PDA

View Full Version : New Squeezebox Controller r3993 Software Available

MickeyG
2009-02-05, 13:32
A new version of Squeezebox Controller software is being made available for:

All SqueezeCenter 7.3.0, 7.3.1, and 7.3.2 users, and
SqueezeNetwork-only users with software version r3476 on their Controller.

All other Squeezebox Controller users will not see this update.

How Do I Get the Update?

All users matching this criteria will see the Software Update screen upon your next use of the Controller. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the update.

What's In This Version?

This software is being released to address reports by some customers of spontaneous rebooting by their Controller when it was just sitting in the charging cradle (bug 10296).

It may also have fixed the spontaneous reboots seen when you jiggle a Controller which has gone to sleep (bug 10774). If you still see this bug, then please report it on the forums or update this bug.

Please contact support if you experience spontaneous reboots which donít fit either of these descriptions.

Mickey

wilduet
2009-02-06, 11:00

How Do I Get the Update?

All users matching this criteria will see the Software Update screen upon your next use of the Controller. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the update.

What's In This Version?

This software is being released to address reports by some customers of spontaneous rebooting by their Controller when it was just sitting in the charging cradle (bug 10296).

It may also have fixed the spontaneous reboots seen when you jiggle a Controller which has gone to sleep (bug 10774). If you still see this bug, then please report it on the forums or update this bug.

Please contact support if you experience spontaneous reboots which donít fit either of these descriptions.

Mickey

If you can't get your controller trough the update process, caused by an error like "an error occured, this controller could not be updated" then try this:
- change Musicsource to SqueezeNetwork
- update again
Suc6

MickeyG
2009-02-06, 17:40
If you can't get your controller trough the update process, caused by an error like "an error occured, this controller could not be updated" then try this:
- change Musicsource to SqueezeNetwork
- update again
Suc6

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help others.

Could you tell me what your configuration was?

- SqueezeCenter version
- Make/model of computer running SqueezeCenter, including operating system?
- Make and model of wireless router?

Mickey

peterw
2009-02-06, 18:14
How about making this available to 7.4 users?

I'm seeing weird screen-won't-wake-up problems with firmware 7.4r3822 against SqueezeCenter 7.4 trunk revision 24906. If I leave the Controller untouched for a day or so, I can't wake the display up by moving the Controller. It's still on & running -- I can SSH in to the device just fine. And I can use Pause to make my SB3 play the current playlist. If I start the SB3 playing and let the Controller sit until the screensaver timeout, I see its Home screen appear briefly, and then I see Now Playing. If I then touch the Controller, its screen goes dark again immediately. I can only regain normal use of the Controller by turning it off (blindly holding Home/Power for several seconds) and then rebooting it.

Jonnio
2009-02-07, 07:36
Peter, you can still go download the Jive if your using 7.4, just go to the 7.3 download directory and grab it from there.

XanderH
2009-02-07, 10:46
I'm using SqueezeCenter 7.3.1, and my Controller didn't report any updates, after multiple reboots (some of them spontanious ;))!

Changing to Squeezenetwork did the trick...

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will help others.

Could you tell me what your configuration was?

- SqueezeCenter version
- Make/model of computer running SqueezeCenter, including operating system?
- Make and model of wireless router?

Mickey

- SqueezeCenter 7.3.1
- My PC is custom build, it contains an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R motherboard, 2GB's of RAM and some other less interesting components. It runs Windows 2003 SP2 standard server.
- Linksys WAG325N

iPhone
2009-02-07, 11:26
I'm using SqueezeCenter 7.3.1, and my Controller didn't report any updates, after multiple reboots (some of them spontanious ;))!

Changing to Squeezenetwork did the trick...

- SqueezeCenter 7.3.1
- My PC is custom build, it contains an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R motherboard, 2GB's of RAM and some other less interesting components. It runs Windows 2003 SP2 standard server.
- Linksys WAG325N

Could be a few differnt things. But it was most likely that SC hadn't pulled the file down yet. It can take up to 12 hours before the go look is triggered. You can bump it to pull it down by stopping and shutting dowm SC, then restarting SC. It will then do a look and then DL if it sees something new available.

I don't know enough about SC to know if 7.3.1 matters or if it needed to be 7.3.2 or not. I don't think it matters but it could have. When you go to SN, one always gets the latest and greatest as it's not dependent on your PC.

iPhone
2009-02-07, 11:29
How about making this available to 7.4 users?

I'm seeing weird screen-won't-wake-up problems with firmware 7.4r3822 against SqueezeCenter 7.4 trunk revision 24906. If I leave the Controller untouched for a day or so, I can't wake the display up by moving the Controller. It's still on & running -- I can SSH in to the device just fine. And I can use Pause to make my SB3 play the current playlist. If I start the SB3 playing and let the Controller sit until the screensaver timeout, I see its Home screen appear briefly, and then I see Now Playing. If I then touch the Controller, its screen goes dark again immediately. I can only regain normal use of the Controller by turning it off (blindly holding Home/Power for several seconds) and then rebooting it.

I dropped back to SC 7.3.2 and it pulled it down and updated my Jive and Controller. Now back on SC 7.4.24920 and all is well. My Jive was rebooting every 5 minutes and all is working fine now. This is the hardway but if folks don't have an SD card or know how to fool with it, this works.

MaartenW
2009-02-08, 03:01
With the new SW version in several cases a certain song is selected when you open an album instead of "play everything".

Maarten

peterw
2009-02-08, 17:32
When you go to SN, one always gets the latest and greatest as it's not dependent on your PC.

Ah, there we go. Now I have r3993 with SC 7.4.

wagstaff
2009-02-09, 07:32
I installed this firmware update a couple of days ago. My SBC had been working fine with r3476 up until then. After the update, I started randomly losing my connection to my server again, a la BIOD. Also, I'm now seeing the random rebooting problem that this update was supposed to have addressed. I had never had that problem before. I've already tried doing a factory reset in the hope that my preferences had just been corrupted, but I'm still having connection reliability problems and random reboots. Configuration is as follows: hybrid network, SC 7.3.2 r24695, Gentoo, Perl 5.8.8, WRT54GS v1.1 running Tomato 1.22.

wagstaff
2009-02-10, 12:19
Just following up in case anyone else is having trouble with r3993.

After numerous additional iterations and permutations of downgrading via SD, upgrading back to r3993, factory reset, clear SC cache, etc., I was unable to get r3993 to work reliably. I downloaded r3476 and installed via SD card, and the controller is once again usable--no random reboots on wake, no failed wireless connection, etc.

Mnyb
2009-02-11, 10:03
I managed to do the following, just to see what it would do myc SC is latest 7.4 and SBC is 7.3r3993 .

I know that headphone playback on my SBC will not work if i not restarted after server is up.
but for some reason i could still see the "controller" player in "choose player" after the latest upgrade.
(SBC did not react on insertion of headphone ).
So i chooses a tune and tried to start it, then it freezes and showed the logitech logo, rebooting again...

