PDA

View Full Version : Yet another beginner question: local source

alteraffe
2009-02-10, 16:55
Hi,

I am planning to use several squeezeboxes for multiroom purposes.

What I haven't come across is whether it is possible to "feed" a local source into the network. E.g. I want to listen to the TV sound also in the kitchen. Or in "partymode", I may choose to play a CD which somebody brought along (and I do not want to rip it first)...

Would this be possible at all?

The transporter has input plugs. Would this allow me to add this as a local source to the network?

Thanks!
Markus

danco
2009-02-11, 01:49
There is a CDPlayer plugin that enables you to put a CD in your computer and play it to your Squeezeboxes.

For more general sound sources, such as the TV, you can get programs NIcecast on the Mac, don't know Linux or Windows, but I am sure similar programs exist) that turn sound from the computer into a broadcast stream that SqueezeCenter can feed to the Squeezeboxes.

funkstar
2009-02-11, 03:21
Would this be possible at all?

The transporter has input plugs. Would this allow me to add this as a local source to the network?
The inputs on the Transporter just feed the internal DAC directly, the audio stream is not sent over the network. The same is true for the input on the Boom (although it is completely analogue instead).

There are a couple of ways to fudge this functionality, but it isn't really part of the initial usage model. The SqueezeBox range is designed to play out ripped content or internet radio.

Mick Seymour
2009-02-12, 00:34
There is also a WaveInput plugin that allows you to send whatever is plugged into your soundcard line-in jack to Squeezeboxes. I'm planning on wiring the record out from my preamp to my server in this way so I can listen to records (remember them?) in the garden through a Boom.

funkstar
2009-02-12, 03:35
There is also a WaveInput plugin that allows you to send whatever is plugged into your soundcard line-in jack to Squeezeboxes. I'm planning on wiring the record out from my preamp to my server in this way so I can listen to records (remember them?) in the garden through a Boom.
Thats very true, there is that way of doing it. Although I thought alteraffe wanted to connect the external player to an actual SlimDevices player and stream it over the rest of his network. For WavInput the player would need to be connected to the server :)