PDA

View Full Version : Wiki translations ?

BlueScreenJunky
2009-02-09, 06:28
I was about to post that on the french forum, but I figured we might as well discuss it together, since the problem is basically the same no matter what your laguage is.

so, here's the deal : I browsed the french forums and noticed that people come asking things that are answered in the wiki... But of course if they're posting in the french forum there's a possibility they can't understand the wiki. I'm rather good at translating from English to French, and I'm beginning to understand how the SB,SC & SN work, so I thought I'd begin translating the wiki (at least the beginner's guides to begin with).

However, I'm not sure about what I should do : I'm not familiar with mediawiki (or any wiki for that matter), so I don't know if there's something to handle translations for existing articles, or if I should just just write new articles in french ? If so, should we add an "other languages" section on the main page wich would point to french/german/chinese/other languages ?

thanx !

funkstar
2009-02-09, 07:27
I think thats a really good idea :)

The best way to do it would be at add a MediaWiki extension to handle the page translations.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Translating_extensions

There is a lot of work that could be done to the Wiki, personally I think it's really plain and boring and some prucing up would be a good idea. I really do mean to have a go at learning the syntax for Mediawiki :)

mherger
2009-02-09, 07:39
> I was about to post that on the french forum, but I figured we might as
> well discuss it together, since the problem is basically the same no
> matter what your laguage is.

Great idea, thanks!

> so, here's the deal : I browsed the french forums and noticed that
> people come asking things that are answered in the wiki... But of
> course if they're posting in the french forum there's a possibility
> they can't understand the wiki.

I could report the same for the German forum... I'll get in touch with our web guys and will see what we can do. Would really be great if we had some localized content. Thanks for the heads up!

--

Michael

pfarrell
2009-02-09, 10:39
Michael Herger wrote:
> Great idea, thanks!

Does the wiki software detect the user's LOCALE and point to the right
pages? or do you need
fr.wiki.slimdevices.com and de.wiki.slimdevices.com?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

peter
2009-02-10, 10:11
Pat Farrell wrote:
> Michael Herger wrote:
>
>> Great idea, thanks!
>>
>
> Does the wiki software detect the user's LOCALE and point to the right
> pages? or do you need
> fr.wiki.slimdevices.com and de.wiki.slimdevices.com?
>

No, please. Not the locale, nobody uses that, thankfully.

I don't want to be redirected to some badly maintained Dutch version.

Regards,
Peter

BlueScreenJunky
2009-02-10, 11:08
True. I believe most users will still want to use the english version of the wiki. Maybe a few flags in the upper-right corner of the page would be a better solution ?

mherger
2009-02-10, 13:11
> I don't want to be redirected to some badly maintained Dutch version.

It's a wiki - you can help us make it a _great_ translation ;-)

Michael