Provided the log fyi.

MitchellHa
2009-02-11, 13:42
I installed SC 7.4 this past weekend and have been experiencing constant reboots of my SB Duo Controller ever since. It installed version 7.4 r3822 on the controller as part of the upgrade. I've been using the Duo for a few months and have not seen this before. Definitely due to the Controller software upgrade.

The Receiver plays, but after a track or two, the Controller reboots while it's just sitting there on the table (not docked). Seems to do this only when idle and screen has gone blank. I can navigate the menus and keep it busy and it never seems to reboot.

Would this latest upgrade to the Controller software fix this?

If so, where can I download it?

Thanks.

Mnyb
2009-02-11, 22:14
I installed SC 7.4 this past weekend and have been experiencing constant reboots of my SB Duo Controller ever since. It installed version 7.4 r3822 on the controller as part of the upgrade. I've been using the Duo for a few months and have not seen this before. Definitely due to the Controller software upgrade.

The Receiver plays, but after a track or two, the Controller reboots while it's just sitting there on the table (not docked). Seems to do this only when idle and screen has gone blank. I can navigate the menus and keep it busy and it never seems to reboot.

Would this latest upgrade to the Controller software fix this?

If so, where can I download it?

Thanks.

Yes it fixes it (almost, I got one reboot since, see last post ).
Downgrade SC to 7.3.3 then you will have 7.3r3993 automatically pushed to your controller.

or go here download it directly http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/
and here http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3.3/

get the jive_7.3_r3993.bin file .

Btw it is wise to keep copies of as many jive sw as possible, when you are testing beta sw.

Update the controller via one method described here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Upgrades

PS I'm using the SD card method it's simple, dont forget to rename the file to jive.bin

twynne
2009-02-14, 08:10
I'm finding with this firmware that the controller quite often quits displaying artwork from internet radio (last.fm) - even when the artwork is confirmed as showing in the web interface. A restart of the controller resolves it.

Anyone else seeing similar? Worth raising a bug??

Briain
2009-02-14, 08:18
Hi

I'm using the current 7.3.2 for ReadyNAS and it was working wonderfully. I haven't used it for a couple of weeks and tried it last night. Jive installed an update for itself and since then, it's been absolutely dreadful.

1. Sluggish
2. Removing an album from the playlist - it removes half the tracks then brings up the NAS reconnection banner.
3. Random losses of connection between Jive and SC (I've checked and the router's on a clear RF channel)
4. Jive can't always reconnect first time.
5. If using the Controller as a receiver, you need a Duet RX switched on or it the controller won't connect to the NAS
6. Controller doesn't work that well as a Rx any more; claims track is playing but no sound and nothing in the playlist.
7. Navigated out of Now Playing and back; playlist full but I cannot delete anything
8. Rebooted Jive controller; home menu has only 'Now Playing' (empty) and 'Settings' (music server not seen)

Tried a different NAS and it took ages to connect. Played and deleted music OK but after rebooting the controller (on it's own), I couldn't reconnect to the NAS. Tried powering up the Duet RX again but it's sitting with a blue light (connection problem). After several minutes it went dim white (so OK) so I rebooted the controller but I still cannot connect to the NAS.

Anyone else having these issues? It's all just happened after the Jive update!

NB I've tried doing a forced Jive update in case it had been corrupted but it's still the same.

I'll try SC7.4 beta and see if that works as the above is hopeless.

Bri

rljeffrey
2009-02-14, 11:49
Brian, sounds pretty similar to my systems problems. I've just had my system set up for SqueezeNetwork, and when I installed the update last night, it lost almost all ability to communicate, and the home menu consisted of Now Playing (empty) and Settings. I went through a couple of factory resets to no avail (I couldn't even get the receiver setup again after the factory reset). Eventually called tech support, worked on it with them awhile and set up the receiver in bridged mode, which still didn't work. Even the SqueezeCenter on my computer can't see the receiver directly plugged into the router.

A higher level tech support person is supposed to call me back Mon. We'll see what that brings and I will post any solution we reach.

Ryan

Briain
2009-02-14, 13:21
Hi Ryan

Yes, the whole thing it's totally unusable at the moment and it sounds very similar to what's happened to mine. I can't believe that an update has left it as unusable as it is; I hope for Logitech's sake that it's something odd which is only happening to a few users.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with things on Monday. Enjoy the rest of the (probably very quiet) weekend :)

Bri

Briain
2009-02-15, 06:17
Hi

This 'looked' like a network related problem so I've done lots of testing. I tried SC7.4 on another NAS and had the same issues trying to connect. It seemed unable to negotiate an address from the DHCP pool and the option to put a fixed didn't work (I got as far as the DNS entry by hitting enter didn't do anything. I used the self assigned option and it worked. That said, the performance was poor, it kept loosing the Duet RX (which was not wireless) and seemed slow when I did occasionally get it to work (not showing most of the art). Switching it off and on again resulted in it being unable to connect requiring a factory reset. I cycled through this process several times but always ended up back with the same problems.

I then pointed it to SC7.3 (official release) on another ReadyNAS and it had the same DHCP message appeared. It did accept a fixed address (as did the RX) and I got it working (quickly showing all the art as it used to do). I tried selecting an album then deleting it from the playlist; it just kept playing (I could pause it and restart it but not remove it).

I rebooted it and again it couldn't connect. I factory reset it and it actually connected DHCP this time. It now couldn't see the NAS as a music source and went through the same problems loosing the Rx again. I factory reset it and went through the setup process again.

Whilst waiting for it to try to connect, I noticed that another two wireless devices (an HP iPaq 214 PDA and a Samsung Q1 web tablet) had lost their connections. I couldn't get either of these back onto the network (the PDA just said 'connection problem, contact your service provider') and I eventually switched off the Jive controller; bingo, they both connected. I switched on and factory reset Jive and then set it up from the start. I got as far as entering the WPA/PSK key and bingo, it chucked all the other wireless devices off the network (and they couldn't be reconnected). As soon as I switched the controller off, everything else could connect again.

FYI It's a well set up network and I've just checked it for wireless capability; all is fine. It has a DHCP pool of 30 available addresses of which there are only 6 in use. I use fixed IP's for my main PC and the two NAS's. It's a Draytek 2820vN (and 16 port Netgear GS116 switch) so no worries about it being cheap junk. I can also see other wireless devices/networks and have tried various free channels. I'll check the 'free' ones tomorrow using a spectrum analyser (in case there's some other source nearby) but since everything else is OK (and remains continuously OK at a good distance from the WAP) I doubt it's to do with interference issues.

Conclusion:

It looks like there is a problem with Jive handling DHCP or wireless access. Even if it can connect it seems to be very buggy, possibly caused by brief dropouts (though it was only few feet from the WAP). It also looks like it is somehow causing all other wireless devices to be kicked off the network which is quite surprising.

