PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server

master_marcel
2009-02-08, 02:31
I notice that there is a special release for Windows home server. I was wondering, are there plans to intregrate the web gui into Windows home server console?

mherger
2009-02-08, 03:08
> I notice that there is a special release for Windows home server. I was
> wondering, are there plans to intregrate the web gui into Windows home
> server console?

What kind of integration would you like to see?

Michael

steveh
2009-02-08, 03:51
Any further details of this version available anywhere before I try it out?

mherger
2009-02-08, 05:50
> Any further details of this version available anywhere before I try it
> out?

See the following link for the 7.3.3 changes:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/7.3/trunk/server/Changelog7.html?view=co

Other than that it's a simple add-on wrapped around the regular Windows
installer. The only advantage over the installer is you can install it
from your WHS' add-on folder through the console (instead of remote
logging in to it).

That said - what features would you like to see in a WHS console for SC?

Michael

Muckle_Eck
2009-02-08, 06:23
I think the fact that I can install SC without having to remotely access the server makes life much easier.

As you can change all of the settings using the web gui, don't see much need for a specific front end within the WHS console.

steveh
2009-02-08, 07:42
Will it install over the .exe version or is that not a good idea? Do you still need remote access to set the start up options and run SC as a service?

Thanks

Don't see a reason for a console tab either.

MeSue
2009-02-08, 08:12
I see no point in putting the Web GUI into the console. It's a lot faster to open a web browser than the WHS console. However, it would be nice to have a way to restart SC remotely since you need to do that when installing and updating plugins.

Steve: I installed over the exe version. The first time it complained about not being able to replace squeezetray.exe and I had to close it down via remote desktop. Michael may have fixed that. Other than that, all went fine. It starts up as a service on its own.

master_marcel
2009-02-08, 08:12
> I notice that there is a special release for Windows home server. I was
> wondering, are there plans to intregrate the web gui into Windows home
> server console?

What kind of integration would you like to see?

Michael

First I have to say I love Squeezecenter, but what intregration I like to see? I want to manage everything from the Windows Home Server Console. So I like to see a icon in the Windows Home Server console what opens the (web)gui from Squeezecenter. Second is it possible to give notifications what the status is from Squeezecenter through the home server connector software?

Maybe there are other Windows Home Server users overhere with other idea's...

gbruzzo
2009-02-08, 08:15
Will it install over the .exe version or is that not a good idea? Do you still need remote access to set the start up options and run SC as a service?

Thanks

Don't see a reason for a console tab either.

Why not? I think it would be interesting to be able to access at least a subset of functions from a console tab. I would like to be able to browse my music collection from the console tab, and possibly access the settings panel also from the settings tab. The idea being, that you streamline your software as much as possible (and put it onto a level playing field) with other applications such as firefly). It makes "marketing" sense - it is something that Logitech could "announce" as a new "feature" (even if it is really not a "feature").

regards,

Giacomo

MeSue
2009-02-08, 08:23
I want to manage everything from the Windows Home Server Console.

Wow... really? I can go months without ever opening the WHS console, but my web browser is open all day every day. But if it was there it wouldn't matter to me. I'd just go on using it the way I have been--through the browser.

Using the console to see if it is running and to stop and start it would be useful since that is not provided in the WebUI. Maybe an option to change the port SC uses, since SC conflicts with the port that PV Connect uses on HP MediaSmart servers. But I think that is in the WebUI already.

WGS
2009-02-08, 08:28
A WHS add-in is fantastic news - really glad to see this is being worked on.

In terms of integration, anything that would otherwise require the user to remote into the home server itself needs pulling into the WHS Console. Definitely changing ports is required in the console, as MeSue says.

Personally, I'm happy controlling SqueezeCenter through the browser, but agree that a button to open the correct browser link on a client computer would be very useful.

Terry

steveh
2009-02-08, 11:47
Thanks for all the replies, it installed over the previous version without any issues. I too would like to see a SC service stop, restart function available either via the browser GUI or via the WHS console

rsk21
2009-02-08, 12:56
Hi

Am trying to install thsi via the WHS console but receiving an error about half way through - " Service squeezesvc failed to start. Verify you have suficient sytem privileges to start system services"

Any ideas ?

bonze
2009-02-08, 13:01
I can't think of anything to add to a console tab.
Unless as someone else suggested a simple shortcut to open a browser, but that would have to take into account port changes.
But I'd rather stick to the Web GUI from a desktop, or simple browsing of a shared folder.

I'd also like to see a way of stop/starting the service, but also from an SB3 and/or Controller. This is probably possible with the ExecuteScript plugin, but I haven't quite got my head round that one.

jm9843
2009-02-08, 17:48
Can you manage plugins from the WHS SqueezeCenter tab? I haven't installed the add-in just yet.

Basically, I echo what another commenter said. Anything that would require RDP'ing to the WHS should be integrated in the tab.

jm9843
2009-02-08, 18:37
Oh,

Managing Squeeze Network stuff through the home console would be nice too.

MeSue
2009-02-08, 18:43
Can you manage plugins from the WHS SqueezeCenter tab? I haven't installed the add-in just yet.

There's no tab for it (yet). At this point, all it does is allow you to install SC from the add-ins section of the console so you no longer have to use RDC to install or update SC. Also, it installs so that SqueezeTray.exe is not run.

Kiwi
2009-02-08, 20:00
Wow... really? I can go months without ever opening the WHS console, but my web browser is open all day every day. But if it was there it wouldn't matter to me. I'd just go on using it the way I have been--through the browser.

Using the console to see if it is running and to stop and start it would be useful since that is not provided in the WebUI. Maybe an option to change the port SC uses, since SC conflicts with the port that PV Connect uses on HP MediaSmart servers. But I think that is in the WebUI already.

I completely agree with MeSue, the only capabilities to put in the WHS console are those that can't be done with the browser interface for SqueezeCenter. So far I have read these;
1. Installation of SC
2. Stopping and starting the service
3. Status of service
4. Changing the HTTP port

There may be some more that folks can come up with but let's keep development resources focused on the common interface for all platforms by using the browser interface.

mherger
2009-02-09, 00:04
> Why not? I think it would be interesting to be able to access at least
> a subset of functions from a console tab.

That's why I've been asking _what_ subset you'd like to see.

Michael

mherger
2009-02-09, 00:07
> Definitely changing ports is required in the console, as MeSue
> says.

I've added some code last week which would try harder to work around busy
port issues. If port 9000 is used by another application, it will try a
few others before giving up. Would you still think the port should be
configurable through the console? What's causing the port conflict on your
system?

Michael

mherger
2009-02-09, 00:09
> Second is it possible to
> give notifications what the status is from Squeezecenter through the
> home server connector software?

As I'm still very new to WHS and concentrated more on the server side of
things than the client... is the connector the software you install on
your client PCs? The tray icon which announces new software updates etc.?

Michael

mherger
2009-02-09, 00:09
> Can you manage plugins from the WHS SqueezeCenter tab? I haven't
> installed the add-in just yet.

You can manage plugins (including installation, removal etc.) from within
SC. No need to fiddle on the file system any more.

Michael

mherger
2009-02-09, 00:10
> Managing Squeeze Network stuff through the home console would be nice
> too.

Please define SqueezeNetwork stuff. This sounds rather like an oxymoron to
me: why would you bother running your SB on SqueezeNetwork if you have a
WHS running?

