PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about plugins

zskylar
2009-02-20, 09:23
I am a new SB Boom owner. To take advantage of plugins - must you be actively running SqueezeCenter on your computer? I know you need Squeezecenter to install the plugins via placing them in the plugin directory - but can I take advantage of some of the display plugins - like weather- without having my computer on 24/7. Thanks.

gharris999
2009-02-20, 09:29
I am a new SB Boom owner. To take advantage of plugins - must you be actively running SqueezeCenter on your computer? I know you need Squeezecenter to install the plugins via placing them in the plugin directory - but can I take advantage of some of the display plugins - like weather- without having my computer on 24/7. Thanks.
Short answer: No. Plugins don't "inject" any code onto the player. They just modify the behavior of the server. So, when the server goes away (shuts down / suspends / etc.) the plugin functionality goes away too.

If you can't live without your weather display, you could consider (depending on your server hardware and operating system) various power saving schemes, e.g. hard disk spin-down, cpu throttling, etc.

bpa
2009-02-20, 09:35
I know you need Squeezecenter to install the plugins via placing them in the plugin directory

For 7.3 onward - installation of most plugins is done via Extension Downloader which automates installations, ensures the plugin is installed in the correct directory and checks if there is a new version of an installed plugin available.