The main issue is that it is completely unusable (I’ve spent many hours trying all these options and it just can’t be made to work). It’s also worth noting that it worked fine until it updated Jive to 3993 so it looks a bit suspiciously like that’s the cause (unless it’s just a coincidence and something else is causing it).

Hope that helps.

Bri

Zevs
2009-02-15, 06:40
Hi!

I have 7.3.2 installed of SC and got the prompt to upgrade my controller to 7.3.r3993 and since then had a lot of strange problems. The most worry some being that it seems that the controller runs out of battery really fast. Some times it can go from seeming full to empty in an 1-2 hour of just laying on a table. Another thing that have happened sometime in the night is that there is no longer any light on the keys, the display worked OK but I couldn't see the light on the keys. Restart fixed that, but it has happened at least once more.

Zevs

garym999
2009-02-15, 08:03
Conclusion:

It looks like there is a problem with Jive handling DHCP or wireless access. Even if it can connect it seems to be very buggy, possibly caused by brief dropouts (though it was only few feet from the WAP). It also looks like it is somehow causing all other wireless devices to be kicked off the network which is quite surprising.

Bri

Brian, This is intresting as I also have a Draytek 2820. I am also in the process of a couple of commercial installs also with Draytek's. I have found setting up the controller the most problematic part, very inconsistant results. Not connecting, Connecting, not getting ip addresses, getting them, not getting past setup screens always looking for receivers, etc. etc. I cannot make any sense of it.

As you say the controller does not seem to handle wireless networking at all well. In an attempt to make things more stable for the controller (all other wireless kit is OK including SBR's SB3, Boom etc.) I have reverted to 3.2.1FW on the router which I read was more stable in regard to wireless over at the Draytek forums.

I set the recivers up by hand using Robin Lowes UDAP :) because I need to control IP addressing and wired connection and this works fine. But of course this throws the controller cos it seems to look for a receiver most of the time during setup.

Not getting an IP address seems common but hard coding one over comes that.

My personal installation is suffering loads of random reboots and lockups.

There seems to be lots of discussion from users but not much comming out of logitech. I'm sure they are working hard but it would be good to know how we could help.

It would be good if SC listed the controller details and allowed config. Think this is being worked in 7.4 but supprised that it wasn't there at the onset.

Briain
2009-02-15, 08:57
Hi Gary

Thanks for the heads up on what you've been experiencing. That's really interesting and similarly baffling about there perhaps being a link to the Draytek. I'll dig out another router and see if I can get it to talk to that. If I can, that'll be even more puzzling as I've found the Draytek to have exemplary wireless performance with PDA and PC connections. In fact, I opted for the Draytek after talking to colleagues who install them in more technically demanding environments than mine; all comments were extremely posative.

I'll go dig out another wireless router, set up a testbed and see if the fault moves; I'll be back in an hour or so with an update.

Briain

NB It would be better if Jive were changed to give the option to use a fixed IP as opposed to offering it only when there is a problem. I've not seen Robin Lowes UDAP but will go check that out later; thanks for the heads up on that too! :)

garym999
2009-02-15, 09:23
Commercial IT installs, office to office VPNs etc. are all reasons we specify Draytek's. Have been for years and been very happy.

I don't think there is a link to Draytek, irrespective of the WLAN device the Controller needs to cope. I could accept the odd issue here and there but it seems to rife and independent of kit used.

http://robinbowes.com/projects/Net-UDAP is the link for the software to manually configure the receivers. Has nothing to do with the controller but begining to think a utility to manage that might also be handy.

I have just upgraded SC to the latest nightly 7.3.3 - 25010 and see how we go with that.

Briain
2009-02-15, 10:06
Hi Gary

Yes, the Draytek is a fantastic bit of kit and I can't see it being in any way non-compliant. What concerns me here is that Jive is knocking other things off the network; that seems a bit odd and indicative of something pretty drastic happening (but I can't think how it's doing it; I'll have a think later when I've more time).

I've just tried it on a Segam wireless router and it's still having big problems but there is a difference. I did manage to get it to connect and find the NAS first time. I also managed to start an album, but it only played for a few seconds then stopped again. I tried emptying the playlist and it didn't clear, but as with the Draytek, it lost the connection at exactly that point (indicating a Jive problem).

It's connecting and dropping out all the time, and when reconnecting, it doesn't always connect first time (though it never reconnected with the Draytek). I tried streaming to the Jive controller and it's much the same; it sometimes claims to be playing but isn't (no sound nor NAS activity) and after a few seconds, I get a 'connection reset' popup. It does eventually start playing, but it seems to then drop out after a wee while; I then get the buffer filling popup and it starts again.

Essentially, it's almost as bad on the Segam as it is on the Draytek, but I had it playing all day through the Segam (about a month ago) so something's definitely changed for the worst. It’s a lot happier with, and faster to connect to the Segam than it is to the Draytek, and with the Segam, it also reconnects sucessfully after being rebooted.

It looks like Jive is the smoking gun regarding the network dropouts but there’s definitely also an issue with the Draytek. I’ll try downloading the earlier firmware.

Bri

NB I tried 7.4 on my other NAS and it was just as bad; I guess the three latest versions of Jive have the same bug (assuming that's what's wrong). I'll be interested to see how you get on and I'll maybe try the older Draytek firmware (though everything else works very well with the new firmware, so I'm not so keen to change that at the moment).

garym999
2009-02-15, 10:18
Given the fact that this is the only way this thing can connect I have no doubt it is wireless related and that you see different issues with different WAPs.

My issue is that we all seem to be trying hard to fix our networks when in fact they are fine & we need to concentrate on the Controller and its diagnosis.

However give the Draytek firmware a go...
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.2.1/

3.3.0 is the offical release with 3.3.2 in Beta. The forums indicate that 3.2.1 is the most stable but it has not been released in the UK as far as I can see. http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/

Briain
2009-02-15, 11:09
Hi

Thanks Gary, I'll have a good read of the Draytek forum. You have a very good point and I think the sensible answer is to park the Duet for a week and see if Logitech address this; it looks like the dropouts will impact on many users and thus hopefully be sorted pretty swiftly. Whether that will help us or not remains to be seen though.

I got one of the first Duet's in the UK and the earlier ones were a real pig to set up. It was my second least favourite network product with the least being the original BT Homehub. I couldn't believe my eyes when a friend asked me to help get his Duet going and when I arrived, seeing that he had a BT Hometub! :)

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend!

Bri

Mnyb
2009-02-15, 11:15
Given the fact that this is the only way this thing can connect I have no doubt it is wireless related and that you see different issues with different WAPs.

My issue is that we all seem to be trying hard to fix our networks when in fact they are fine & we need to concentrate on the Controller and its diagnosis.

However give the Draytek firmware a go...
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.2.1/

3.3.0 is the offical release with 3.3.2 in Beta. The forums indicate that 3.2.1 is the most stable but it has not been released in the UK as far as I can see. http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/

If you are a professional installer maybe this will help

You now that you can SSH into the controller (it's a linux computer)
enable remote login somewhere in controllers menu password is always 1234 .

there is a file under /etc/network named "interfaces" that one can edit and certainly more if knows what to do.

