PDA

View Full Version : Color Blindness - white vs blue led

Gocsick
2009-02-05, 21:49
Does anyone else find it impossible to tell the difference between blue and white on the receiver or controller? I have a fairly severe color vision deficiency, but I usually have a much harder time with printed material and reflective objects.

I have had the duet for about a week and it has worked perfectly except for one day the receiver and controller couldn't connect to squeezenetwork because I screwed with my firewall to remove exceptions for an unrelated product. I was having a hell of a time with trying to figure out what the problem was until my wife walked in and asked what the blue light meant.

Roughly 10% of men of the US have color deficiency (.5% in women)in some way or another, a whole lot of other people could be having the same difficulty.

Before you ask, I have no idea what I am missing. I do not sit at home and mope about how I have to ask someone if my banana is ripe. The green light is always at the bottom. Yes my wife does pick out my clothes but not because I am colorblind. Yes it does annoy me when people ask me what color their shirt is at parties.

Skinny
2009-02-06, 02:28
Does anyone else find it impossible to tell the difference between blue and white on the receiver or controller?

When looking at the status light, I get the feeling that the white light is produced by combining the different coloured LEDs, rather than it being a single white LED (something with the -in this case lower- purity of the white). I don't know if this is the actual case, or whether it is of any relevance to your case. Do you otherwise easily distinguish the light of a blue LED from that of a white one?

badbob
2009-02-06, 04:01
Upgrade your eyes :-)

kdf
2009-02-06, 08:42
Skinny wrote:
> Gocsick;393194 Wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else find it impossible to tell the difference between blue
>> and white on the receiver or controller?
>>
>
> When looking at the status light, I get the feeling that the white
> light is produced by combining the different coloured LEDs,

It is indeed a tri-colour LED. The colours are made from pulse-width
modulation of a red, green and blue LED on the same device. This
creates the seemingly smooth transition from one colour to another as
the status changes on startup.

-kdf

Gocsick
2009-02-06, 10:09
Do you otherwise easily distinguish the light of a blue LED from that of a white one?

It is actually surprising that I have problems with the reciever, usually things like LEDs are pretty easy for me. Although usually I am looking at things in a comparative way.

I have 2 led flashlights and I can easily tell that one is much more blue than the other when looking at them side by side. If you turned them on one at a time and asked me which one was bluer I would probably have a hell of time with it. So maybe it is not so surprising.

I typically have a lot of problems with games and things on displays (at least some developers use symbols or other methods of differentiation components in a game), so I am not surprised that I have problems with the controller.

My original post was more of a curiosity, problems with blue are a lot less common than red/green. Just wanted to see if I was alone in this. Luckily I am not experiencing any problems with my setup, otherwise I think I would go crazy.

snarlydwarf
2009-02-06, 10:47
My original post was more of a curiosity, problems with blue are a lot less common than red/green. Just wanted to see if I was alone in this. Luckily I am not experiencing any problems with my setup, otherwise I think I would go crazy.

I don't think you're entirely alone... most "white" LEDs, as well as tricolors pretending to be white always seem to have a bluish tinge to them. (I don't test as colorblind, though, and my eyesight is good for my age... with decent lighting and wellprinted text, I can read tiny fonts... if the light is dim or the text is printed in a blurry font that 'bled' in the printing process, like labels on food, well, then I can't read them..)

It is odd that blue does that: typical humans are supposed to be more green-sensitive than blue, but LEDs are weird and have a strange color temperature which would probably be why there is a blue tinge.

Kvaks
2009-02-07, 19:03
When looking at the status light, I get the feeling that the white light is produced by combining the different coloured LEDs
Yeah, this is really obvious when I look at my Receiver through the edge of my eye glasses. The red light appear to be a centimetre beside the blue light.