PDA

View Full Version : please help me pick a new router

SteveSatch
2009-02-16, 14:40
My friends said how great the Squeezebox was so I bought two Duets and a hard drive to store my music on. I have major connection issues and customer service says it's because of my Actiontec router. Can I please get suggestions for a router that has great reliability with the duets? My setup is wireless. I'm looking for something super easy to hook up because I am not tech savy. I'm weary of spending much money as I've already spent a bunch on something that isn't working and I have little faith in the Squeezebox right now. Thanks.

ddewey
2009-02-16, 15:20
Quoting SteveSatch (SteveSatch.3nq04z1234820701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> My friends said how great the Squeezebox was so I bought two Duets and a
> hard drive to store my music on. I have major connection issues and
> customer service says it's because of my Actiontec router. Can I
> please get suggestions for a router that has great reliability with the
> duets? My setup is wireless. I'm looking for something super easy to
> hook up because I am not tech savy. I'm weary of spending much money
> as I've already spent a bunch on something that isn't working and I
> have little faith in the Squeezebox right now. Thanks.

It's not the squeezebox. There are zillions of very happy users,
thousands of them on this forum alone. It's your router, as a quick
google just told me. :-) Have you tried updating it's firmware?
If you're not technical, this may not be something you want to
attempt, but it's worth a shot.

Otherwise, I've had reasonably good luck with Linksys wireless
access points and routers. I have two, one I need to reboot once a
month or so, the other is perfect, my three Squeezeboxes and
Controller connect flawlessly.

One man's opinion.

toby10
2009-02-16, 15:33
........Otherwise, I've had reasonably good luck with Linksys wireless
access points and routers. I have two, one I need to reboot once a
month or so, the other is perfect, my three Squeezeboxes and
Controller connect flawlessly.

One man's opinion.

+1

WRT54GL, works great, around $50, $30 to $40 if you catch a sale.

SteveSatch
2009-02-16, 15:58
The Actiontec firmware is up to date. I just want to buy a router that works. Is the WRT54GL a Linkys product? Any best place to buy from? Thanks.

pfarrell
2009-02-16, 16:02
SteveSatch wrote:
> The Actiontec firmware is up to date. I just want to buy a router that
> works. Is the WRT54GL a Linkys product? Any best place to buy from?
>
Yes, linksys.
Note carefully the trailing "L" ell letter. This is a special version,
up from the normal WRT54G

The GL version costs an extra $10 or so, but its well worth it.

BestBuy and other local geek stores sometimes have it in stock. All of
the mail order folks carry it.

NewEgg, Amazon, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Just google for WRT54GL and you will find lots of places that carry it

agillis
2009-02-16, 18:46
I love Linksys but there routers can't handle high packet throughput. I have spent a lot of time testing router throughput and the only router that measures up for under $500 is TRENDnet. I would get a TEW-633GR. You won't be sorry. Works well for gaming, VoIP, and audio streaming.

86atc250r
2009-02-16, 19:33
+1 for the WRT54GL. As others mentioned, note the L at the end.

I have not experienced any packet throughput problems at all with mine. I have logged 22mbps from wireless to wired devices (which is as good as I've seen from any wireless-G gear), 90 some odd mbps wired to wired across it's switch, and it handles my 8mbps internet connection via it's router with numerous connected devices without any trouble. I've also installed dozens of these routers for customers, friends, and family with no complaints.

In fact, I have about six of these routers in a business VOIP application that all connect to a central trixbox located in middle America - with GL's and phones as far away as Canada and even one in Hong Kong. The routers are even establishing & maintaining an OpenVPN connection to the trixbox prevent NAT issues with the VOIP. This system has been in place for about a year & I almost never have to work on it - it just works. Amazing for ~$50 hardware.

We also run a game server through another one of them with no trouble -- this particular one is one of three covering an 8000 sq/ft house, while also running VOIP and maintaining an OpenVPN session at all times.

Anyhow....

I'd also suggest running the DD-WRT firmware. I think this is an important part of not only giving you the flexibility to do all sorts of things, but to making the router rock solid reliable as far as consumer level devices go.

The system has great reliability and I have no trouble what-so-ever out of my network of squeezeboxen at home - they work well and reliably, no complaints at all.

jeffmeh
2009-02-16, 21:33
Additionally, I would suggest that, if you have done so already, you wire your SC Server rather than connecting through wireless. One wireless hop tends to work better than two.

radish
2009-02-16, 22:00
Another option - the D-Link DIR655 has been working great for me and a few others on this forum. Recommended.

peter
2009-02-17, 11:31
SteveSatch wrote:
> My friends said how great the Squeezebox was so I bought two Duets and a
> hard drive to store my music on. I have major connection issues and
> customer service says it's because of my Actiontec router. Can I
> please get suggestions for a router that has great reliability with the
> duets? My setup is wireless. I'm looking for something super easy to
> hook up because I am not tech savy. I'm weary of spending much money
> as I've already spent a bunch on something that isn't working and I
> have little faith in the Squeezebox right now. Thanks.

Wait a minute. Wireless performance depends on many factors, the
location of the router and the client and what's in between, the
presence of interfering routers from neighbors and other devices that
produce interference. There's no guarantee that your setup will work
even with the best router. Wired is the only thing that's virtually
guaranteed to work.

Regards,
Peter

peter
2009-02-17, 11:32
radish wrote:
> Another option - the D-Link DIR655 has been working great for me and a
> few others on this forum. Recommended.
>

It's OK, but I've found I have to reboot it every few weeks. Just like
the last one. :(

Regards,
Peter

radish
2009-02-17, 12:12
Weird, mine's been untouched for months.