Mine looks like this:
"
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

mapping eth0
script /etc/network/if_mapping
iface Liogor inet static
address 192.168.1.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
up echo 'nameserver 192.168.1.1' > /etc/resolv.conf

"

As you can see i have static ip's but I think i have to do something about the row starting with script... that one should probably be last if you have an active DCHP server, but still wants to have your static ip, so was it said in another tread on this forum, I actually don't know I have to try when I feel brave.

There is other editable files in the controller regarding it's setup if you are a network pro you can probably figure out a lot more than me.

Of course you have to use the horrible vi editor ;-)

another interesting file is under /etc it is named wpa_supplicant.conf

looking like this, I obfuscated my personal info here for obvius reasons:
"
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

network={
ssid="xxxxxx"
psk="xxxxxxxxxxx"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

"

contains your passkey and ssid in human readable form.

Hopefully you have better luck with this product line as a installer.
for some reason it works well with some ap's and routers but not all brand's and models, culprit seems in many cases be bug's in wireless power save in either router or controller, many users can not reconnect without reboot after the controller been in sleep mode.

garym999
2009-02-15, 11:18
I also have had one of the first units and a few for clients since.

This has problem has been going on for weeks/months now I know Logitech are looking at, well they must be given the issues on the forum.

garym999
2009-02-15, 11:25
Thanks for the info Mnyb. Problem is that you need to get it on the network first. Even this can be troublesome. I'd definatly like to see an option in the menus to skip the wizard and perform a manual/Advanced config of the controller settings. Eg many people just want to use the controller for thier other SB devices rather than the Duet combination.

Mnyb
2009-02-15, 11:25
Well thats the purpose behind this fw release they hoped many of the problems were solved and is looking for feedback via this tread.

for technical feedback may i suggest bugzilla.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

You could probably help if you have data from many different setups.
There is a bunch of ongoing bugs .

garym999
2009-02-15, 11:40
I realise that, but there seems little on the forum as what they/we think the issues are?

You are right I guess I need to look at bugzilla. I've used it before and it works well. But I'm looking at more of a summary as to the issue so I cant get my head round it.

Briain
2009-02-15, 11:47
Hi

Yes, thanks very much for the info on the interface file location.

I must admit that based on my experience with 7.3.2, I've finally started telling many people that this is a cool, stable and viable alternative to Sonos, but after what's just happened, I'm not quite so sure. I suppose one could disable the firmware updates on a non-technical customer's installation, but in my view, Logitech probably shouldn't release Jive updates on the officially released builds (as in the 7.3.2 ones downloaded from the links on the Logitech main web page). My Duet worked fine until the automatic Jive update, but is now totally unusable; I wonder how many other installations have been impacted? It doesn't particularly bother me, but if anyone's installing these for domestic customers, they'll not be best pleased if they have to re-visit some of their installations and use an SD card to roll back the firmware!

Let's hope it's not a widespread problem, but even putting the Draytek issue aside for a moment, it's worth reflecting that mine no longer works on its original NAS/network comprising ReadyNAS Duo and Sky (Sagem) router; a combination which I'd expect to be relatively typical.

Bri

Mnyb
2009-02-15, 12:14
Thanks for the info Mnyb. Problem is that you need to get it on the network first. Even this can be troublesome. I'd definatly like to see an option in the menus to skip the wizard and perform a manual/Advanced config of the controller settings. Eg many people just want to use the controller for thier other SB devices rather than the Duet combination.

Ok i get that, one thing one can do is to load the firmware related to the SqueezeCenter one wants to install BEFORE setup. You can do that with an SD card. If i where an installer i would do that.

I don't know if they manufactured 1 million units at the same time, but they seems to come with old firmware, so you can not enjoy the recent fixes some of them probably helps with a more reliable setup.

Because never firmware is better AND it matches the SqueezeCenter you wants to use, both these things are a factor I think ?

Briain
2009-02-15, 14:50
Hi Gary

I read the Draytek forum posts and opted for the 3.2.1 firmware. This enabled the Duet to connect immediately; what a difference!!!!

It's now far better than the Sagem (connects immediately, so that's a really massive step forwards).

Sadly, the Duet is still not functional either using original Sagem router or the 'updated' Draytek; you only get about a minute at most until it drops, reloads the buffer then starts playing again. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll use an SD card to change Jive back to a previous release and check all's well.

Thanks a million for the heads up on the Draytek firmware; that’s a really useful bit of info to know about!

Bri

WhatsNext
2009-02-15, 17:49
Just following up in case anyone else is having trouble with r3993.

After numerous additional iterations and permutations of downgrading via SD, upgrading back to r3993, factory reset, clear SC cache, etc., I was unable to get r3993 to work reliably. I downloaded r3476 and installed via SD card, and the controller is once again usable--no random reboots on wake, no failed wireless connection, etc.

My system was working fine until the latest controller update. I would like to go back to r3476. Could you please explain how to do that? I would greatly appreciate it.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-02-16, 03:58
My system was working fine until the latest controller update. I would like to go back to r3476. Could you please explain how to do that? I would greatly appreciate it.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Duet_Controller_-_Firmware_Update_via_SD_Card

WhatsNext
2009-02-16, 13:51
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Duet_Controller_-_Firmware_Update_via_SD_Card

Thanks, i found the wiki. Unfortunately I can't find the firmware. Does anyone know the name of the file?

OppfinnarJocke
2009-02-17, 00:54
Thanks, i found the wiki. Unfortunately I can't find the firmware. Does anyone know the name of the file?

Gotta be something I'm missing here, but the wiki says
"Go to http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3/ and download the jive_7.3_r3476.bin file."
Is that not what you want to do?

Briain
2009-02-17, 04:43
Hi

They seem to have changed the site and no longer have the nightly build history for SC or Jive (they were all there last time I looked, but unless I'm not using the correct bookmarks, they're not there now) so I'm now starting to get a wee bit irritated with all this. Unless anyone knows where the previous firmware is (or if I'm right, where it has been moved to) then we're all up a famous creek without any form of propulsion.

Actually, I suppose I could try SC 7.2 as that used a differnt Jive but hopefully someone will sort out the previous builds on the site before I have to resort to that. Again, the reason I'm so irritated is that it has been broken by an update I didn't ask for; that the ability to fix it has now been removed is most frustrating.

Bri

WhatsNext
2009-02-17, 12:08
Gotta be something I'm missing here, but the wiki says
"Go to http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3/ and download the jive_7.3_r3476.bin file."
Is that not what you want to do?

It doesn't offer the r3476.bin file as an option. It only shows r3993. Has this option been removed? I also tried to hold down the volume control during reboot, this appears to work at first, but then the controller immediately says that there is an update available and won't let me do aything else. I rebooted again and the controller shows the r3993 version all over again.

Still looking for a way to get rid of this forced firmware upgrade that has basically disabled my controller.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-02-17, 13:52
It doesn't offer the r3476.bin file as an option. It only shows r3993.