Michael

mariowing
2009-02-09, 00:35
I think it is great that you now support Windows Home Server which I feel is a great platform for the technical people like my self who really sees the benefits of having a powerful home server (and not only a nas box) but don't won't to be bother with all that Linux stuff.

At the moment I am running the SC WHS AddIn, SageTV WHS Edition for recording TV and TVersity (not official supported on WHS yet) to do transcoding of videos for my 360 (and playback of the SageTV recorded shows on the XBox as well).

I would like to add a vote to the suggestion that the AddIn GUI should have a button for restarting the service and also the other few options mentioned in this thread that are not accessible through the web gui. As that leaves a lot of room on the AddIn page the rest could be occupied of some statistics, like last scan time, version information and general library information.

Of course I would also like to see some kind of UPNP functionality, but I guess that is to much to wish for... At the moment I am using Erlends Static Playlist plugin to generate static playlists once a day (like my favorite songs, new songs etc) and those lists are imported into TVersity so that I can enjoy them on my Denon 3808 which supports UPNP connections. But thats is another story I guess :-)

WGS
2009-02-09, 00:46
> Second is it possible to
> give notifications what the status is from Squeezecenter through the
> home server connector software?

As I'm still very new to WHS and concentrated more on the server side of
things than the client... is the connector the software you install on
your client PCs? The tray icon which announces new software updates etc.?

Michael

That's correct - the Connector, or "Windows Home Server Connector" is the software which runs on clients to connect PCs to the home server. People often interchange "Connector" for "Console" which is the dashboard which runs on any home computer and allows you to control elements of the home server. SO basically, you're correct in your assumption.

With regard to what causes the major conflict, it's Twonky Media Server (A DLNA compliant media server) which ships on all HP MediaSmart Servers and the Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo Home Server and uses 9000 as it's default port. If SC can automatically switch ports if it sees 9000 being used, that would be fantastic.

Terry

JJZolx
2009-02-09, 01:13
I would like to add a vote to the suggestion that the AddIn GUI should have a button for restarting the service

I would think this would be a requirement, not just a suggestion, considering the fact that the architecture of SqueezeCenter requires restarting the server to install a plugin. It makes little sense to go to the trouble of creating an installer that relieves users of using Terminal Services for the install, and then making them use TS for the more everyday task of installing and uninstalling plugins.

mherger
2009-02-09, 01:49
Yeah, start/stop sounds like the absolute, bare minimum we need. It's already working here (and no, this is no code worth publishing yet). One advantage of the WHS console over eg. the task icon is that it's run using the privileges you need to start/stop services.

> It makes little sense to go
> to the trouble of creating an installer that relieves users of using
> Terminal Services for the install, and then making them use TS for the
> more everyday task of installing and uninstalling plugins.

FWIW: I'm updating SC much more often than I install plugins.

--

Michael

gbruzzo
2009-02-09, 03:21
I would think this would be a requirement, not just a suggestion, considering the fact that the architecture of SqueezeCenter requires restarting the server to install a plugin. It makes little sense to go to the trouble of creating an installer that relieves users of using Terminal Services for the install, and then making them use TS for the more everyday task of installing and uninstalling plugins.

I guess you could add functionality to the "Settings" tab of the console and create a separate tab for Squeezecenter.

I second these:

1) a button for starting/stopping the service
2) the ability to access the plugin infrastructure from the console
3) the ability to change ports from the console

A crazy (and possibly not very pertinent) idea: being able to access and modify tags manually from whithin the console (although this request may be better placed as a request for a new plugin). MyMovies (a WHS add-in which enables automated ripping on the WHS) allows one to access the tracks and manually alter the tags.

regards,

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2009-02-09, 03:23
Btw,

something I forgot - If you install RipNas Essentials (another automated secure ripper via external CD/DVD drive) by DbPowerAmp on WHS, you can essentially launch Squeezecenter from its settings tab.

mherger
2009-02-09, 03:33
> 3) the ability to change ports from the console

I still don't understand this request. That's at worst a one time change. You very likely never touch it again. Why would you want to have it in the pole position? (Plus this issue should be handled much better in the latest 7.3.3 builds)

--

Michael

bonze
2009-02-09, 03:40
There's no tab for it (yet). At this point, all it does is allow you to install SC from the add-ins section of the console so you no longer have to use RDC to install or update SC. Also, it installs so that SqueezeTray.exe is not run.I've never used RDC to install SC.
Tried it a couple of times and it got confused with permissions, so I stuck with install via the Console.

I'd recommend the 'Advanced Admin Console' WHS Add-In.
It installs as an extra tab and has shortcuts for 'My Computer', 'Administrative Tools' (which includes 'Services') etc.
Also lets you add your own shortcuts.

For SC install, I go in through the Console, navigate to the correct shared folder and double-click the install file.

For restarting the Service, Console> AAC Tab > Admin Tools > Services.

gbruzzo
2009-02-09, 03:41
> 3) the ability to change ports from the console

I still don't understand this request. That's at worst a one time change. You very likely never touch it again. Why would you want to have it in the pole position? (Plus this issue should be handled much better in the latest 7.3.3 builds)

--

Michael

Dear Michael,

I see your point - you are actually quite right.

could you please elaborate on your last statement ("this issue should be handled much better...")?

thanks,

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2009-02-09, 03:44
I've never used RDC to install SC.
Tried it a couple of times and it got confused with permissions, so I stuck with install via the Console.

It installs as an extra tab and has shortcuts for 'My Computer', 'Administrative Tools' (which includes 'Services') etc.
Also lets you add your own shortcuts.

For SC install, I go in through the Console, navigate to the correct shared folder and double-click the install file.

For restarting the Service, Console> AAC Tab > Admin Tools > Services.

Fair point - I had it installed on my first WHS, it made my console unstable and finally decided to uninstall it - Will give it a go again.

PS: how is the T2? I once had a T7, now moved to SQA. Good machines IMHO.

regards,

Giacomo

mherger
2009-02-09, 03:59
> could you please elaborate on your last statement ("this issue should
> be handled much better...")?

As I said in an earlier comment we've added code to try harder to bring SC up. If the default 9000 (or whatever SC is configured to use) is in use by another application (eg. Twonky), it will automatically use a different port. We're probing 9000-9010, 9100, 8000 and 10000. It's an arbitrary selection, but it's unlikely any system will be using all of these already. SC should successfully start in most of these cases. But we'd still need some means to tell the user what port it's actually using. Doesn't matter if you're accessing it using the tray icon, but on WHS this is a different story. Therefore a link to SC would come in handy.

Up until a few days ago SC would simply quit with an error if its port was being used by some other app.

--

Michael

bonze
2009-02-09, 06:36
Fair point - I had it installed on my first WHS, it made my console unstable and finally decided to uninstall it - Will give it a go again.

PS: how is the T2? I once had a T7, now moved to SQA. Good machines IMHO.

regards,

GiacomoI couldn't be without the AAC Add-In now.

T2 is good, quiet and just sits on the wall doing it's thing.
Not sure about any upgrade path though. I would like to add more memory and a faster NIC.

MeSue
2009-02-09, 09:07

I've never tried that one. When I first got the HP MediaSmart, I piled on the add-ins, and ended up having to do a factory reset 2 months after I got it. Since then I have only installed the Microsoft Toolkit, and now SqueezeCenter add-ins. I tried the McAfee and PVConnect that HP provided, but they made the console unstable and I had to remove them. Except for maintaining SC, I pretty much just leave the server alone.

c3p00
2009-02-09, 09:59
Nice to see slimserver getting packaged as a whs add-in. The one thing I'd like to see is integration with the whs LightsOut add-in. For those who don't know, lightsout is an power management plugin that puts whs into sleepmode whenever it's not in use. Unfortunately it's a little bit stupid when it comes to clients that doesn't run windows. So my squeezebox can easily wake up whs, but it will go to sleep again after a set time.

