PDA

View Full Version : Wierd choppy music issue

UNCMo96
2009-02-18, 19:04
I have a bizarre problem that I can't figure out:

I have a flac file of a song which:
1. Plays fine on MusicIP mixer on the sever.
2. Plays fine on Softsqueeze on multiple computers (connected via ethernet)

However, it plays choppy on BOTH of my SB3s connected via powerline ethernet. I connected one of the SB3s directly to the ethernet hub and the file still plays choppy. All the other tracks in the album play fine.

I've never had this happen before. The song is Viva la Vida by Coldplay.

Any thoughts?

iPhone
2009-02-18, 19:41

However, it plays choppy on BOTH of my SB3s connected via powerline ethernet. I connected one of the SB3s directly to the ethernet hub and the file still plays choppy. All the other tracks in the album play fine.

Any thoughts?

Can you discribe your network setup?

OK, basically you have proved its probably not the PLE. But it could still be the hub or anything else back to the SC Host. Can you easily run one of the SB3s directly off the PC running SC so that you can see if its the Hub?

I am now playing the song in FLAC FLAC Native over wireless and am not hearing any issues or seeing any buffering issues.

UNCMo96
2009-02-18, 20:43
I have a Verizon FIOS router (made by actiontec) which the squeezecenter computer is connected to. Connected to the router is a netgear wired hub. The powerline ethernet is connected from this hub. I have 2 powerlines which have my SB3s (they never worked well over wireless and powerline has worked flawlessly).

Just for kicks, I reripped the flac file of that song and put it in the library and still had the same issue with just that song. I tried hooking the squeezebox up directly to the FIOS router (no hub, no powerline) and still had the same issue. Every other song I've tried playing works fine with both directly hooking the SB3 to the router or using powerline ethernet.

Very wierd.... Has anyone ever seen this before?

toby10
2009-02-19, 04:26
I have a Verizon FIOS router (made by actiontec) which the squeezecenter computer is connected to. Connected to the router is a netgear wired hub. The powerline ethernet is connected from this hub. I have 2 powerlines which have my SB3s (they never worked well over wireless and powerline has worked flawlessly).

Very wierd.... Has anyone ever seen this before?

There are a number of postings in these and other forums about the FIOS Actiontec routers. They apparently don't play well with others. :)

Aesculus
2009-02-22, 15:04

Edit: Mine turned out to be a ethernet switch that was going south. I bypassed it and all the choppiness was gone.

Any thoughts?

Can you describe what you mean by 'choppy'? I just noticed a few tracks on an album of mine cut out every once in a while. I have not tried replaying them to see if they cut out in the same place, but I never had them do this before.

I am on a wired SBR and wired SC on a lightly load LAN.

UNCMo96
2009-03-08, 08:11
I reripped the song and everything works fine. Wierd.

Aesculus
2009-03-08, 08:46
I reripped the song and everything works fine. Wierd.

Mine turned out to be a bad network switch.