Right you are! Strange...

But, we can always trust Ol'Google... Try this http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/?C=S;O=A
Down at the bottom on that page there's this http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/jive_7.3_r3476.bin

Briain
2009-02-18, 02:02
Hi OppfinnarJocke

Well Goggled and thank you, I simply hadn't thought to do that; I'm downloading it now and will stick it on an SD card a bit later.

The new SC directory structure is pretty odd, I've just looked and it seems that only 7.3.0 has a subdirectory containing firmware.

Thanks again.

Bri

sbellon
2009-02-18, 05:07

I'm not sure whether it works or not, but the Wiki page at
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Controller_User_Interface says that you can go back to the last firmware by holding down VOL+ when turning on the Controller.

Greetings,
Stefan

WhatsNext
2009-02-18, 23:01
Right you are! Strange...

But, we can always trust Ol'Google... Try this http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/?C=S;O=A
Down at the bottom on that page there's this http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/jive_7.3_r3476.bin

Thank you. I will download it.

WhatsNext
2009-02-18, 23:07
I'm not sure whether it works or not, but the Wiki page at
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Controller_User_Interface says that you can go back to the last firmware by holding down VOL+ when turning on the Controller.

Greetings,
Stefan

I noticed that in the wiki. I tried it and and the controller would go back one version and immediately go to an update screen. Even if I tried to refuse the update, it happened anyway. i think I need to move back a version of SqueezeCenter in order to use an older version of the firmware on the controller.

Thanks for the info.

Briain
2009-02-19, 05:47
Hi

I've just tried the SD trick and it updates it as expected. When you swithc on, it immediately suggests updating to 3993 but holding the back arrow key for a few seconds gets you out of that menu. When you select the player (only one is now shown, there should be 2 including the controller itself), it immediately takes you to the update option (you get a brief flash of the home menu bot it's only for a fraction of a second).

It looks like it's possible to revert to the older firmware, but not then possible to actually use the controller without updating it to the latest firmware again. I'll wait a week or so to see if another firmware is released and if not, I'll stick it back in it's box and try again in a few months. If anyone has any ideas of how to solve this, I'm all ears and will give anything a try.

Actually, can we hack (SSH) into Jive and disable the 'check for new firmware' line in the code as I've a feeling that could sort things out. I've no idea where it is so rather than spend ages picking through it all, I'll wait in case someone happens to respond with which line to comment out.

Bri

WhatsNext
2009-02-19, 17:27
Hi

I've just tried the SD trick and it updates it as expected. When you swithc on, it immediately suggests updating to 3993 but holding the back arrow key for a few seconds gets you out of that menu. When you select the player (only one is now shown, there should be 2 including the controller itself), it immediately takes you to the update option (you get a brief flash of the home menu bot it's only for a fraction of a second).

It looks like it's possible to revert to the older firmware, but not then possible to actually use the controller without updating it to the latest firmware again. I'll wait a week or so to see if another firmware is released and if not, I'll stick it back in it's box and try again in a few months. If anyone has any ideas of how to solve this, I'm all ears and will give anything a try.

Actually, can we hack (SSH) into Jive and disable the 'check for new firmware' line in the code as I've a feeling that could sort things out. I've no idea where it is so rather than spend ages picking through it all, I'll wait in case someone happens to respond with which line to comment out.

Bri

You should also move back to version 7.2.1 of SqueezeCenter. Download the older version of SC. The older version of the firmware is associated with it. This is what I have been told. I planned to do the same thing, but for some reason my controller hasn't failed in about three days, which is a record since the update. Please let us know if it works.

Briain
2009-02-20, 11:23
Hi

Yes, I'll revert to the previous SC as I know that does work. I'll try it soon and confirm that there are no issues. I'd have done it earlier but I really need to hang on with the hope someone will address this problem.

I'm not bothered about my own system, but I have fitted two identical systems at friends houses (both about an hour's drive away) and would expect them to have the same issue when they try to use them. They're both away on holiday at the moment, so I don't know if they'll break when 3993'd, but I'm expecting the phone calls when they all return and I don't really want to have to drive all that way and install the previous SC on both their systems.

Let's hope a fix is introduced pretty quickly!

Bri

garym999
2009-02-20, 13:36
Various posters have talked about wireless power saving etc. causing issues so I decided to leave a ping running from the server to the controller. Reply times were all over the place. It seems to have locked up less but it still locks up.

Any hints to thoughts and theorys as to what the problem is? Given the amount of threads covering this one way and another there seems very little from logitech themselves. I'm sure it is a priority but the lack of public comm's does not feel good.

Schindler
2009-02-21, 16:57
7.3.r3993 is the worst firmware ever on my duet. I have to reboot it every few minutes, to get it working again. Often it is not possible to select someting specially menu entries. For example if I select "Einstellungen (Settings)" the new screen is empty or it is not possible to move up or down.

I hope a new version is comming soon.
christian

a.wright
2009-02-22, 02:26
Hi,

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I have just returned from holiday and have seen this thread... before turning on my SBC. I have SC Version 7.3.2 and when I bought my Duet in January, the SBC automatically updated itself and has been working flawlessly since that time.

Am I right in assuming that when I turn it on I am going to be forced an update that potentially causes lots of issues meaning I might then have to mess about loading back old firmware to get it working properly again? If so I won't be happy as I bought this device as a retail product and whilst I am happy to mess about with my PC equipment testing various firmware and beta software etc this is not what I expected from a product costing over £200...I don't want to turn the thing on until I know what is likely to happen!

Maybe I have misunderstood but I can imagine the comments I will get from other members of the household who thought the Duet was not necessary to buy in the first place but started to use it alot with the SBC once they saw how easy and useful it was...

simonjedrake
2009-02-22, 11:26
Hi,

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but I have just returned from holiday and have seen this thread... before turning on my SBC. I have SC Version 7.3.2 and when I bought my Duet in January, the SBC automatically updated itself and has been working flawlessly since that time.

Am I right in assuming that when I turn it on I am going to be forced an update that potentially causes lots of issues meaning I might then have to mess about loading back old firmware to get it working properly again? If so I won't be happy as I bought this device as a retail product and whilst I am happy to mess about with my PC equipment testing various firmware and beta software etc this is not what I expected from a product costing over £200...I don't want to turn the thing on until I know what is likely to happen!

Maybe I have misunderstood but I can imagine the comments I will get from other members of the household who thought the Duet was not necessary to buy in the first place but started to use it alot with the SBC once they saw how easy and useful it was...

If you do not want this latest firmware, one route maybe to go into the main SC menu & turn off the "auto update" option - might be an idea to disconnent your router so SC cannot auto update before you turn it off.
Simon

Briain
2009-02-22, 13:16
If you do not want this latest firmware, one route maybe to go into the main SC menu & turn off the "auto update" option - might be an idea to disconnent your router so SC cannot auto update before you turn it off.
Simon

Hi All

I wish; I tried that then loaded up the previous firmware from a SD card but guess what, every time I select the room unit (the Duet RX) it tries to force an update and the only way I can access the menu is to accept the 3993 update. I'm also just of the phone to a friend who's system is broken and I've now a long drive to try installing the previous SC on his NAS; I'm not a happy chap!

