PDA

View Full Version : nightly 2004-05-04



Michel Fombellida
2004-05-04, 14:02
Hi,

I tried to install the latest nightly (2004-05-04, the .exe file) on Windows XP
Pro and experienced problems:

1) I tried to install it on top of previous version (2004-04-30), the service
did not start properly... it stayed in "starting" mode. A reboot solved this
issue.

2) the squeezebox claimed that a new firmware was available (I am running 22 at
the moment), I pressed and hold the brightness button and the firmware v.23
upgrade started, and froze at about 30%... then the squeezebox said it had lost
connection to the server.

I tried several things but always ended up with the same scenario (upgrade
frozen or lost connectivity to the server). I reverted back to 2004-04-30 and
the system is working fine (still on v.22).

Michel

Michel Fombellida
2004-05-05, 11:23
Hi,

Today I tried 2004-05-05 and I have exactly the same result, the upgrade to
v.23 freeze at about 30% and the squeezebox loose the connection to the
server. I again reverted back to 2004-04-30 and stayed on v22. Am doing
something wrong with the firmware upgrade?

Michel

dean
2004-05-05, 11:40
Hi Michel,

You aren't doing something wrong. It's a bug in the firmware installer
that sean's trying to track down. We've had trouble reproducing it
here, but he's got some good information to work with and a fix should
be available soon.

-dean

On May 5, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I tried 2004-05-05 and I have exactly the same result, the
> upgrade to
> v.23 freeze at about 30% and the squeezebox loose the connection to the
> server. I again reverted back to 2004-04-30 and stayed on v22. Am doing
> something wrong with the firmware upgrade?
>
> Michel
>
>
>
>

Michel Fombellida
2004-05-05, 13:22
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the info. If it is of any help I've got this info posted in another
thread:

Going back to the server, it looks like the server is in kind of half-dead
state. I then restarted the server properly and entered the ip address of the
squeezebox in the server window where it says that the firmware should be
upgraded, I then get the following message:

2004-05-05 20:47:00.7732 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error 2004-05-
05 20:47:00.7785 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error 2004-05-05
20:47:21.8822 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error 2004-05-05
20:47:21.8852 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error 2004-05-05
20:47:21.8861 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error 2004-05-05
20:47:52.0692 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error

Cheers,
Michel

dean
2004-05-05, 21:27
I've just updated the latest nightly build with a fix that should allow
folks who have previously updated to version 20 (or above) of firmware
to update to the latest version, which is 23.

If you had a problem with the firmware update getting stuck, please try
out the latest nightly build:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest

And let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,

-dean

On May 5, 2004, at 11:40 AM, dean blackketter wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> You aren't doing something wrong. It's a bug in the firmware
> installer that sean's trying to track down. We've had trouble
> reproducing it here, but he's got some good information to work with
> and a fix should be available soon.
>
> -dean
>
> On May 5, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I tried 2004-05-05 and I have exactly the same result, the
>> upgrade to
>> v.23 freeze at about 30% and the squeezebox loose the connection to
>> the
>> server. I again reverted back to 2004-04-30 and stayed on v22. Am
>> doing
>> something wrong with the firmware upgrade?
>>
>> Michel
>>
>>
>>
>>

dean
2004-05-05, 21:31
Michel,

Try updating to the latest nightly build:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest

Firmware updates should be much better behaved now. Let us know how it
works out.

Thanks,

dean

On May 5, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Michel Fombellida wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> Thanks for the info. If it is of any help I've got this info posted in
> another
> thread:
>
> Going back to the server, it looks like the server is in kind of
> half-dead
> state. I then restarted the server properly and entered the ip address
> of the
> squeezebox in the server window where it says that the firmware should
> be
> upgraded, I then get the following message:
>
> 2004-05-05 20:47:00.7732 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error
> 2004-05-
> 05 20:47:00.7785 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error
> 2004-05-05
> 20:47:21.8822 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error 2004-05-05
> 20:47:21.8852 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error 2004-05-05
> 20:47:21.8861 error on sending frame 'vfdc': Unknown error 2004-05-05
> 20:47:52.0692 upgrade failed: Connect failed Unknown error
>
> Cheers,
> Michel
>
>
>
>

Lars Kellogg-Stedman
2004-05-06, 05:19
> My recently bought Squeezebox+wifi says it has firmware version 10. I've not
> been able to upgrade it.

Matt,

I was also puzzled by the upgrade procedure at first, but it's actually
fairly simple. Look for the file 'squeezebox.version' in the 'Firmware'
directory of your slimserver directory. It will look something like
this:

[deleted for brevity]
8 10

# version 10 is the same as version 8, except that it has additional
# support to be updated to version 20 and above.

#10 22
20 22
21 22

This instructs slimserver to upgrade a Squeezebox running the firmware
version in the left column to the firmware version in the right column.