If slimserver could stop the lightout service when the player is on, I think that would rectify the problem. Another solution would be to start a "dummy" service, like "SlimserverRunningService", that the lightsout plugin can check for (this functionality is already in the plugin).

Any solution that would keep whs running when my player is on would be great!

mherger
2009-02-09, 10:04
> start a "dummy" service, like "SlimserverRunningService", that the
> lightsout plugin can check for (this functionality is already in the
> plugin).

why not check squeezesvc?

--

Michael

cavediver
2009-02-09, 12:06
> Definitely changing ports is required in the console, as MeSue
> says.

I've added some code last week which would try harder to work around busy
port issues. If port 9000 is used by another application, it will try a
few others before giving up. Would you still think the port should be
configurable through the console? What's causing the port conflict on your
system?

Michael

PV Connect is the default media service on the HP Mediasmart Server. It's probably PV Connect that's causing the port conflicts.

I'd like to see Squeezecenter run as a service and restart itself each time the server is restarted. Recognize port conflits and give the ability to manually configure the ports via the console unless it can automatically recognize a conflict and re-configure the ports itself upon installation. A browser link is essential. Set up playlists from the console.

c3p00
2009-02-09, 12:53
>> start a "dummy" service, like "SlimserverRunningService", that the
>> lightsout plugin can check for (this functionality is already in the
>> plugin).

>why not check squeezesvc?

Is that service only running when the player is connected (playing)? Otherwise I'd guess that my whs will never go to sleep (since I never shut down slimserver). Perhaps I'm missing something?

mherger
2009-02-09, 12:59
>> why not check squeezesvc?
>
> Is that service only running when the player is connected (playing)?

No, that's the SC service (if SC is configured to run as a service). The
WHS add-in will automatically register SC to run in the background. The
above service should be running all the time.

Michael

mherger
2009-02-09, 13:01
> PV Connect is the default media service on the HP Mediasmart Server.
> It's probably PV Connect that's causing the port conflicts.

On the HP Mediasmar it seems to be Twonky which uses port 9000.

> I'd like to see Squeezecenter run as a service and restart itself each
> time the server is restarted. Recognize port conflits and give the

Done.

> ability to manually configure the ports via the console unless it can
> automatically recognize a conflict and re-configure the ports itself
> upon installation.

TB investigated.

> A browser link is essential. Set up playlists from
> the console.

Definitely on the todo list.

Michael

Jaap_98
2009-02-09, 14:58
Hi Michael,
great to see WHS is now on the radar.
I have had a lot of problems getting alien bbc to work on the whs, could this perhaps be intergrated with the install of this whs addin?
i know this is not actually a feature for your add-in but it would be a huge service!
with regards to the features of the addin, start restarts stop are most def useful, as would be some stats as metioned earlier(prev scan time etc.)
I agree most maintainance will still be done through the browser, and , for me at least, this would mostly "just" (serious understatement) help with the install process.(and upgrades?)(but lets see what features come up;) ).
Hence the eventual possibility of including difficult addins like alien.

Many thanks!!
Jaap

mherger
2009-02-09, 15:03
> I have had a lot of problems getting alien bbc to work on the whs,
> could this perhaps be intergrated with the install of this whs addin?

I _think_ there are legal issues which prevent us from shipping mplayer
(codecs).

What particular problem did you have installing AlienBBC on WHS? Were they
particular to WHS or Windows in general?

Michael

MeSue
2009-02-09, 15:08
> PV Connect is the default media service on the HP Mediasmart Server.
> It's probably PV Connect that's causing the port conflicts.

On the HP Mediasmar it seems to be Twonky which uses port 9000.

FYI - Twonky and PV Connect are the same thing. The add-in for the HP server calls it PV Connect, but under the hood it is Twonky.

adrianb
2009-02-09, 15:28
Wonderful news - when I first installed squeezecenter on WHS I had to search all over for instructions on how to do it.
Personally, I dont see any need for a tab in the console - I hardly ever open it. And that's just duplicating behaviour we already have in the browser.
My 2 cents.

MuckleEck
2009-02-09, 16:16
OK so now my 2 cents worth.

a) The ability to install as an add-in ...yipeee..no more remote desktop etc
b) as far as the console is concerned:-
1) Start/Stop of SC
2) Detailed Stats of last scan and any changes from previous scan.
c) Ability to add plug-ins to SC.

That is about it.

Many thanks

Alasdair

P.S. Michael is the snow any good near Stoos?

Wallman
2009-02-09, 18:41
I'd definitely like to see a way to start the service from the console. After installing (both from the .exe and the new .msi) Squeezecenter loads onto my server, but doesn't seem to start. If I go into service I can start it up. Any ideas if I'm missing a step? I didn't think you needed to reboot after installing.

Jaap_98
2009-02-10, 01:52
Dear Michael,

just reinstalled squeezeserver and alien to be able to describe the problem I had, and now it works! unbelievable.

Anyway do look forward to your whs plugin, perhaps it would be possible to send a message to connector when:
1 updates are available
2 there are network issues (internet connection down etc.)

Good luck and thanks,

Jaap

mherger
2009-02-10, 02:26
> Anyway do look forward to your whs plugin, perhaps it would be possible
> to send a message to connector when:
> 1 updates are available

7.4/8.0 will have automatic update download. As this will be stored in WHS' add-in folder, it should automatically be announced to the connector.

> 2 there are network issues (internet connection down etc.)

Will see what I can do. Some general status information (starting/stopping/running) might be interesting.

--

Michael

Jaap_98
2009-02-10, 03:00
re your service startup: did you goto start/programs/squeezeserver and set the startup options to server.
I created another user WHS Services w/o all admin rights and use that to run the serv under. just enter username/password and it "should" work.
if not, login under the second user and repeat process.
Then after ologging off, the service should still run.

I don't think it is a good idea having any app using admin privilidges specially on WHS.

good luck!

Wallman
2009-02-10, 04:15
Jaap, thanks for the tip. I forgot to change the startup. Michael -- having this setup automatically from the add-in would be a nice feature!

mherger
2009-02-10, 04:49
> Jaap, thanks for the tip. I forgot to change the startup. Michael --
> having this setup automatically from the add-in would be a nice
> feature!

On new installations the add-in will install SC to run as a service.

--

Michael

cavediver
2009-02-10, 06:09
>
> 2 there are network issues (internet connection down etc.)[/color]

Will see what I can do. Some general status information (starting/stopping/running) might be interesting.

The WHS console already provides this information under the "Network Health" notifications.

Wallman
2009-02-10, 13:45
>

On new installations the add-in will install SC to run as a service.
--
Michael

I tried a new installation (uninstalled the previous version of SqueezeCenter) and it set it up as a service, but it didn't start the sevice. My player was "blue." As I mentioned, I had to go to Services and click start as well as change the start-up aspects mentioned above. Not a huge hassle, but it does require remotely going to the server.

mherger
2009-02-11, 02:54
> After installing (both from the .exe and the new .msi) Squeezecenter
> loads onto my server, but doesn't seem to start. If I go into service
> I can start it up. Any ideas if I'm missing a step?

