PDA

View Full Version : Update Duet Controller as remote for your amp, now with volume control

Egnos
2009-02-11, 12:19
To control your amp with your Duet Controller you can use the enclosed zip file.
This example only works for a NAD amplifier (C352). But if you know the IR codes of your own amplifier you can easily change the applets for your amplifier.
In the previous verson of the applet it was not possible to control the volume with the normal buttons of the controller, this option is now added.

The enclosed zip file contains the following:
1. A map NADIR
2. The file Volume.lua

The applet under NADIR gives a extra menu in your controller to control your amp with IR codes for power on/off, volume up/down and input select. It is easy to add other functions but i did not needed that.

The file Volume.lua changes the function of the volume buttons on your controller to also send IR codes to the amp if you use the normal volume buttons on your controller.
It is best to fix the output in SqueezeCenter Setting to 100% (otherwise the volume applet gives a combination of IR control and digital volume control).

Installation
1. Unpack the RemoteAmp.zip file.
3. Copy the map NADIR to your controller (usr/share/jive/applets).
4. Copy the file Volume.lua to your controller (usr/share/jive/applets/Slimbrowser) WARNING: THIS MAP ALREADY CONTAINS A FILE Volume.lua. BACKUP THIS FILE BEFORE COPYING.

To copy the files to your controller enable external acces on your remote (SSH) and copy with for instance winscp.
The remote functions are now available under the home menu on your controller.

Thanks to TimT for modifying the png file and nogauss ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=394351#post394351 ) for the idea for volumecontrol.

The Moog
2009-02-12, 03:05
Can this be easily installed on a NAS?

Specifically, I am using a ReadyNAS Duo to run SqueezeCenter and have only ever installed plugins using the web interface. Also, can anyone tell me the correct IR commands for Musical Fidelity pre-amps?

Cheers,

The Moog

newy
2009-02-12, 05:47
This is exactly what I have wanted my Controller to do from the day I bought it. Right now it spends most of its time in the cradle cuz its annoying to have 2 remotes going at once to accomplish one task (listeniong to music) - I just use my Harmony universal. Unfortunately, I'm not that great with all this computer stuff. Would anyone recommend this procedure to an intermediate computer user or is it for the advanced only?

Also, where would one go to find the correct codes for a Cambridge Audio Azur 840A amp and wht would one done once they found them?

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-12, 08:16
Can this be easily installed on a NAS?

It's not being installed on a NAS or any SC for that matter, this goes directly into the Controller (which is really a computer, not a remote).

Also, can anyone tell me the correct IR commands for Musical Fidelity pre-amps?

Also, where would one go to find the correct codes for a Cambridge Audio Azur 840A amp and wht would one done once they found them?

Check http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/ or you can use the IR Blaster plugin in learning mode if you have an SB2, SB3/SB Classic or Transporter: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/IRLearning

newy
2009-02-12, 12:39
Could anyone write this up into sort of a "setup for dummies" version?

I think Step 2 is missing but its probably more than that that I need.

I think I found the cambride Audio Amp codes here: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/AP194951azur840ACIRRemoteControlCommands.pdf but I'm not really sure what to do with them.

I don't use any plugins so I'm not really sure where to put stuff or how to use it but this is THE ONE thing I need!! Cheers.

Egnos
2009-02-12, 14:09
Newy

Sorry there is no step2 that was my mistake.

For your amp you can probably use the winlirc file http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/cambridge_audio/X40A

It looks like a RC5 based remote, to learn how to implement this have a look at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=395154#post395154 and have a look at the instructions on the ArcamIr v2.zip file. It has instructions for RC5 based remotes.
You can use the codes in the applet i provided.

good luck

newy
2009-02-12, 14:49
...I wish I knew what an applet was. I think I'm screwed.

MadScientist
2009-02-14, 03:31
I'm using a modified volume.lua file to control my Meridian amp. It's a great development but there are a few drawbacks that I've found.

The most serious one is if you use headphones plugged into your Controller -you get a lot of interference (from the ir emissions?) when adjusting the volume. This doesn't bother me too much but it might some.

A second annoyance is that you have to reinstall everytime there's a software update. I wonder if it's possible to ever get the option of a 'custom-volume.lua' file which doesn't get wiped and and has priority if present?

MS

newy
2009-02-19, 11:58
Can someone tell me how I get to the folder described in Step 3 above, starting from the "My Computer" icon on my desktop? I've tried looking everywhere for the "USR" folder but I can't find it. Arrrggghhh. Thanks.

MadScientist
2009-02-20, 06:17
Hi Newy

You need install WinSCP which is a secure copy application. Google WinSCP to find the latest version to download

You also need to enable remote login on the Controller (which will give you a password 1234).

On WinSCP enter:-
'Host name': yourController's ip address
'login name': root
'password': 1234

Ignore 'private key file' and use SCO as the protocol. Ignore any error 127 message on log in

Navigate to the folder on the right hand pain of WinSCP. Copy the folder into the applet directory. (Make a backupcopy of the original Volume.lua first).

Hope this helps

MS

newy
2009-02-20, 12:52
I finally figured that out. Now I just need to figure out how I can edit the code. See the (long) thread on the Duet board. Thanks again for your help!

Egnos
2009-02-20, 15:00
Newy

Very curious to the results. Keep trying at the end it will work

newy
2009-02-21, 08:32
I'm guessing I can alter the code in the .lua file in Windows Notepad and then use SCP to transfer the altered .lua file(s) to the Controller?

Which. lua would I begin to alter first?

I think I've hit a roadblock once again cuz when I opened an .lua file file in Notepad I really had no, and still don't have, any clue as to where to begin.

Way confusing if you're not a coder.

Egnos
2009-02-21, 14:25
You are making progress nice!

First edit the NADIRapplet. lua. (or you can use the codes from the ArcamIE_V2.zip located in the ArcamIRApplet.lua and use them in the NADIRapplet.lua which probably has better codes for your amp).

Leave the Volume.lua alone until you have the NADIRapplet.lua working.
If thats ok use the codes from the MADIRApplet.lua to change the volume.lua.

Let us know if this helps you a step further

newy
2009-02-22, 09:27
Just posted this on the Duet board:

"Sorry for the trouble but I was just messing around with my Controller to see if a plugin that I had recently installed works and inadvertently hit the volume down button and, to my amazement, my Cambridge Audio 840A responded!

I installed the ARCAMI_V2 file on Friday to see if I could do it but never thought of actually testing it because I thought I would have to edit it with the Cambridge Audio codes.

The volume up button raises the volume by about 6 notches. Volume down button lowers volume by a similar amount.

Awesome. Thanks!!!!"

Cheers.

Egnos
2009-02-23, 03:01
Great that it works

Now you can play with the lua files.

The User Interface of NADIR is to my opinion nicer than the interface of the ARCAM files.
Use the Volume.lua of the ARCAM and enter the codes of the ARCAM in the NADIRApplet.lua.