I really don't mind these issues with beta releases - that's to be expected and part of the fun for experimenters like myself - but this was a forced update on an official release of a commercial product that people are using in their homes and that is simply not acceptable! Where are the Logitech support/comments/timescales/anything please? People's systems are broken, they want to know what, if anything, is being done about it.

Bri

oreillymj
2009-02-23, 05:09
Reverted to r3476 which is the most stable recent FW for the controller.

Thumbs down on 3993 from me.

Briain
2009-02-23, 05:28
Hi

I'd like to do that but it when I tried, it wouldn't let me do anything without updating to 3993 again. How did you stop the Controller forcing you to perform an update to 3993?

Bri

oreillymj
2009-02-23, 07:09
I have SqueezeCentre Settings->Software Updates->Do not check for software updates enabled.

Look in your application cache directory and delete any jive.bin files that SC has downloaded.

Search for jive*.bin here "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter" and delete it if you find it. You may have to stop SC.

Finally you can add...

127.0.0.1 update.slimdevices.com

...to your etc hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) if you want to make sure SC cannot download jive firmware files, but that may be overkill.

WhatsNext
2009-02-23, 17:02
I have SqueezeCentre Settings->Software Updates->Do not check for software updates enabled.

Look in your application cache directory and delete any jive.bin files that SC has downloaded.

Search for jive*.bin here "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter" and delete it if you find it. You may have to stop SC.

Finally you can add...

...to your etc hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) if you want to make sure SC cannot download jive firmware files, but that may be overkill.

I have looked all over the settings menu for software updates and I can't find it. Can you tell me what heading it is under? I am running 7.3.2. Thank you.

Jim Holtz
2009-02-23, 21:11
I have looked all over the settings menu for software updates and I can't find it. Can you tell me what heading it is under? I am running 7.3.2. Thank you.

Open SqueezeCenter, click on settings. On the settings page select the advanced tab, then click the drop down menu and select software update. You'll have the option to turn it off there.

HTH

Jim

WhatsNext
2009-02-24, 21:38
Open SqueezeCenter, click on settings. On the settings page select the advanced tab, then click the drop down menu and select software update. You'll have the option to turn it off there.

HTH

Jim

Thanks a lot. i missed this menu before. It will come in very handy. Also, I have gotten five solid days out of r3993. It failed today, but a reboot of the receiver got it running again. The problem was a blue light on the receiver. It appears that the new firmware has a diffcult time recovering from any kind of interruption of service.

Briain
2009-02-25, 03:25

Finally you can add...

Hi

I found the ReadyNAS cached Jive in /var/lib/squeezecenter/cache and deleted it. I then 'updated' Jive to the previous version (from the SD card) and it all works fine on a Netgear router and on a Sagem router. It still won't connect to a Draytek wireless router so there's still another issue that needs resolution.

Bri

NB I've raised a bug here (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11193)

Bri

Greg T.
2009-02-26, 00:34
There's a pre-release r4154 version here: http://update.squeezenetwork.com/update/firmware/7.4/

It might work best with one of the SqueezeCenter 7.4 nightly builds: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.4

I haven't given it a shot, but if you're having trouble downgrading from r3993, perhaps it's worth considering?

Briain
2009-02-26, 02:08
There's a pre-release r4154 version here: http://update.squeezenetwork.com/update/firmware/7.4/

It might work best with one of the SqueezeCenter 7.4 nightly builds: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.4

I haven't given it a shot, but if you're having trouble downgrading from r3993, perhaps it's worth considering?

Hi

Thanks for the idea but yes, I tried that a few days back and it had the same problems. I didn't try it on all three types of wireless router and I now also know that Jive 3993 causes so many problems that you have to reboot the Draytek before Jive 3476 can connect to it, so maybe I'm doing 4154 a disservice by saying it didn't work.

At the moment, I've managed to get 7.3.1 and 3476 to work on all three routers. I've removed 7.3.1 and installed 7.3.2 (with updates disabled) and even with 3476, it's suffering from wireless dropouts and extremely poor response, so it looks to be that 7.3.2 and 3993 both have problems.

I don't wish to depart from the current official build and go to 7.4 even if it does work as I'm doing all this to try and sort my friends systems out and don't want to start using betas on them.

Bri

NB The above seems true: 3993 has wireless issues with the controller and 7.3.2 pushes duff firmware into the Duet receiver; I've updated my bug report with the findings.

Ross L
2009-02-26, 17:29
Anyone who has noticed poorer wireless connectivity since upgrading to 3993, please do us a favor and share your specific networking details. Specific router version and firmware, any extra network topology outside of the norm, anything specific that you think may help us track down what is causing the issues since the upgrade would be helpful.

garym999
2009-02-27, 01:02
Case by Case? I think there is a fundamental issue with the implementation of
wireless within Jive. Our setups do play a part by what we have is just not
robust. I was rebuilding 3 laptops over WLAN streaming 100's Mbs of data all of
which did not miss a beat yet the SBC rebooted several times.

I suggest that you do not get to bogged down by issues with router firmware
etc. I too have a Draytek 2820Vn and put Brian on to the most stable FW
version. I'm a reseller for Draytek and know my way around them well. As Brian,
myself and others have indicated all our other WLAN hardware runs fine. In my
case that includes a Boom, SB3, & SBR.

This is my set up:-

- Draytek Vigor 2820Vn running V3.2.1 FW on a poor ADSL connection
- WLAN via Vigor, Hidden SSID, WPA/WPA2
- SC running on PC, XP Pro SP3 fully patched, fixed IP
- SC Version: 7.3.3 - 25114
- SBC on fixed IP
- SB3 in lounge, WLAN @ 73%, rock solid for years!
- SBR in loft for bathroom, WLAN @ 89%, No problems once hard coded with
NetUDAP
- Boom in bedroom, WLAN @ 99%, No wireless issues that I'm aware of.

With SBC FW V7.2 r3191 - Seems to have worked fine for 12 hours now and quite
responsive.

3993 - Works but is subject to lock-ups and multiple reboots wether in use or
not.