No, you don't. I did. The installer needs to tell the service to automatically start when the system is booted. It was set to only start manually. This should be fixed in today's nightly build.

--

Michael

Wallman
2009-02-11, 04:25
> After installing (both from the .exe and the new .msi) Squeezecenter
> loads onto my server, but doesn't seem to start. If I go into service
> I can start it up. Any ideas if I'm missing a step?

No, you don't. I did. The installer needs to tell the service to automatically start when the system is booted. It was set to only start manually. This should be fixed in today's nightly build.

--

Michael

great. thanks for the update and for a fine product!

N00dles
2009-02-11, 14:20
I got in with WHS on the ground floor as part of the beta. "Discovered" the SqueezeBox Duet last year and revolutionised my music listening using the WHS (my review on We Got Served here: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/04...squeezeserver/) Have installed the SC WHS Add-in which appears to work well.

from the point of view of managing SC from within the WHS Console if you take the view that it is the WHS administrator that will be the only one accessing the Console then a tab showing that Sc is installed and running would be helpful as well as the ability to restart SC from within the Console. As has been already pointed out most other functions are accessible via the SC browser interface.

From what I have read so far starting SC automatically on a WHS restart has been addressed.

Having an option to automatically install or at least be told about a newer version of SC would also be handy.

I don't know if it is within the remit of SC or possibly as a plug-in that would rip CD's onto the WHS integrated into SC OK so there is RipNAS and others that would do this but there would appear to be some merit in integrating into SC?

Anyway keep up the great work, I certainly encourage anyone who cares to listen to download SC and use SoftSqueeze to experience what a great bit of hardware\software SqueezeBox are and SqueezeCenter are.

Andrew (We Got Served Contributor)

www.wegotserved.com

steveh
2009-02-12, 00:56
Having updated to my second version (24962)of the WHS SC nightly, the previous version was still listed as an intalled addin together with the current version. I clicked uninstall on the previous version which removed SC.I then removed the listing for the current version by clicking uninstall. Reinstall of the 24962 version was then performed.

Is it possible for an update of SC for WHS to remove details of a previous installation from the installed addins tab please? Or is it intended that I uninstall via the console tab prior to updating?

mariowing
2009-02-12, 01:43
Anyway keep up the great work, I certainly encourage anyone who cares to listen to download SC and use SoftSqueeze to experience what a great bit of hardware\software SqueezeBox are and SqueezeCenter are.

Or better yet, ditch the inferior SoftSqueeze and use SqueezePlay which is a native (compiled for Windows or Mac) player with the same gui as the Controller (the Duet-remote). The latest betas for SqueezePlay works very well and are stable. SqueezePlay is downloadable from "nighties", the same place you find the WHS AddIn.

A quick tip also; if you use iTunes on another PC and are running Squeezecenter on WHS I recommend Erlands plugin Custom Scan which can export/import to/from iTunes/Squeezecenter when they are located on two different machines.

mariowing
2009-02-12, 02:58
I discovered today that if you had previously installed the "normal" squeezeserver to a none-default location (in my case e:\squeezecenter) the addin install fails because it can't start the service. Uninstalling squeezecenter through add/remove programs didn't help until I answered yes to the question "remove all settings and logs". If I answered no to that question and tried running the addin-installer it just reinstalled in the e:\squeezecenter directory.

So now I am back to a clean install. I did take a backup of the settings-folder so hopefully I can paste it back in. If not I have to reconfigure the hole system :-(

Normally this would not be a problem I guess, since most people that uses the WHS AddIn is new Squeeze-users. But for upgrading/changing from the normal squeezecenter to the whs addin like I did this became a problem. Just thought you should know :-)

mherger
2009-02-12, 03:02
> I discovered today that if you had previously installed the "normal"
> squeezeserver to a none-default location (in my case e:\squeezecenter)
> the addin install fails because it can't start the service.

Oops... thanks for the heads up. Would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com?

--

Michael

mherger
2009-02-12, 03:07
> Having updated to my second version (24962)of the WHS SC nightly, the
> previous version was still listed as an intalled addin together with
> the current version.

You're right... That's a bit odd, as it will still be in there, even when the regular "Add/Remove Programs" panel doesn't show them any more.

Would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com?

--

Michael

steveh
2009-02-12, 04:49
> Having updated to my second version (24962)of the WHS SC nightly, the
> previous version was still listed as an intalled addin together with
> the current version.

You're right... That's a bit odd, as it will still be in there, even when the regular "Add/Remove Programs" panel doesn't show them any more.

Would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com?

--

Michael

Submitted ID 11055

mherger
2009-02-12, 09:35
I checked in a settings tab for the WHS Console to the 7.4 branch. Please give it a try.

Please note: due to un update issue you can end up with several SqueezeCenter entries in the add-ins management. As long as I haven't found a solution for this I recommend uninstalling SC before updating. Or you'll have to clean the mess in the registry manually. (see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11055).

Michael

bonze
2009-02-12, 10:01
The wiki over @ wegotserved has details on how to edit the registry if anyone needs it.

This has helped me a couple of times in the past......

mherger
2009-02-12, 10:14
> This has helped me a couple of times in the past......

Is this a known issue?

--

Michael

gbruzzo
2009-02-12, 15:08
Michael,

I have just installed branch 7.4 (24971) to test the new tab, after uninstalling and reinstalling from 7.3.3, but no tab has appeared under settings in the console, as suggested by your .jpg - am I downloading the correct one?

Regards,

Giacomo

bonze
2009-02-12, 16:07
> This has helped me a couple of times in the past......

Is this a known issue?

I've had a couple of occasions where the normal Add-in uninstall via Settings > Add-ins has not worked correctly.
I've used the Control Panel to remove the program, then tidied up the registry by hand.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the SC installer (could be the file name??)
Personally I've always uninstalled first, before installing a new version of an Add-in - but that's painful when beta testing.

mherger
2009-02-13, 00:19
> I have just installed branch 7.4 (24971) to test the new tab, after
> uninstalling and reinstalling from 7.3.3, but no tab has appeared under
> settings in the console, as suggested by your .jpg - am I downloading
> the correct one?

I'm sorry, should have mentioned it's in 24982 and later only. Please wait
for today's builds.

Michael

gbruzzo
2009-02-13, 05:10
Michael,

I have just installed branch 7.4 (24971) to test the new tab, after uninstalling and reinstalling from 7.3.3, but no tab has appeared under settings in the console, as suggested by your .jpg - am I downloading the correct one?

Regards,

Giacomo

I have now installed 7.4 (24985) - the squeezecenter tab appeared in settings.
Rescanning library now. Will try functions out in a short while.

Only one comment so far: the icon used for the squeezecenter tab is too low res.

G

bonze
2009-02-13, 05:17
I uninstalled the previous Add-in and I've tried installing the latest 7.4.24985 a couple of times.

But get:
Service 'squeezesvc' failed to start.
Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Any ideas??

mherger
2009-02-13, 05:46
Anything in Windows eventlog? Did you previously configure SC to be run as some particular user?

gbruzzo
2009-02-13, 06:00
I uninstalled the previous Add-in and I've tried installing the latest 7.4.24985 a couple of times.

But get:

Any ideas??

Abort installation procedure and reboot WHS. this happened to me when I went through the following sequence of unistall/reinstall:

1)uninstall 7.33
2)install 7.4 (24971) --> Dear Me, no Tab has appeared, must try reinstalling...
3)uninstall 7.4 (24971)
4)reinstall 7.4 (24971) --> "Service 'squeezesvc failed to start .....'
hence
5) Abort installation
6) Reboot WHS
7) reinstall 7.4 (24971) - Everything ok now, but still no tab.

