PDA

View Full Version : SQ3 manufacturing errors? (watch out)

tls
2009-02-15, 11:09
I own three SB3 units. One suddenly failed completely -- wouldn't power up at all. After replacing the power brick and checking for any sign the unit had been dropped (I do have a toddler around the house, so it's always a possibility) I concluded that it must have been dropped hard enough to break something inside, even though I could find no external evidence of this, and put it aside for later investigation.

Today I popped the lid and discovered that the problem was not actually physical abuse of the unit. Rather, it was a manufacturing error. The wireless module was loose inside the unit's case and had either shorted components so the unit wouldn't power up (there's a remarkable amount of pin-through soldered stuff on these devices, considering when they were designed!) or was simply impeding system startup due to its absence; no way to know once I took the case off and the wireless module fell out.

I assumed my kid had knocked the wireless module loose by knocking the unit over. Further examination showed that this was not the case. The wireless module is a standard MiniPCI module on a rather large and heavy carrier which is attached with a low-force nonstandard connector to the SB3 mainboard. At the other side of the carrier module from the connector is a large piece of double-stick foam tape, and there is a corresponding component-free area of the mainboard for the other side of this tape to attach to.

The tape on my unit was attached only to the carrier-module side. The mainboard side still had its peel-and-stick covering in place -- someone just skipped the "peel the backing off and stick the things together" step in manufacturing.

I took one of my other two units, which I knew to have never been dropped or shaken (it lives on a shelf the kid can't reach), apart, and discovered the same flaw. The third unit was correctly assembled. On the second unit, I discovered that simply turning the unit face-up (the wireless module is on the bottom with it so oriented) and giving it a *very* gentle shake was enough to cause the connector to release and the wireless module to fall off.

I don't know how common this problem is. But if your SB3 suddenly won't start -- the repair may be much easier than you think; on the other hand, it also may really not be your fault, and instead be something Logitech should have done right before selling the unit to you.

Uluen
2009-02-16, 01:19
(What is a SQ3? I guess you mean SB3 but you've written it 3 times in addition to the title, so maybe it's something else?)

Good find though, assuming you're talking about a Squeezebox :)

y360
2009-02-16, 02:45
I had the same problem with one of my SB3.
The wireless module stopped working a week after I bought the unit from Slim.
I had to ship it at my expense to Slim for fixing even though it was a brand new unit.
At the time I found it very strange that it would fail this way right out of the box.
Now it makes sense.