V7.4 r4154 - Very unstable, has difficulty connecting to WLAN and problems
listing players. Wirless indicator goes Blue and Red, only ever seen White with
all other FW's

The SBC has a SD card in if you want logs

finnbrodersen
2009-02-27, 02:44
Hi

I have a strange problem with r3993 FW in the SBC.
From time to time the wireless indicator in the buttom
of the display goes (and stays) red.

but the SBC works just fine with this red indicator !

as always the resolution is reboot the SBC

autopilot
2009-02-27, 03:43
Hi

I have a strange problem with r3993 FW in the SBC.
From time to time the wireless indicator in the buttom
of the display goes (and stays) red.

but the SBC works just fine with this red indicator !

as always the resolution is reboot the SBC

I have noticed this a couple of times recently too, with the latest (as i type) FW.

aubuti
2009-02-27, 07:34
I have noticed this a couple of times recently too, with the latest (as i type) FW.
There's an open bug on this now: Bug 11192 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11192)

Ross L
2009-02-27, 13:22
Gary there is no need to for duplicate posts here and in the bug, I'll read them both I promise. :-)

I appreciate your help with this, I'm unable to reproduce this issue with my Draytek router so I'm relying on your help for bug 11193. I will most definitely ask you for a log, but first I need to understand the issue better and perhaps get your help in reproducing it here in the QA lab.

Lets keep the Draytek specific r3993 issues to bug 11193, and continue this thread for any other r3993 issues.

OppfinnarJocke
2009-02-27, 13:26
Anyone who has noticed poorer wireless connectivity since upgrading to 3993, please do us a favor and share your specific networking details. Specific router version and firmware, any extra network topology outside of the norm, anything specific that you think may help us track down what is causing the issues since the upgrade would be helpful.

Well, I don't really know about poorer connectivity, it has never worked 100%, but since 3993 I've been having a special problem, that goes like this, with certain variations (and I only use SN, not SC):
* Pick up SBC, it wakes from showing the analogue clock
* From SBC turn on SBR, LED lights up on SBC
* Try SBC to go to Favorites, rotating arrow... waiting... waiting...
* Interrupt SBC (click Back), Settings > Advanced > Wireless Networks
* SBC finds the network, has its correct (static) IP address
* Back to SBC home screen, click Favorites, rotating arrow, waiting... waiting...
* Boot up laptop, it connects to the wireless network no problem
* Surf (FF) to SN, click my favorite internet channel
* And at that moment! SBC shows "Buffering" and the stream starts.
* The rotating arrow at Favorites still rotates... and still rotates...
* SBR plays the SN stream fine...
* Using SBC I can raise the volume, I can pause, Now Playing shows correct info, but accessing Favorites works not, rotating arrow...

This happens more often than not.

A variant of this (I guess) is that SBC suddenly when coming back from screen save shows blue wireless icon. It sees the wireless network, it has the correct IP address, using my laptop I can access SN adn get the stream going, SBR is connected just fine, SBC is not... Restarting SBC typically fixes the connection.

Router: Netgear WGR614 v9 FW V1.2.2_14.0.13

amatala
2009-03-03, 03:19
Well I did it also ... and now I'm very sorry...

I've upgraded a perfectly working and stable Controller to 3993 and now I have to reboot it several times a day...

Why?

- Controller loses connection with the Squeezecenter very frequently. Wireless signal is fine, network connection is OK, however the server is not accessible... Browsing through the library is a pain and gets extremely slow... Rebooting the Controller solves the problem for about 1 hour...

- Albums are missing from the list... Several artists are "empty" - no albums in their list... After rebooting the albums come back... for a while...

I'm really sorry I did this upgrade... Whoever said 'if it ain't broken don't fix it' was indeed very wise...

cff
2009-03-04, 08:24
Sorry for any repeats of known issues. I tried to search a few times to find any, but wanted to mention some I am having since this update..

- I often cannot get the controller to shut down correctly. If, for example, I am having an issue with it connecting to a stream (generally after a sleep, but not always), and I try to shut it down.. it acts like it is doing so (shows the correct shutdown screen, plays the shutdown sound), but then hangs at that point. I have to pull the battery to get it to reset then.

- The wifi icon is sometimes incorrectly red, although I have a good connection (I see this is noted as a known bug already)

- I sometimes have issues with the controller connecting to itself (I use the controller playback via headphone jack feature every night). When this happens, I can actually connect to the server on my PC or to the Squeezenetwork directly with no problem (indicating that it doesn't look like a network issue), but if I try to switch back to the controller, it cannot connect. A reboot fixes the issue.

All of these issues are new since updating to the 3993 firmware.

amatala
2009-03-07, 05:42
Any idea from where I could get back the 7.3 r3856 version?

That used to work perfectly fine for me... I tried downgrading the Controller, but it upgrades back to r3993 after a reboot...

Damn! I never should have upgraded to this r3993 crap!

Briain
2009-03-07, 07:23
Hi

If you look back a couple of pages, there is a link to 3476 (or just click here to download it) (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/jive_7.3_r3476.bin) from the 7.3.0 link listed here (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/)

Not sure you'll find any other 7.3 Jives; I had a good hunt about and they all seem to have gone.

Bri

amatala
2009-03-07, 12:35
Thanks, I've seen that link, but 3856 worked MUCH better for me than 3476. With 3476 I've had quite a few problems, 3856 only had a few minor quirks... While running 3856 I didn't have to reboot the Controller for more than 1 month! Seems like Science Fiction today...

Briain
2009-03-07, 15:57
Hi

Yes, I too would like the previous firmware. I've no idea what Logitech are playing at but quite a few people I know are commenting on 3993 causing them problems and all the previous (working) versions of Jive seem to have been removed from site. It seems like total madness to me; I just can't think what they're playing at.

My situation is worse than most as the Duet controller is so flaky when used with my Draytek router that the system's totally useless! My friends who use Duets with external D/A's as their main source of music are absolutely fizzing about all this (at least their ones mostly work though; mine mostly doesn't).

I'm fortunate in that I have both Sonos and Twonky/Linn systems which work whenever I actually want to play music. I hate being beaten by technology and an thus determined to get this Duet working, but I'm seriously starting to wonder why I'm bothering.

Bri

jmayzurk
2009-03-14, 22:49
Like many others, 7.3r3993 ruined my controller. I was so frustrated with it that wasn't listening to my Transporter as much as before (it's difficult for me to read the Transporter display from my listening position, so for me, the Duet controller is essential).

I followed the instructions earlier in the thread and rolled back to 7.2 r3191 (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.2.1/) using the SD card method (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Duet_Controller_-_Firmware_Update_via_SD_Card). I am running SC 7.3.2. All is well now and I no longer want to throw my controller out the window.

hnada
2009-03-22, 21:58
I have downgraded to r3476 from 3993 but when it reboots, it stuck on the upgrade screen... it wants me to upgrade 3993... can anyone tell me how to disable automatic upgrading.

sveinan
2009-03-23, 00:01
Havn't been into this forum for a long time. So a little late on this thread. Got Duet controller (v3993) + DrayTek 2800G (firmware 2.8.2) router/wireless. I realise now that it is probably the v3993 upgrade for my Duet controller who has caused my pains lately. I've have the 'red' icon often, reboots, dropped connections, have had to take in/out battery of controller to get it up again also.

Not had any time to problemsolve at all. But I think I've experienced most symptoms described in this thread. And lucky me, it seems my DrayTek router is an especially bad combination. A little sad, considering that it has been rock solid with other wireless equipment i have.