No problems when installing 7.4 (24985), but in this case I only went through
1) uninstall 7.4 (24971)
2) install 7.4 (24985) --> tab has appeared.

G

bonze
2009-02-13, 06:33
Rebooted and gave it another try.
This time it completed and seems to be running OK and the tab is there.

There was nothing else that I could see in the eventlog, other than the original message.

See what happens tomorrow.

gbruzzo
2009-02-13, 06:45
Rebooted and gave it another try.
This time it completed and seems to be running OK and the tab is there.

There was nothing else that I could see in the eventlog, other than the original message.

See what happens tomorrow.

excellent - tab works fine, start/stop is ok, logs ok, call for opening webpage and settings page are working fine.

G

master_marcel
2009-02-13, 12:00
Michael,

I've tested SC 7.4 (24985). It works fine. I'am very pleased with the Squeezecenter tab. Thanks...

MeSue
2009-02-14, 19:20
Couple suggestions for the SqueezeCenter tab:

I like the cleanup assistant, but maybe the button could have "..." at the end of the text to indicate that a dialog box is coming. I was a little nervous to click on it, wondering if it would just go and do its thing, or prompt with a dialog first.

On my server, it takes some time between the service starting and SC actually becoming usable. But when I use the stop and start button in the console, it tells me Squeezecenter is running almost immediately, even though SC does not respond for another minute or two. If it's possible, it would be nice if the message didn't appear until SC was running and fully accessible.

mariowing
2009-02-15, 03:25

Any ideas??

Yes, same thing here. I've already posted about it in this thread and also made a bugreport. It is because (or at least that was the case for me) you have previously installed SC in a none-default location.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11085

mariowing
2009-02-15, 03:27
> I discovered today that if you had previously installed the "normal"
> squeezeserver to a none-default location (in my case e:\squeezecenter)
> the addin install fails because it can't start the service.

Oops... thanks for the heads up. Would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com?

--

Michael

It's here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11085

mherger
2009-02-16, 00:54
> I like the cleanup assistant, but maybe the button could have "..." at

That should be a simple thing to change. Thanks!

> On my server, it takes some time between the service starting and SC
> actually becoming usable. But when I use the stop and start button in
> the console, it tells me Squeezecenter is running almost immediately,
> even though SC does not respond for another minute or two. If it's
> possible, it would be nice if the message didn't appear until SC was
> running and fully accessible.

Correct, will have to fix this. The button should be greyed out or something while it's not up.

--

Michael

bonze
2009-02-16, 02:51
CI like the cleanup assistant, but maybe the button could have "..." at the end of the text to indicate that a dialog box is coming. I was a little nervous to click on it, wondering if it would just go and do its thing, or prompt with a dialog first.Sorry if I'm being dim, but what does the Cleanup Assistant actually do?

mherger
2009-02-16, 06:34
> Sorry if I'm being dim, but what does the Cleanup Assistant actually do?

You can use it to wipe logs, temporary files, prefs etc. up to the "factory reset", where everything but the installation itself will be wiped.

--

Michael

bonze
2009-02-16, 07:58
> Sorry if I'm being dim, but what does the Cleanup Assistant actually do?

You can use it to wipe logs, temporary files, prefs etc. up to the "factory reset", where everything but the installation itself will be wiped.
Oh! I nearly ran it out of curiosity to find out what it would do.
Good job I asked.....

mherger
2009-02-16, 08:01
> Oh! I nearly ran it out of curiosity to find out what it would do.
> Good job I asked.....

Don't worry, it doesn't touch anything without asking first. There's a simple GUI where you can select what items to delete.

--

Michael

mherger
2009-02-16, 22:47

That should be fine in the next nightly build. Button's greyed out, with a
message telling that the server is starting/stopping.

Michael

gbruzzo
2009-02-17, 03:05

That should be fine in the next nightly build. Button's greyed out, with a
message telling that the server is starting/stopping.

Michael

Dear Michael, are the changes you are bringing to branch 7.4 going to appear in 7.3.3?

regards,

Giacomo

mherger
2009-02-17, 03:13
> Dear Michael, are the changes you are bringing to branch 7.4 going to
> appear in 7.3.3?

The panel is a 7.4 only feature. As 7.3.x is the stable branch, we try not to add new features.

--

Michael

gbruzzo
2009-02-17, 03:52
> Dear Michael, are the changes you are bringing to branch 7.4 going to
> appear in 7.3.3?

The panel is a 7.4 only feature. As 7.3.x is the stable branch, we try not to add new features.

--

Michael

Understood. I must say, 7.4 has been pretty stable since I installed it.
Will keep it for the time being.

Thank you Michael.

Giacomo

MeSue
2009-02-17, 15:06
Anyone have an issue installing SqueezeCenter-7.4-25035 for WHS?

I download to the add-ins folder, my tray icon turns yellow and I get the message that a new add-in is ready to be installed, but when I go to the available add-ins in the console, it is empty.

mherger
2009-02-17, 15:26
> Anyone have an issue installing SqueezeCenter-7.4-25035 for WHS?

I'm still struggling with the updater. I've added some changes to prevent
duplicate entries in the installed list - leading to updates not being
installable :-(. Only way to install it is uninstalling the old version
first. I'm working on it...

Turns out I spend more time on the installer than on the add-on itself :-(.

Michael

MeSue
2009-02-17, 16:05
I'm still struggling with the updater.Okay... just making sure it wasn't an issue on my end. My server locked up earlier when I tried to add a new hard drive, so I thought it might of screwed something up. Good luck!

bonze
2009-02-18, 03:16
Are you sure it is possible/advisable to install an Add-in without uninstalling the previous version?

I'd also noticed that the new version won't be available until the previous version is uninstalled, but I thought it may be just the Add-in tab being 'flaky'.

mherger
2009-02-18, 03:33
> Are you sure it is possible/advisable to install an Add-in without
> uninstalling the previous version?

The more time I spend on this, the less optimistic I am. In fact, a msi file requires you to uninstall any previous version if the _filename_ changes. I'm sure there's a reason for this, but it's stupid. If we want to have the build number in the filename, we'll have to do the full uninstall/re-install cycle. Except for the time spent for the uninstall this would be acceptable.

But WHS is even more stupid: it doesn't keep track of its registry key responsible for the add-in list. Ok, I can teach the installer to do this job for the WHS Console. But worst of all: you can't uninstall and replace a dll which is being used. Thus you can't run an update of a WHS add-in from the WHS Console, as while you're running the installer, that very WHS Console is still using the old add-in version...

I still have to figure out what magic WHS developers are expected to apply to make this user friendly.

--

Michael

bonze
2009-02-18, 04:02
I'd recommend a visit to the wegotserved.co.uk forums for advice. :)

For most people it will be an install for an upgarde of SC7, so uninstall and reinstall won't be too much bother.
It only becomes painful for the nightlies, but that adds to the beta testing 'experience'.....

WGS
2009-02-19, 01:42
Hi Michael

I own We Got Served, which is a Windows Home Server website. WIth regard to your challenges with the WHS add-in, quite a few WHS add-in developers hang out on our forums and it may be useful to get in touch with them if you have any specific queries on the Windows Home Server SDK? They're a very friendly bucnh!

Sam Wood - http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showuser=328
Martin Rothschink - http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showuser=678
Brent Friedman - http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?showuser=2042

That's not to say you can't figure this stuff out yourself, of course - but it may be more convenient, that's all.

