PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Speakers

parfour
2009-02-16, 17:19
Hi - i am sold on this network music thang and having recently moved house have the ability to bury cables etc. so i was thinking of ceiling speakers in dining room connected to sb receiver/classic....does anyone have any recommendations of the sorts of speakers i should be considering.....

aubuti
2009-02-16, 19:37
Hi - i am sold on this network music thang and having recently moved house have the ability to bury cables etc. so i was thinking of ceiling speakers in dining room connected to sb receiver/classic....does anyone have any recommendations of the sorts of speakers i should be considering.....
The key question is what is your budget? There's quite a price range even for in-ceiling speakers. I have 2 pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in my kitchen/dining area, and they are okay for the low end of the price range (about US$100/pair from Amazon). After I bought them someone advised me that I'd be better off with 8" drivers, and he was probably right because my Polks are pretty weak on the bass frequencies. But with all the wood and glass cabinets, hard floors/counters/table, and cooking noises it's hardly an audiophile environment to begin with....

jdbaker
2009-02-16, 20:34
I purchased 3 pairs of Niles CM800HD about 8 years ago and they have served me very well. They are located in the kitchen, living room and outdoor rear deck (installed under a wall popout). They are sourced from the SB3 analog to my Parasound C2 zone 2 and are powered by an old Adcom GFA 2535 amp. I think I paid about $300 a pair. Looks like that model has been discontinued and been replaced by the CM830 for about the same price. Great to run those wires when everything is open, good luck.

JDB

bobharp
2009-02-17, 06:32
Here is a link to a prior thread in this forum:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34944

Another very lengthy thread over at the AVS forum is on the Monoprice ceiling speakers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=991046

Good luck!

bklaas
2009-02-17, 08:08
Home Theater Direct makes their own speakers to pretty good reviews.

I have a pair of HD-R65s in my kitchen and a pair of HD-R80s in my living room. I'm quite happy with them.
http://www.htd.com/in-wall-ceiling-speakers/high-definition

cheers,
#!/ben

iPhone
2009-02-17, 09:39

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. It would really help to know your price range or budget? It also helps to know what they will be used for as well as what your expectations are? How many watts from the Receiver?

They could be something as simple as a pair of AUDIOSOURCE ATC6DM, Proficient C605 In-Ceiling, or Proficient W660 In-Wall speakers and then there is going all the way up into speakers like the Thiel HigherPlane 1.2s.

If it's low available power and only for background listening then I say go simple and cheap. Because background music is just that, something in the background. Where as listening to enjoy music and critical listening tends to require more expensive gear.

After seeing my Vandersteen VSM-1s on the wall in my Media Room and the white VSM-1s on the walls in my living room, my neighbor bought a pair off of Audiogon in white and mounted them on the wall in the living room facing into the dining room for good sound in both rooms. Most people don't notice them on the wall unless they are right on top of them.

As I said, there are tons of options and tons of speakers to chose from. So it really gets down to budget and what you expect from them.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-17, 09:50
Oh and while you're getting wiring done...have Cat-5e network outlets in each room!

Wireless issues are by far the biggest problem with these sorts of devices - and it's not these devices in particular, it's wireless in general. When it works, you don't think about it. But there are SO MANY ways for it to go wrong, and when it does, you are sometimes left with few options. Wire the network drops NOW, while it's cheap.