If the line for version 10 is commented out, your box with v.10 firmware
isn't going to be upgraded to anything more recent. Just uncomment the
line that reads:

#10 22

You'll need to restart Slimserver, and then hold down the brightness
button on your remote to trigger the upgrade (I think. It's possible
this will happen automatically).

And of course if you're upgrading to something more recent than firmware
22, you'll want to the given line to:

10 23

Or something.

-- Lars

Michel Fombellida
2004-05-06, 10:42
Hi Dean,

Some feedback:

- I tried and I managed to upgrade to v.23, the upgrade went smoothly!

- With this new firmware, I noticed that sometime the first character of the
first line on the squeezebox display disappears.

- It also seems to have some difficulties to find the wireless network: it
usually has to try 2 or 3 times (restart) before finding it.

- Finally the first test I did the channels are still swapped wrt original CD
and I did not find a way to reverse them yet.

Cheers,
Michel

kdf
2004-05-06, 10:48
Quoting Michel Fombellida <mf22433 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:


> - With this new firmware, I noticed that sometime the first character of the
>
> first line on the squeezebox display disappears.
I noticed this as well, but only during a reset (press-and-hold power button),
restart (killing and restarting server), or sometimes when skipping through the
setup on power-up. I've not noticed it during normal operation.

> - It also seems to have some difficulties to find the wireless network: it
> usually has to try 2 or 3 times (restart) before finding it.

I've had this happen several times right after a firmware update at many
versions. It has tended to pass after the first time or two.
>
> - Finally the first test I did the channels are still swapped wrt original CD

My cd's are at the bottom of a large mess in the garage, so I have never
compared them

-kdf

Michel Fombellida
2004-05-06, 11:56
Hi,

> I noticed this as well, but only during a reset (press-and-hold power button),
> restart (killing and restarting server), or sometimes when skipping through
the
> setup on power-up. I've not noticed it during normal operation.

Yes but I think I've briefly seen it once in normal operation... I wouldn't
swear though.

> My cd's are at the bottom of a large mess in the garage, so I have never
> compared them

I have one CD that use for most of my tests (Roger Waters - Amused to death),
at the beginning of the first track the sound should be coming from the right
channel... with previous firmware versions sometimes it was right, sometimes
left (with v.22 pressing pause would swap the channels) with v.23 it is always
on the left channel and I don't seem to be able to swap them. Note that my
comments only apply to digital output and I am using the PCM format (FLAC to
WAV)

One final problem that I have (and I had it with all recent firmware including
8, 10, 22, 23): in some conditions the squeezebox can take a long time (more
then 10 seconds) to get a stable frequency on digital output (44.10khz). After
a reset or when going from MP3 to WAV the frequency always start at 43.95 and
slowly drift to finaly stabilise at 44.10. During this period the external DAC
may have problems to lock on the signal. Once it is stable is remains there.
Switching from a Wav file to MP3 would not change the frequency, but going back
from MP3 to WAV would again cause the frequency to jump to 43.95 and then drift
back to 44.10. I can dectect this behaviour because I have attached a
reclocking system (apogee Big Ben) at the output of the squeezebox and it shows
me the actual frequency of the signal.

Michel

Mike Reeve
2004-05-06, 17:35
> Quoting Michel Fombellida
>
> I have one CD that use for most of my tests (Roger Waters - Amused to death),
> at the beginning of the first track the sound should be coming from the right
> channel... with previous firmware versions sometimes it was right, sometimes
> left (with v.22 pressing pause would swap the channels) with v.23 it is always
> on the left channel and I don't seem to be able to swap them. Note that my
> comments only apply to digital output and I am using the PCM format (FLAC to
> WAV)

Michel

That's interesting, I had exactly the same problem
when I first upgraded to Version 23.

After Sean told me that it couldn't possibly be so [:-)]
I did a 'hard reset' of my SqueezeBox (by unplugging the power lead).

Since doing that my L & R channels have been the correct way round,
and they seem to stay that way whatever I do!

[I've tried seeing what happens if I re-do the firmware upgrade
over and over again
but each time the left stays on the left and the right on the right.

Although I haven't tried repeated 'hard resets' yet ... :-)

I only used uncompressed PCM (AIFF in my case).

Regards

Mike

Michel Fombellida
2004-05-07, 00:54
Hi Mike,

I tried the hard reset serveral times but the channels are still reversed.

Michel