Best wishes

Terry Walsh
Editor - We Got Served

mherger
2009-02-19, 02:04
Hi Terry,

thanks for your feedback.

> I own We Got Served, which is a Windows Home Server website. WIth

Oh, I know that site by now :-). Can't miss it when working with WHS, can
you?

> regard to your challenges with the WHS add-in, quite a few WHS add-in
> developers hang out on our forums and it may be useful to get in touch
> with them if you have any specific queries on the Windows Home Server
> SDK? They're a very friendly bucnh!
[..]
> That's not to say you can't figure this stuff out yourself, of course -
> but it may be more convenient, that's all.

Don't worry, I'm not after fame :-). I've been asking around quite a bit
(WiX mailing list, WHS forums over at MS.com, personal contacts). The
conclusion I've refered to come (among others) from a HP MediaSmart
developer:

"we do have to close the admin console to upgrade the dlls that are used
by the admin console" - no way to run the update the add-in from within
the Console

....and the forums over at Microsoft's site (http://tinyurl.com/alpgfl). To
the question "How to update an add-in?" I got a simple answer: "You
uninstall the old version, then install the new version.".

Do the guys you mention know about ways around this limitation? I'm only
hesitant subscribing to too many forums, as I never remember my
passwords...

Michael

steveh
2009-02-20, 09:33
I know nothing about programming so I apologise if my comments are misguided.

Perhaps another way to address updates is to use a similar method to how perfectdisk 10 is installed and updates itself on a WHS. The initial installation is performed via RDC and a Perfectdisk tab is made available on the WHS Console. Opening this tab makes the Perfectdisk 10 GUI appear within the console and one of the options is to update the product (if any are available).At no time does it appear under the settings>addins list as an addin installed or available

bonze
2009-02-24, 10:32
Is removing the add-in supposed to also remove the Cache?
I'm never sure if it should - but the last two nightlies have.

mherger
2009-02-24, 13:58
> Is removing the add-in supposed to also remove the Cache?
> I'm never sure if it should - but the last two nightlies have.

It's a good question: I don't want to remove it unless you have the choice
to do so. As we have to run a silent uninstall in WHS, I'd prefer not to
remove it. If it still does, then I'll have to see what's wrong with this.

Is it cache only or prefs too?

Michael

bonze
2009-02-24, 15:49
> Is removing the add-in supposed to also remove the Cache?
> I'm never sure if it should - but the last two nightlies have.

It's a good question: I don't want to remove it unless you have the choice
to do so. As we have to run a silent uninstall in WHS, I'd prefer not to
remove it. If it still does, then I'll have to see what's wrong with this.

Is it cache only or prefs too?

Michaelcache only - thankfully the prefs are still there (although I think I may back them up, just in case ;)

I've only noticed it with 25127 & 25140 so far.

mherger
2009-02-24, 21:30
> cache only - thankfully the prefs are still there (although I think I
> may back them up, just in case ;)
>
> I've only noticed it with 25127 & 25140 so far.

I've applied a change (rev. 25160) which whould not remove the cache
folder any more when run form the WHS' .msi build. Please give it a try
(build available later today).

Michael

MeSue
2009-02-25, 08:26
I've been away a few days. Do we still need to uninstall before updating through the console?

Is it normal that it takes more than 15 minutes to uninstall?

mherger
2009-02-25, 08:45
> I've been away a few days. Do we still need to uninstall before updating
> through the console?

Yes, and it won't change. It's the way MS wants us to do this.

> Is it normal that it takes more than 15 minutes to uninstall?

No. I've been testing updates right now and it never took more than a minute or so.

--

Michael

MeSue
2009-02-25, 09:25
> Is it normal that it takes more than 15 minutes to uninstall?

No. I've been testing updates right now and it never took more than a minute or so.

It took so long because it was deleting the cache when I uninstalled the last version. Oh well, it was probably about time that got cleaned out anyway... I just upgraded to more RAM so it will will be good to have everything fresh and clean.

Besides reinstalling plugins and rescanning the music, is there anything else I need to re-do after the cache was deleted?

mherger
2009-02-25, 09:36
> Besides reinstalling plugins and rescanning the music, is there
> anything else I need to re-do after the cache was deleted?

No, you should be fine. Please note that as of today's build the Cache shouldn't be cleared any more.

--

Michael

mariowing
2009-03-04, 02:09
I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but my impression was that the latest WHS installers should install a "AddIn-page"? Is this correct?

I am using version 7.3.3 - 25259 and can't find any SC pages...

Regards, Marius

mherger
2009-03-04, 02:15
> I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but my impression was that the
> latest WHS installers should install a "AddIn-page"? Is this correct?
>
> I am using version 7.3.3 - 25259 and can't find any SC pages...

The Add-In page is only available in 7.4.

--

Michael

mariowing
2009-03-04, 04:11
>[/color]
The Add-In page is only available in 7.4.

Sorry, I should have read the thread more thoroughly. Another question; after installing the 7.3.3 - 25259 SC will no longer play my m4a/aac files :-( Thats a big problem for me since I have several thousands of them. Any advice on how to get this capability back??

mherger
2009-03-04, 04:23
> Sorry, I should have read the thread more thoroughly. Another question;
> after installing the 7.3.3 - 25259 SC will no longer play my m4a/aac
> files :-( Thats a big problem for me since I have several thousands of
> them. Any advice on how to get this capability back??

Did you do a full rescan? We added support for sox in 7.3.3, but this requires a rescan of the collection.

--

Michael

mariowing
2009-03-05, 06:14
Yes, I did several rescans due to the fact that the cache got cleared when I uninstalled the previous WHS version (I see from this thread that it has been fixed in recent builds) and had to reinstall all the plugins.

Since having the ability to play aac is far more important to me than having a WHS version I have now uninstalled it and reinstalled 7.3.2 (normal version via Remote Desktop) and aac support is back :-)

I still think that a WHS AddIn is a great idea and I am coming back to try it again when it is more "official".

Marius

Wallman
2009-03-05, 16:57
I'm using Version: 7.4 - 25272 of the WHS version and it plays my mp4 files. Of course, I'd already converted most of them to mp3 or flac before noticing the upgrade!

mherger
2009-03-06, 03:23
> I'm using Version: 7.4 - 25272 of the WHS version and it plays my mp4
> files. Of course, I'd already converted most of them to mp3 or flac
> before noticing the upgrade!

Some of the changes we've implemented in 7.4 still need to be backported to 7.3.3.

--

Michael

eJohn
2009-03-06, 11:28
I'm using Version: 7.4 - 25272 of the WHS version and it plays my mp4 files. Of course, I'd already converted most of them to mp3 or flac before noticing the upgrade!

I have seen many posts, but have not been successful getting .mpa files to play on a Windows server. Can you advise WHAT your SECRET was?

I am using Windows Server 2003 to host SC 7.4. I use iTunes, and everything functions fine, except that unprotected AAC files (mp4) have no sound. I have loaded QuickTime on the server, but that did not good. I have enabled LAME, but that did nothing.

eJohn

steveh
2009-03-07, 07:48
I have seen many posts, but have not been successful getting .mpa files to play on a Windows server. Can you advise WHAT your SECRET was?

I am using Windows Server 2003 to host SC 7.4. I use iTunes, and everything functions fine, except that unprotected AAC files (mp4) have no sound. I have loaded QuickTime on the server, but that did not good. I have enabled LAME, but that did nothing.

eJohn
Have you associated LAME with the correct file types under settings>advanced?

