PDA

View Full Version : Selection granularity smaller than 'a track'

lac
2009-02-19, 08:24
I haven't been able to do something that I don't think is very unusual, that
is to sample my music with a granularity smaller than a track. Mostly I
would like to do one of 2 things.

1. Skip the music forward -- or backwards -- a bit.
2. Skip to a precise moment on this piece -- say 5 minutes 37 seconds from
the start

I haven't found a way to do this. I haven't actually found a way to look at
¨my music except as a collection of tracks. I want to navigate around inside
'tracks' and also have a way to skip around in my gapless classical music
collection.

So far I haven't been able to find a url that explains how to do this. What
am I missing? It's probably very obvious, but I haven't found it.

Thanks very much,
Laura

Dogberry2
2009-02-19, 08:52
Pressing and holding the "forward" and "back" buttons does a fast forward or rewind, respectively. I don't think there's a way to enter a specific, precise minute:second time-within-track to play from.

Moonbase
2009-02-19, 09:14
I actually feel there should be a way to »jump« around in »tracks«, like if you have a classical set (these usually have »Indices« on CDs), or if there is more than one song in a track.

I think this can be done using cue sheets, can anyone confirm this?
And is it possible to have kinda »cue sheet« for a single track?

radish
2009-02-19, 09:43
Something like kdf's Bookmark plugin?

http://code.google.com/p/kdfplugins/

andyg
2009-02-19, 09:47
Sure, you can create a cue sheet for any track.

Moonbase
2009-02-19, 15:37
Kewl! Thanks for the feedback, I’ll try that :-))

lac
2009-02-19, 15:44
I will try that as well. Thank you everyone.

Laura

GlenL
2009-02-20, 08:02
Pressing and holding the "forward" and "back" buttons does a fast forward or rewind, respectively. I don't think there's a way to enter a specific, precise minute:second time-within-track to play from.

Pressing and holding the FWD/REW button brings up the track 'timeline'
Once that is up you can use the scroll wheel to scroll to a specific time within the track.

Not sure if thats exactly what the OP is looking for, but I thought I would mention it.

lac
2009-02-20, 08:28
I am confused. 'What scroll wheel?'

Laura

slimpy
2009-02-20, 09:41
I am confused. 'What scroll wheel?'

On the controller.

-s.

Dogberry2
2009-02-20, 13:06
I am confused. 'What scroll wheel?'You didn't say which model SqueezeBox you are using, and I think GlenL assumed you have a Duet, which has a hand-held controller, with a "wheel" that allows scrolling through menu items. Other models don't have the Controller's display screen, or wheel.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-20, 14:15
You didn't say which model SqueezeBox you are using, and I think GlenL assumed you have a Duet, which has a hand-held controller, with a "wheel" that allows scrolling through menu items. Other models don't have the Controller's display screen, or wheel.

On other models, use the FF or REW keys on the remote. Press and hold, then move through the bar on the display. The audio will play from the cursor location. Press PLAY to play from that location or leave the cursor there.

lac
2009-02-20, 14:20
Are you talking about this thing?

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_controller.html

Because I don't have one. Instead I have several of these:

http://img.hexus.net/v2/audio/SD/Squeezebox/RemoteB.jpg

They don't have a wheel. Or are you talking about something else altogether?

Laura

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-20, 15:47
Instead I have several of these:

http://img.hexus.net/v2/audio/SD/Squeezebox/RemoteB.jpg

They don't have a wheel.

In that case, just use the <</REW and >>/FWD buttons as I indicated.

lac
2009-02-20, 18:42
Ok, thank you.

Moonbase
2009-02-23, 15:59
Sure, you can create a cue sheet for any track.

I had some spare time to try this today. I’d like to "separate" a track that has 3 "sub-titles" with Indexes, much the same many CDs (mostly classical) have. You can usually jump around between the index points (inside the track) using the "NEXT" and "BACK" controls on the CD remote.

So I took track #8 from ABBA's "Thank You for the Music" Disc #4 as a test case and put indexes at the song start positions into the track as follows:

ABBA - Pick a Bale of Cotton _ On Top of Old Smokey _ Midnight Special.cue

TITLE "Thank You for the Music (disc 4)"
PERFORMER "ABBA"
FILE "ABBA - Pick a Bale of Cotton _ On Top of Old Smokey _ Midnight Special.mp3" MP3
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Pick a Bale of Cotton / On Top of Old Smokey / Midnight Special"
PERFORMER "ABBA"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
INDEX 02 01:33:40
INDEX 03 02:36:62

What I was expecting was that I would be able to use the "REW" and "FWD" buttons on the SBC remote to "jump" between the index points, but this didn’t function.

(I could not, of course, use "artifical" track numbers for this, since they are all actually in track #8 of this disc, so it would have messed up SC’s database. And actually this is what indexes are meant for.)

Anything I did wrong? Or is it just that SC doesn’t support indexes? (I can seek in this file using "REW"+hold/"FWD"+hold and wheel, so the file should be seekable.)

Tested using SC 7.4-25121/Windows, SBC r4154, SBR r60.

---

What would be really nice, albeit a little "pushing the standard", would be the ability to NAME the sub-titles like this in a cue sheet:

TITLE "Thank You for the Music (disc 4)"
PERFORMER "ABBA"
FILE "ABBA - Pick a Bale of Cotton _ On Top of Old Smokey _ Midnight Special.mp3" MP3
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "Pick a Bale of Cotton / On Top of Old Smokey / Midnight Special"
PERFORMER "ABBA"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TITLE "Pick a Bale of Cotton"
INDEX 02 01:33:40
TITLE "On Top of Old Smokey"
INDEX 03 02:36:62
TITLE "Midnight Special"

EDIT: Titles for indexes could even be guessed if needed, since at least MusicBrainz use the pseudo-standard of separating parts of a track by the sequence "blank,slash,blank" (as opposed to a slash with no white space around it). I’d still suggest to prefer what’s in a cue sheet since user’s intention should be preferred over what a software "thinks".

---

EDIT: A quick glance at CUE.pm shows that INDEX values > 01 are currently not supported, so I filed bug 11168 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11168) against it.

You might want to vote for this bug, especially if you are a classical music lover and wish to keep the indexes that are on many good classical CDs. As Laura said in the opening post, it’s somehow simply expected to work.