PDA

View Full Version : fix for Actiontect router?

SteveSatch
2009-02-16, 14:19
I spent a lot of money on two Duets and another hard drive to fit my music on. These simply do not work with Verizon's Actiontec router. When can we see a fix?

ddewey
2009-02-16, 14:41
Quoting SteveSatch (SteveSatch.3npyzb1234819201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> I spent a lot of money on two Duets and another hard drive to fit my
> music on. These simply do not work with Verizon's Actiontec router.
> When can we see a fix?

>From Verizon?

SteveSatch
2009-02-16, 14:47
Are you saying a fix from Verizon? The router works for what Verizon says it will do. The Squeezebox is what's not doing what it says it will.

GlenL
2009-02-16, 14:56
Sonos also appears to have problems with Actiontec
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=7798&highlight=verizon

Looks like the issue is down to Verizon to sort out.

radish
2009-02-16, 17:54
Are you saying a fix from Verizon? The router works for what Verizon says it will do. The Squeezebox is what's not doing what it says it will.

It's all about standards. Assuming all devices adhere to standards then everything works, if some combination doesn't work then it implies someone isn't sticking to the standards. Given the huge number of complaints I've seen all over about the Actiontec I'd lay the blame at it's door unless someone can persuade me otherwise :) The general consensus seems to be that the Actiontec is garbage and you (or Verizon, even better) should replace it with something decent.

chenrikson
2009-02-17, 08:53
It's all about standards. Assuming all devices adhere to standards then everything works, if some combination doesn't work then it implies someone isn't sticking to the standards. Given the huge number of complaints I've seen all over about the Actiontec I'd lay the blame at it's door unless someone can persuade me otherwise :) The general consensus seems to be that the Actiontec is garbage and you (or Verizon, even better) should replace it with something decent.

Well, my Actiontec actually works pretty well, but then the receiver is hard wired and the controller is in the same room as the router. Still, there are these apparently random things that can foul everything up. Do you folks have any suggestions about a router that does work well and is also OK with FIOS?

herbman
2009-02-17, 12:42
I spent a lot of money on two Duets and another hard drive to fit my music on. These simply do not work with Verizon's Actiontec router. When can we see a fix?

Hello,

First, please understand this is NOT an official support forum, just a forum frequented by fans of the devices and some of the staff. You'll have much better luck with the support phone number and e-mail address.

Secondly, I have Verizon FIOS with an actiontec router. I'm using this for wireless as well as my main gateway, and my slim setup is perfect on it. I have a slimp3 connected to a Netgear wireless game adapter with no problems, and I use things like Pandora all the time from it, also with no problems.

Could you detail what *specific* problems you're having? Your tone doesn't suggest someone who wants this to work, rather someone who wants to complain and stamp his/her feet.

ChrisNY
2009-02-22, 10:40
FWIW, I have an Actiontec from Verizon and it is working for both of my Squeezeboxes (over Powerline Ethernet) and my Boom (wireless). Also works for my Chumby. If there's anything I can research on my setup which may be of use, please feel free to let me know. My model is MI424 Rev. D.

SteveSatch
2009-02-23, 19:59
I did use the official support people and didn't get any help other than being told they are trying to come up with a fix so it will work with the router.
My problem is both the duet controllers and receivers can't stay connected. I rarely can get through one song without losing the signal. The router works great for my laptop and wireless printer.

Hello,
First, please understand this is NOT an official support forum, just a forum frequented by fans of the devices and some of the staff. You'll have much better luck with the support phone number and e-mail address.
Secondly, I have Verizon FIOS with an actiontec router. I'm using this for wireless as well as my main gateway, and my slim setup is perfect on it. I have a slimp3 connected to a Netgear wireless game adapter with no problems, and I use things like Pandora all the time from it, also with no problems.
Could you detail what *specific* problems you're having? Your tone doesn't suggest someone who wants this to work, rather someone who wants to complain and stamp his/her feet.

peecee
2009-02-24, 14:46
I had nothing but problems with the Actiontec router. I have FIOS, and that router is a giant pile of steam. I turned off the wireless portion, picked up a wrt54gs and couldn't be happier. Plus, I needed some dhcp features the Actiontec didn't support, so I have dhcp running on the same server where squeezecenter is running.

MickeyG
2009-02-25, 14:25
Here's the currently open bug on this router:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8847

There are apparently issues with this router's DHCP over wireless support. The bug lists workarounds that can be employed.

Thank you for your patience while we work on this bug.

Mickey

TomS
2009-02-25, 18:35
I'm interested to know how this is a Logitech bug. I unfortunately have this router (I am a fios customer and need some of its capabilities for tv stuff), and I see this same problem (DHCP over WPA) with laptops as well.

I am planning on shutting off its wireless and putting a linksys in front of it, hopefully that will solve the problem for me.

EDIT: I should add that this only started happening on the last firmware update (over a year ago), which unrelated to this, broke reserved (static) ip's.

Tom