Wallman
2009-03-07, 09:13

I didn't change anything from the defaults. It just seems to work. In my Settings, Advanced, File Types, the "file format-stream format-decoder" settings are:
ACC-FLAC-faad/flac
MP4-FLAC-faad/flac

eJohn
2009-03-07, 12:13
I didn't change anything from the defaults. It just seems to work. In my Settings, Advanced, File Types, the "file format-stream format-decoder" settings are:
ACC-FLAC-faad/flac
MP4-FLAC-faad/flac

I don't even have an MP4 setting. What version of SC are you using?

eJohn

Chinners
2009-03-07, 17:23
I recently upgraded from SC 7.3.2 running on a stand alone PC running XP Pro to a custom built server running WHS with the SC 7.3.3-25114 for WHS add-in. I have a Squeezebox Classic and a Transporter connected. The server was custom built and configured by a friend who is an IT professional, but who is not too familiar with SqueezeCenter. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade to SC 7.4-25381-whs.msi as I am not sure what bugs that might introduce and I have only been running SC from the server for a few days and so far it is working OK. However I do have a few questions that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.
-How do I transfer the "prefs" file from my previous installation of SC on the stand alone PC? I cannot find the directory tree in the WHS system where I would expect I could just copy the prefs file to. I would like to just tranfer all me preferences settings (favourites, display prefs and alarm settings) to the WHS installation if that is possible.
-How do I transfer the plugins folder from my previous installation of SC on the stand alone PC? I had a number of plugins configured on my prior installation that I would like to use such as Alien BBC, IR Blaster iPeng and Super Date Time without having to reinstall/reconfigure. Again I thought I could just copy the folder across, but I cannot see where to paste it to.
-How do I stop and restart SC in WHS without installing 7.4-25381 (which I understand has a button in the WHS console to do this)? I am able to open SC with a browser window, but cannot see where to stop/start SC here.
-Will there be a Wiki page for SC for WHS?

Any help or advice that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the newbie questions!

Wallman
2009-03-07, 18:29
I don't even have an MP4 setting. What version of SC are you using?

eJohn

I'm running version 7.4 - 25272 of Squeezecenter and WHS PP1.

Chinners, I've actually found the WHS .msi version 7.4 to be more stable than 7.3. I'm not running any plugins, so I can't help you on the prefs file. To start and stop SC with 7.3, you'll have to Remote Desktop to your server and stop it from there. In 7.4 you can start/stop the SC service from the WHS console.

mherger
2009-03-07, 22:58
> -How do I transfer the "prefs" file from my previous installation of SC
> on the stand alone PC?

You'd have to open a remote desktop connection to your WHS (not the
control center). Then copy the file to the same place on the new machine
(see Settings/Information for path details).

> -How do I transfer the plugins folder from my previous installation of
> SC on the stand alone PC?

See above. Or use the Extension Downloader to download them through the SC
web UI.

> -How do I stop and restart SC in WHS without installing 7.4-25381

Again, you'd have to open a remote desktop, then use Windows service
manager to restart the squeezesvc service. Or there might be an add-in for
the WHS console to do the same.

> -Will there be a Wiki page for SC for WHS?

What would you want to see there?

--

Michael

what_to_buy
2009-03-22, 21:38
As an owner of the HP MediaSmart WHS, I am very happy to read about these new developments.

I am sorry to interrupt with a basic question.

While I wait for this new exciting version to be stable, I wonder if I should upgrade from 7.2. I do not want to test anything out, but am interested in updating to an improved (but stable) version.

Can someone give me the directions for what to do? When I originally installed I followed these directions: https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/321. To update what steps will I need to add? I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Chewie
2009-03-23, 02:55
As an owner of the HP MediaSmart WHS, I am very happy to read about these new developments.

I am sorry to interrupt with a basic question.

While I wait for this new exciting version to be stable, I wonder if I should upgrade from 7.2. I do not want to test anything out, but am interested in updating to an improved (but stable) version.

Can someone give me the directions for what to do? When I originally installed I followed these directions: https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/321. To update what steps will I need to add? I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Over the weekend Iíve done exactly what youíre contemplating, see my thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=61598

I to was running 7.2 on my MediaSmart server, which I purchased from Ripcaster and as you can see from my thread my transition from 7.2 to 7.4 went without a hitch. I have also installed all my plug-ins Trackstat, Trackstat Playlist, MusicInfoSCR etc and a few new ones without any problems whatsoever, in fact installing plug-ins is a lot easier now.

firedog
2009-05-06, 10:10
Hi-

I'd like a "rescan library" button for SC in the WHS Console.

Thanks

mherger
2009-05-06, 13:23
I'd like a "rescan library" button for SC in the WHS Console.

Like this?

Wallman
2009-05-06, 18:11
That looks great to me!

firedog
2009-05-07, 03:38
Just loaded it. Thanks for all the good work. It will make SC easier to use for all of us with a WHS machine.

Chewie
2009-05-07, 07:38
Iíve been using the 7.4 WHS version on my EX475 for 6-8 weeks now and I must say in that time it has come on in leaps and bounds and now offers everything a typical user could want in a WHS add in.

Initially I was a bit uneasy using the nightly builds having had problems with the old Windows versions of them when I ran them on an XP machine but since the automatic download feature was activated, I have been regularly using the nightly builds on my WHS without any problems whatsoever.

So thank you to all those involved in the WHS version and its continued development, your doing an excellent job.

dvbnick
2009-05-08, 02:31
I'm running SC for WHS on my custom build homeserver now. To save some energy the WHS goes to hibernate after 10 minutes when there's no client connected anymore (using LightsOut-Add-in). While turning on my Boom the WHS wakes up (WOL) as expected. But the connection to SC fails. So I'm logging in via Remote Desktop to check if squeezesvc ist running, which is said under "services". But if I try to stop and start the service this is not possible, it 'hangs'. Only a reboot can bring it back to work. I've tried to uninstall Lightsout, tested both 7.3 and 7.4 SC-WHS-Versions, tried to stop and start squeezesvc on resume (this is an option Lightsout provides), run squeezesvc as administrator, but nothing changed. Everytime my server resumes squeezesvc 'hangs' until a reboot of the server.
Any ideas?
dvbnick

mherger
2009-05-08, 02:41
> nothing changed. Everytime my server resumes squeezesvc 'hangs' until a
> reboot of the server.

What does server.log tell you?

--

Michael

dvbnick
2009-05-08, 15:25
> What does server.log tell you?
Michael

I've attached an extract from the logfile. Does this help? Something with SvrPowerControl???
dvbnick

mherger
2009-05-08, 15:44
> I've attached an extract from the logfile. Does this help? Something
> with SvrPowerControl???

If in doubt: disable _all_ 3rd party plugins, try again. If it's ok,
enable one after another, each time checking behaviour.

Michael

angelppl
2009-05-09, 21:22
I checked in a settings tab for the WHS Console to the 7.4 branch. Please give it a try.

Please note: due to un update issue you can end up with several SqueezeCenter entries in the add-ins management. As long as I haven't found a solution for this I recommend uninstalling SC before updating. Or you'll have to clean the mess in the registry manually.
Michael

Hello:

Where can I download the plugin for WHS?

