They both shared the MySQL in the global zone. Worked well, but then the DRM came and I canned her zone. All she had to do was point the player to her "server" and play music.

jimwillsher
2009-02-22, 05:03
I've bitten the bullet and installed a second VM. Ubuntu 8.10, LAMP install, and SC. I gave the VM 512MB RAM and SC was very sluggish, but with 1GB it's fine. My server has 8GB so plenty to play with.

Happy neighbours :-)

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone.

Jim

aubuti
2009-02-22, 07:57
I've bitten the bullet and installed a second VM. Ubuntu 8.10, LAMP install, and SC. I gave the VM 512MB RAM and SC was very sluggish, but with 1GB it's fine. My server has 8GB so plenty to play with.

Happy neighbours :-)
Congrats, especially to your neighbors. Just so that I'm sure I understand, were you able to do anything about isolating player groups, or are you moving ahead with the hope that they don't accidentally start controlling your players?

jimwillsher
2009-02-22, 08:04
No, I was unable to isolate the players. So the setup I have is as follows:

My setup - server 192.168.1.50, with the music folder /mnt/music and the playlist folder /mnt/playlists.

Their setup - server 192.168.0.60, with the music folder /mnt/music and the playlist folder /mnt/playlistsnextdoor.

Both VMs are hosted on my server, and the 192.168.0.60 is multihomed with 192.168.1.60. As such, I can see my server and players and their server and players (for managing updates etc) but they can only see theirs, not mine. This means their player dropdown only lists their players and our dropdown only lists our players. But both systems have access to the same music folder, and they can keep their playlists separate from ours.

Seems to work ok. They have my excess SB3 (which I replaced with a Boom) and they have just ordered a Duet. We'll soon have five players between the two houses, all driven by my server in the garage loft :-)

Jim

aubuti
2009-02-22, 08:07
Nice. I've never (knowingly) dealt with multihoming, but it sounds like the perfect setup for you and your neighbors.

toby10
2009-02-22, 08:16
Nice. I've never (knowingly) dealt with multihoming, but it sounds like the perfect setup for you and your neighbors.

And if they don't return the lawnmower.......NO MUSIC! :)