PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 4 Long Wave (Question for UK members)

Labarum
2009-02-06, 09:30
For this station I have

mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/radio4/radio4lw_nb_e1s1#slim:noscan=1,aid=2

Connecting in the UK I get "Network restriction: not available"

Does anyone have a URL that does work?

vinnielo
2009-02-06, 09:56
Try now from Internet Radio -> More Radio -> RadioFeeds UK & Ireland -> Browse UK Radio Stations -> B -> BBC Radio 4 LW

ian_heys
2009-02-06, 09:59
Hi Labarum

If you want to listen to Radio 4 you can try this URL this is the same as Radio 4 LW except for a couple of instances during the day (Daily Service and Shipping Forecast etc):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/wm_asx/aod/radio4.asx

Or if you want to listen to the cricket you can listen on Radio 5 Live at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/live_sportsextra.asx

In the latter case it's best if you enter the URL in SqueezeCenter rather than SqueezeNetwork as the SqueezeNetwork Server is not in the UK and the BBC Stream may interpret the request as coming from outside the UK and not play if there are rights restrictions.

Also best to set WMA to Native in your file types.

If you really want to listen to Radio 4 LW I can dig out another URL for you?

Vinnielo beat me to it.

Labarum
2009-02-06, 10:39
Try now from Internet Radio -> More Radio -> RadioFeeds UK & Ireland -> Browse UK Radio Stations -> B -> BBC Radio 4 LW

That works. Thanks

When we move to Cyprus in the Autumn I will have to re-tune - hope I can find a stream there.

I am assuming Alien BBC works internationally.

My wife likes here Radio 4, and sometimes R4 LW is requires because the sports fanatics take bot R4 FM/DAB and R5!

bpa
2009-02-06, 11:03
R4LW will work on AlienBBC outside of the UK but some sports coverages are not broadcast as they are UK only.

Labarum
2009-02-06, 11:36
R4LW will work on AlienBBC outside of the UK but some sports coverages are not broadcast as they are UK only.

Thanks. I can edit later. At he moment I have R3 and R4 at higher bitrates that Alien offers, so I will stick with that.

Labarum
2009-02-06, 14:34

R4 LW on Alien BBC gives teh unavailability message too. R 1,2 3, 4FM and 5 work!

Any ideas?

bpa
2009-02-06, 15:22
The message is from the BBC and so it seems on all internet streams for Radio4LW so I guess the BBC are having problems or perhaps it is deliberate if the FM and LW content are identical.

Labarum
2009-02-06, 15:28
The message is from the BBC and so it seems on all internet streams for Radio4LW so I guess the BBC are having problems or perhaps it is deliberate if the FM and LW content are identical.

A few seconds ago I could get R4 LW on

mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4lw_bb_live_eq1_sl1#slim:noscan=1

but not on Alien

LW was broadcasting sport and FM/DAB News.

BPA, are you in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, which I guess would have a UK IP address

bpa
2009-02-06, 15:38
Dublin - Rep of Ireland so I get the R4 with geo ip internet restrictions but can also hear broadcast R4 LW in the car to compare but it's too cold to go out now to check.

Labarum
2009-02-06, 16:01
Dublin - Rep of Ireland so I get the R4 with geo ip internet restrictions but can also hear broadcast R4 LW in the car to compare but it's too cold to go out now to check.

I wouldn't ask you too. I hope Dublin is having better weather than Bristol.

I am half way between Bath and Salisbury, and we have been very lucky here. Did you see TV pictures of the Severn Bridges? Both closed. Sheets of ice 3ft x 6ft falling off the superstructure onto cars.

-6C forecast tonight. Google calc tells me that is 21 F