PDA

View Full Version : High End sound from Squeezboxes?

Alfetta87
2009-02-14, 00:53
Hi there,
I'm pretty new here, because I've got my Squeezebox Duet only yesterday. I'm not writing for the dedicated Duet forum because I think this is a general matter: sound quality.
I set up the Duet yesterday (took me some time to get it run), but after a good nicht with sleep (and snow in the morning), I could make it rum correctly.

First of all: it's a 'genius' device, good idea. The controller needs some time to get me in (or it's me ?!?), but now I got it. Manual is fairly poor, so by zapping tru the menues I got it right. Had to reset the controller to factory setting 3 times before it worked correctly.

Now my 'thing': I'm running the Duet on a very High-End stereo system, replacing my Tivx HD player (which sound very good with digital out connected to a DAC) - which player has a s**t menue and "Gui" (Giu? what Gui?); and above it makes noise (fan, harddisk).
Now, the Squeezebox is connected to the same DAC, but doesn't sound so good...
As far as I understood, the Squeezecenter is using Windows' own drivers, and iTunes (which I have installed on my Vista PC), right? Is it these items who manage the sound?
I'm an Audio freak (even professional designer), but not a PC geek; so since it's my first experience with PC audio on my stereo set (the Tivx was an independant player), I always wonder about for example Asio drivers, how to force them, because people say they are better drivers. Also, could it be possible to use Foobar or Songbird to run the Duet?

Thanks for your help :o
- dan

amcluesent
2009-02-14, 01:20
Windows drivers, ASIO etc has no relevance at all to the way the Duet works.

Have a read of the beginners guide - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide and read the Audiophile forum

>Now, the Squeezebox is connected to the same DAC, but doesn't sound so good..<

Have you ripped your CD using a lossless format? If you are using iTunes, by default it rips using a lossy encoder so your music won't sound like the original CD.

>Also, could it be possible to use Foobar or Songbird to run the Duet?<

Not yet. Coding an add-in to Songbird as been asked about on these forums.

ModelCitizen
2009-02-14, 02:19
I'm an Audio freak (even professional designer)
Maybe you should try to get a demo of the Transporter or try out the SB+ (www.at-tunes.co.uk) on a 30 day money back trial. In my experience the sound quality of the cheaper players (Receiver, SB Classic) via a DAC do not compare to the sound of the more expensive all-in-one players. (Can I get away with saying this outside of the Audiophile forum?).

MC

Mnyb
2009-02-14, 03:16
check your settings regarding file formats and volume.
volume should be fixed at 100% yes volume works the digital out to !
and no replay gain or similar.
You may just compare apples with oranges. the old source may simply be louder.

Because volume is not 100%
Because you use replay gain wich in general lower the volume of most music.
You should use a lossless file format such as flac.

Do not use bitrate limiting for the player as then everything will be 192kbps mp3 or what you have for a limit.

if using other lossless formats as alac or wma-lossles make sure that the server side transcoding is not making mp3 of it !
The output of the SqueezeBox is 24bit how does the dac handle that ?

These players as a digital source can compare to anything (bit perfect transfer proven many times), unless you want 24bit/96kHz then you must go for the transporter, or of course the transporter has superior analog circuits and DAC, so analog out from SB3 or SBR is ok I assume but not the same as a transporter or an exclusive really good dac.

I use an SB3 (digital coax out )into an Meridian G68J HT processor and it sound exactly the same as my Meridian disc player (on CD material ).

which version of SC 7.3.3 ?

toby10
2009-02-14, 03:47
...............As far as I understood, the Squeezecenter is using Windows' own drivers, and iTunes (which I have installed on my Vista PC), right? Is it these items who manage the sound?
I'm an Audio freak (even professional designer), but not a PC geek; so since it's my first experience with PC audio on my stereo set (the Tivx was an independant player), I always wonder about for example Asio drivers, how to force them, because people say they are better drivers. Also, could it be possible to use Foobar or Songbird to run the Duet?

Thanks for your help :o
- dan

From an audio standpoint the entire design concept of the SqueezeBox line of devices is to bypass all of that PC stuff (drivers, sound card, audio outputs, etc..) that will muck up the audio.
Instead, your digital audio files go directly to your SqueezeBox device where it is delivered bit perfect and unaltered to your stereo.

It doesn't "use" iTunes, it only access' the iTunes file where iTunes has stored your iTunes library of music. Be careful that your downloaded iTunes lossless files (if any) do not include DRM encoding which will make them un-playable on your Duet.

peter
2009-02-14, 06:50
ModelCitizen wrote:
> Alfetta87;396221 Wrote:
>
>> I'm an Audio freak (even professional designer)
>>
> Maybe you should try to get a demo of the Transporter or try out the
> SB+ (www.at-tunes.co.uk) on a 30 day mnoney back trial. In my
> experience the sound quality of the cheaper players (Receiver, SB
> Classic) via a DAC do not compare to the sound of the more expensive
> all-in-one players. (Can I get away with this saying this outside of
> the Audiophile forum?).

I agree. My pet theory is that they produce fatter bits ;)

Regards,
Peter

pablolie
2009-02-14, 10:48
Key question: how have you created your digital library? Do not expect your CDs to dound great if all you did was rip them using Windows Media Player's or iTunes standard settings. It'll just sound ok, and on a good system you will hear a marked difference between the original and a compressed digital copy.

If you are using the DAC, also make sure the Duet volume is always at 100% and control volume with your amp.

If you use uncompressed digital files, you are feeding exactly the same digital file into your DAC - meaning, there should be no difference in sound. And Windows audio drivers are not involved in this - the digital file is simply send via the computer's network interface to the Duet, which in your case sends it to the DAC. No need for audio conversion until that point.

Another possibility is hum if you are using the coax digital connector between Receiver and DAC. For that reason, I use the optical interface, even though some audiophiles claim it is a poor design.