Thanks!

cavediver
2009-05-10, 08:13
What happened to the nightly build for WHS?

bonze
2009-05-10, 15:04
What happened to the nightly build for WHS?http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63055&page=2

dvbnick
2009-05-14, 05:05
> I've attached an extract from the logfile. Does this help? Something
> with SvrPowerControl???

If in doubt: disable _all_ 3rd party plugins, try again. If it's ok,
enable one after another, each time checking behaviour.

Michael
I've tested it: problem wasn't a plugin, but my impatience. While the server was waking up I've pressed the power button on my Boom several times. Result was that the squeezesvc hangs up. Now I'm waiting with patience and it works...

But now I have another problem: As I mentioned before I want to save power by sending the WHS to Hibernate or Standby while no Windows-clients are connected (using Addin Lightsout). As the Boom and Classic are no Windows-clients the server goes to sleep after some minutes - and music is stopping soon after. Prevent-Standby has no effect. I've tested a script from german WHS-forum that checks IPs via ping, but that ends in the server never going to sleep because the Squeezeboxes always answer the ping.
Is there a way to keep the WHS awake as long as music is played?
dvbnick

LeifPederson
2009-05-30, 11:47
I too want to put in my vote for having the Transporter being able to wake up a sleeping WHS. A few posts in the forum have mentioned the LightsOut plug-in for WHS. It's great, but as mentioned, it doesn't have any support for non-Windows clients. The WHS can wakeup when a monitored client accesses the server. To make this work, there is client software that must be installed on every client that you want to wake up the WHS.

How about putting this same support in the Transporter firmware? I think all it does is send a magic packet or a wakeup packet to the server. Then I think that for those that are running the LightsOut WHS plug-in, we would have what we need to put the server to sleep when it's not being accessed by Transporter.

Sorry if this is a redundant post. I searched briefly and didn't find much on this topic.

Leif

mvordeme
2009-06-01, 07:00
Hi,

having quickly scanned the discussion so far, I have not been able to find any answers to my questions, so here you go. I installed SC 7.3.2 on my Home Server because the download page did not point me at the Home Server version, but I understand that that should not make a big difference.

The first problem I had was with the port. My Home Server was running Twonky, so SqueezeCenter started up on port 9010, but the windows firewall exception for SC was on port 9000, so I had to change that.

As somebody mentioned above, I thought it was a good idea to create a new user to run the SC service under. I gave it access to the music share and everything looked fine. But there appear to be exceptions. My log file is full of entries of the following kind:
[09-06-01 13:38:12.2240] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::PrefSync::_syncD own_error (359) Sync Down failed: Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor, will retry in 578697
[09-06-01 13:59:07.6116] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestMethod (383) request not dispatchable!
[09-06-01 14:03:57.0326] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (146) Unable to get players from SN: Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor, retrying in 300 seconds
[09-06-01 15:08:07.7502] Slim::Utils::MySQLHelper::startServer (282) Warning: Couldn't install MySQL as a service! Will run as a process!
Sometimes, the extension downloader complains about bad file descriptors, too.

The worst problem is that the user apparently has no permission to hibernate the server. I have installed ServerPowerControl and from the log entries, it appears to be working fine. Only the server does not hibernate when it is told to. I can make it hibernate by configuring a timeout in the energy control options, but the effects are hard to predict. Sometimes, it seems to obey the SPC commands while at other times, it looks as if the server waits for the configured timeout after it has received the hibernate command from SPC. Yesterday, I switched the daily library rescan on. After that, the server could no longer be hibernated at all. Even if I pushed the hibernate button, it would only hibernate for a few seconds and then come back up again. It is quite a nightmare because it is difficult to tell what is happening for which reason.

Regarding Lights Out: ServerPowerControl lets you define commands that are issued on startup, when all players have been idle for a specific period of time or when hibernation is requested from the SqueezeboxController. It would be easy to configure commands which register and de-register a client with Lights Out if there was a command line interface. I think this is the way to go forward.

mvordeme
2009-06-16, 04:48
Why is the Windows Home Server Installer no longer available for 7.3.3?

mherger
2009-06-16, 06:04
> Why is the Windows Home Server Installer no longer available for 7.3?

It didn't add any other benefit than the simplified installation, at the
cost for QA to test one more release. We're concentrating on 7.4 now,
where you'll find an add-in for the WHS-console.

--

Michael

psixilambda
2009-06-16, 12:05
Then I think that for those that are running the LightsOut WHS plug-in, we would have what we need to put the server to sleep when it's not being accessed by Transporter.
Leif

I've written a little Plugin which keeps the Server running if Squeezebox Server is playing. Its based on the Prevent Standby Plugin.

You can find it here: Announce: LightsOut 0.1 - a Plugin for Squeezecenter on Windows Home Server

Hope it works for you...

Alex

mherger
2009-06-16, 12:13
> I've written a little Plugin which keeps the Server running if
> Squeezebox Server is playing. Its based on the Prevent Standby Plugin.

Do you know why the latter wasn't working for you?

psixilambda
2009-06-16, 15:40
Because LightsOut Add-In simply shuts down the server if no clients (windows computers with WHS connector installed) are active.

I modified the Prevent Standby plugin to signal LightsOut that somebody is still doing something on the server by disabeling it with a registry key it checks before performing shutdown/standby/hibernate. I even believe the Prevent Standby Plugin is not needed on WHS because it doesn't automatically shut down after two minutes since its based on SBS2003 and not XP.

Alex

mherger
2009-06-17, 00:10
> Because LightsOut Add-In simply shuts down the server if no clients
> (windows computers with WHS connector installed) are active.

Looking at the code your version is interacting with the LightsOut WHS
add-in?

Michael

firedog
2009-06-17, 03:00
Hi-

I installed LightsOut, but it didn't appear to me do be putting my WHS machine into a suspend or hibernate.

When I login remotely to my WHS, I don't see a power option for suspend or hibernate. Does this mean my WHS can't go into suspend or hibernate?

Or does it mean that SC running prevents it from going into a suspend/hibernate?

Thanks

mvordeme
2009-06-17, 04:12
It didn't add any other benefit than the simplified installation, ...Ah, thanks. I thought that this also added some controls to the WHS console.

mvordeme
2009-06-17, 04:24
Looking at the code your version is interacting with the LightsOut WHS add-in?The LightsOut plug-in for SqueezeCenter controls the LightsOut WHS add-in. That is correct. It is only meaningful in connection with a LightsOut installation. The advantage of the solution is, that the server will hibernate if no active WHS clients are detected and none of the connected players are streaming any music.

psixilambda
2009-06-17, 09:15
>
Looking at the code your version is interacting with the LightsOut WHS
add-in?
Michael

Yes it sets the appropriate registry key which is checked by LightsOut Add-In for WHS before an action is performed.

Hi-

I installed LightsOut, but it didn't appear to me do be putting my WHS machine into a suspend or hibernate.

When I login remotely to my WHS, I don't see a power option for suspend or hibernate. Does this mean my WHS can't go into suspend or hibernate?

Or does it mean that SC running prevents it from going into a suspend/hibernate?

Thanks

Without the LightsOut Plugin for Squeezecenter or another modification to the ServerPowerControl Plugin my gharris Squeezebox Server will not prevent LightsOut from shuting down/hibernating/suspending. LightsOut will present you with some options on what to do if no WindowsClients are active. Out of the box it is unaware of any other service running and simply performs its action. The LightsOut Plugin for Squeezebox Server overcomes this by temporarily setting the LightsOut action to "do nothing" while you are listening to music and reverting back to the desired action set in the LightsOut Plugin Settings when no music is being played.

Alex