PDA

View Full Version : Denon 3805 DAC or SB3?

mhuie
2009-02-19, 16:00
I have a Denon 3805 AVR. From the specs it has a Burr Brown DAC (PCM-1791). The SB3 appears to have a PCM-1748.

Is there a difference between these two... I'm guessing the higher model # is better? Also, are there any advantages/disadvantages of using the DAC in a receiver vs something semi-external like the SB3?

radish
2009-02-19, 17:36
There's no simple answer. Try both, and use which ever sounds better to you (or if they're the same - it doesn't matter).

peejay
2009-02-19, 19:01
I have a similar setup, and for a while I ran both digital and analog outputs into my HT amp. Once I adjusted the input of the analog side level to be similar to that of the internal dac output, I couldn't tell the difference between the two sonically- the NAD uses Crystal Dacs I believe.
Then I changed my speakers over from B&W 601s to Krix Phoenix, and now there is a noticeable difference between them - the NAD seems to colour the music more to the mid-range, than does the Squeezebox.
Sometimes, as I learnt, it takes a change in some other component to reveal sonic differences in the source.
So, as Radish suggests, it's whatever sounds better to you, rather than the spec or brand of the components.
Hope this helps...

chenrikson
2009-02-19, 19:47
I have a Denon 3805 AVR. From the specs it has a Burr Brown DAC (PCM-1791). The SB3 appears to have a PCM-1748.

Is there a difference between these two... I'm guessing the higher model # is better? Also, are there any advantages/disadvantages of using the DAC in a receiver vs something semi-external like the SB3?

Check out the exact specs on the Burr-Brown website. I have the Duet with Wolfson DAC's -- the specs on the Burr-Brown in my AVR 3805 are better, particularly with respect to THD. I'll bet that the Denon is better, but YMMV!! :-)

radish
2009-02-19, 20:25
The specs of the DAC chip are only a small piece of a very large puzzle when it comes to sound quality. Simply comparing those won't tell you which overall system will sound better - only actually testing them can do that.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-20, 09:58
Yes, when it comes to A/V receivers, the DAC isn't the whole story. Usually they digitize analog inputs, so when you hear an analog input through a receiver, you're actually hearing SB3 DAC - receiver ADC - receiver DAC. This can sound good or bad depending on your preferences, the only way to know is to listen and try a "direct" or "bypass" mode which cuts out the ADC.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AV_Receivers