Mitch Harding
2009-02-17, 13:28
So far I haven't found any router which doesn't have problems in some
scenario, if you do some research, even with the latest firmware or dd-wrt.
I just try to find one which works in my setup. I look for the ones which
generally get the most favorable reviews, and then work my way down the list
if the first one has issues I cannot resolve through firmware updates,
trying dd-wrt, fiddling with settings, etc.
I'm sure someday wireless will be as "plug and play" as wired networking,
but I think it's still a ways off.

Mitch

pfarrell
2009-02-17, 13:43
Mitch Harding wrote:
> I'm sure someday wireless will be as "plug and play" as wired
> networking, but I think it's still a ways off.

I don't expect this for decades.
After 11n is official, we can start learning about what we need for 11*
that will address the bad design of WiFi.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

12 Oz Mouse
2009-02-17, 13:44
Well I spent a month after Christmas trying to resolve a wireless router issue with my Draytek Vigor 2600G, which constantly dropped my two squeezebox 3s and my recently acquired Boom off the network, resulting in me having to reboot the router and close down SqueezeCenter every time. After getting no successful resolution from Vigor technical support, I decided to bite the bullet and bought 4 PL-85PE Homeplug 85Mbps which use the mains cable to transmit signals from the router around the house.

Brilliant! My wife (an avid hater of wires everywhere) hasn't even noticed the short ethernet cable runs from the wall sockets to the squeezeboxes. Sorted!

After more than a year of inconsistent experience with my wireless approach, I'm now able to actually enjoy my music reliably with no interruptions. I would really recommend this approach if you're having significant wireless problems.

peter
2009-02-17, 14:04
12 Oz Mouse wrote:
> Well I spent a month after Christmas trying to resolve a wireless router
> issue with my Draytek Vigor 2600G, which constantly dropped my two
> squeezebox 3s and my recently acquired Boom off the network, resulting
> in me having to reboot the router and close down SqueezeCenter every
> time. After getting no successful resolution from Vigor technical
> support, I decided to bite the bullet and bought 4 PL-85PE Homeplug
> 85Mbps which use the mains cable to transmit signals from the router
> around the house.
>
> Brilliant! My wife (an avid hater of wires everywhere) hasn't even
> noticed the short ethernet cable runs from the wall sockets to the
> squeezeboxes. Sorted!
>
> After more than a year of inconsistent experience with my wireless
> approach, I'm now able to actually enjoy my music reliably with no
> interruptions. I would really recommend this approach if you're having
> significant wireless problems.
>

Yeah, we hardly ever see any problems with these homeplug things here. NOT!

Regards,
Peter

agillis
2009-02-17, 19:52
I agree the WRT54GL running wrt is a very good solution. That was what I was running before I got the TEW-633GR. But I have a 15MB symmetric internet connection and the linksys just couldn't keep up. It started throttling my internet connection speed down when a lot of small packets when through it.

Also the TEW-633GR as N wireless so you have two radios working at the same time. Works great at getting through walls and interference even to G devices like SB. Of course there is no substitute for a hard wired connection and this router had GIG Ethernet so there is never a bottle neck to my server. All this for only $25 more they a WRT54GL.

The WRT54GL running WRT is a great solution though. Especially if you have a slow internet connection and only one SB.

iPhone
2009-02-17, 20:24
My friends said how great the Squeezebox was so I bought two Duets and a hard drive to store my music on. I have major connection issues and customer service says it's because of my Actiontec router. Can I please get suggestions for a router that has great reliability with the duets? My setup is wireless. I'm looking for something super easy to hook up because I am not tech savy. I'm weary of spending much money as I've already spent a bunch on something that isn't working and I have little faith in the Squeezebox right now. Thanks.

Well, OK. .... LinkSys. Your done. It sure does sound like a Actiontec router issue from what I have heard about them. Of course not being there, it could be anything right now. But if CS thinks it's your router, I would start there.

By the way, did I mention LinkSys?

SteveSatch
2009-02-17, 20:34
Well I hate to spend more money if a router won't fix it, but I'm ordering the WRT54GL from Newegg now. It's $60 plus tax but I don't see it cheaper anywhere. I don't know anything about running different firmware on it so I'm going to try the stock version and if that doesn't work try to figure out what this wrt is and how to do it :) I'll post a reply when I get it and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

pablolie
2009-02-17, 23:37
I got rid of all Duet compatibility issues when I got a Linksys WRT610N. Also supports HDTV wireless streaming to my TV in a 2 level home (router upstairs, TV downstairs).

I should note I had another linksys before (WRT54GX4 SRX400, if memory servies) and that was a compatibility disaster with the Duet.

toby10
2009-02-18, 03:24
Well I hate to spend more money if a router won't fix it, but I'm ordering the WRT54GL from Newegg now. It's $60 plus tax but I don't see it cheaper anywhere. I don't know anything about running different firmware on it so I'm going to try the stock version and if that doesn't work try to figure out what this wrt is and how to do it :) I'll post a reply when I get it and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

I run only the WRT54GL stock FW as well. Rock solid for my setup. But should you (now or later) have a need for the DD-WRT advanced options and tweaking you have that option if needed.

Like anything involving WiFi, do the basics:
- check for signal interference at the location(s) of your WiFi devices
- check for the strongest WiFi ch's (1 or 6 or 11) being broadcast by your neighbors and choose a different ch
- get the basic setup functioning properly with your devices before enabling every "feature" on the router
- secure your WiFi (WPA+AES) after initial device setup