Will follow this thread from now on.

bcg
2009-03-27, 20:02
I too had lots of problems with r3993. It was completely unreliable... and I'm using a Linksys router - I don't think you can blame the router for this sort of reliability problem.

Anyway, I've since upgraded to r4673 and things once again seem to be stable. I'm not sure what changed...

I got r4673 from:

http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3.3/

bcg
2009-03-27, 21:43
Hmmm... my previous message hasn't been approved by the moderators, but...

r4673 isn't foolproof after all. It just refused to come back from a sleep. Holding the power/home button reset it...

hnada
2009-03-28, 08:19
Anyone know how to keep your controller on the previous version of the software, its stuck on the "upgrade to 3993 screen"

Briain
2009-03-30, 03:54
Havn't been into this forum for a long time. So a little late on this thread. Got Duet controller (v3993) + DrayTek 2800G (firmware 2.8.2) router/wireless. I realise now that it is probably the v3993 upgrade for my Duet controller who has caused my pains lately. I've have the 'red' icon often, reboots, dropped connections, have had to take in/out battery of controller to get it up again also.

Not had any time to problemsolve at all. But I think I've experienced most symptoms described in this thread. And lucky me, it seems my DrayTek router is an especially bad combination. A little sad, considering that it has been rock solid with other wireless equipment i have.

Will follow this thread from now on.

Hi

From reading various posts on this forum, it seems to me that there are at least a couple of wireless issues here; establishing wireless connections after Jive is brought out of hibernation and wireless dropouts (and thus also reconnections) when Jive is in active use.

Draytek have released a beta firmware to a few users (and someone has kindly posted a link to it here (http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=55121#55121)) which supposedly improves the routers ability to handle clients which use sleep-mode (to save battery). This firmware is meant to be a lot better at negotiating with them, and this might thus help address the first Jive issue. I’ve just installed it and will let you know (in a day or two) if it makes any difference.

As to the second issue (which is the one I have), I've noticed a really interesting comment (here (http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12226)) relating to IP camera connections which suggests a very plausible sounding possibility: I think the Vigor's WPA code must be drawn up with very tight timing settings as different clients connect sometimes first time, others after several attempts and some not at all.

I wonder if this is the real issue and that whether different versions of Jive have different settings/capabilities in this area. If anyone knows anything about the changes to Jive, and thinks this could have change, please let us know. There might not be an easy fix, but it would be really good to at least know what’s causing the problem.

Bri

bcg
2009-03-31, 00:20
From reading various posts on this forum, it seems to me that there are at least a couple of wireless issues here; establishing wireless connections after Jive is brought out of hibernation and wireless dropouts (and thus also reconnections) when Jive is in active use.

Draytek have released a beta firmware to a few users [...]

I wonder if this is the real issue and that whether different versions of Jive have different settings/capabilities in this area. If anyone knows anything about the changes to Jive, and thinks this could have change, please let us know. There might not be an easy fix, but it would be really good to at least know whatís causing the problem.

I think the Draytek connection is a distraction. I have a Linksys router and r3993 is much less reliable than any previous version.

Why do we think r3993 contains power saving improvements that are causing problems? I'm seeing my battery run down just as quickly as it used to! :-)

The changes that are causing instability should simply be reverted as quickly as possible. r3993 is *not* an improvement on previous versions. It is a mistake. :-(

Sorry, the instability is making me grumpy. As is the current inability to downgrade to a known good version of the firmware and to keep the firmware at that level until I choose to upgrade it.

handyandy
2009-03-31, 14:12

How Do I Get the Update?

What's In This Version?

Mickey

I still have the reported Bugs with the new firmware....
Spontaneous restarts in the craddle or just lying on the table.

I have
-SC7.3.1 on WXP
-Squeezebox Duet

Briain
2009-04-05, 11:16
Hi

I installed the latest Draytek beta firmware (B123108a) and it was still playing up (I had reverted to SC 7.2). I then tried the current release of 7.3.2 but keeping Jive 3191 and firmware 58 and it now seems to all work very well. I've not extensively tested it but it's now showing cover art whilst playing, it's playing whole track (as opposed to 10 seconds then stopping) and I can skip through tracks ect. I can also see the playlist (with covers) and can delete the playlist.

It seems that I have found a combination of things that work, but it'll take more time and testing to assess its robustness; so far though, it's the best it's been for months so it's looking good.

Bri

NB All clients set to use DHCP and MAC~IP bindings (not strict).

RobB
2009-04-07, 02:37
I realise this has been covered but i want to add my voice to the thread and the poor management of the r3993 issue and also add the variety of my router to show the kit doesn't (shouldn't) matter. I operate a hybrid system with homeplugs serving the duet receiver (for internet access) and also a direct gig link to QNAPTS109II. Obviously the controller is wireless. This has worked superbly since working through setup. Although setup had its challenges the reward was more music access of my library and radio in the last 15months than the last 15 years. Streaming napster's back catalogue even has my wife raving about it! A few minor probs - sometimes having to wait for spontaneous updates and the odd dropped receiver link but nothing that a 30s reset didn't solve.
I'm not particularly technically minded PC wise but I did get the setup sorted & may need some help rolling back the software,SD cards etc. What i don't like is the lack of due diligence on logitechs part for an update that hasn't been bench tested. DLink G604T router (steady/reliable still giving fast service to main computers in the house so no problem there), slimserver on QNAP, homeplug. Prevously worked ok, now not working - the change? upgrading to r3993. acceptable? No.

I'm holding off buying another controller & Boombox (£380ish) until this is sorted and a friend to whom I have raved about SB I will tell to hold off for the mo (another £200-£300). Logitech - please give an interim report on the work to correct the problem.

Jim Holtz
2009-04-08, 13:00
FWIW, I installed Squeezecenter 7.4 and upgraded the controller firmware to 5226 and it works great! Sounds great too.

I would suggest that those having seemingly incurable issues with the Duet, take a hard look at their router and get one that has QoS hardware support for streaming data/media. There are many that do but most cost a little extra. They do, however, end your router issues that impact your Duet's ability to stream audio with out re-buffering etc.

HTH

Jim

bcg
2009-04-09, 20:08
I would suggest that those having seemingly incurable issues with the Duet, take a hard look at their router and get one that has QoS hardware support for streaming data/media. There are many that do but most cost a little extra. They do, however, end your router issues that impact your Duet's ability to stream audio with out re-buffering etc.

I'm sorry, but it is tiresome having people blame routers on the current reliability problems. It used to be stable! This is a regression!

If functionality has been added to the Duet controller to take advantage of advanced wifi features then the software should be smart enough not use those features when they're not available or at least provide an option to switch the features off. It worked before and an upgrade should be an improvement. An upgrade should not require other hardware to be replaced. There wasn't a prominent at the top of the release notes saying that existing users might have to upgrade their routers.

For many users, the current firmware is a downgrade.

Jim Holtz
2009-04-10, 07:46
I'm sorry, but it is tiresome having people blame routers on the current reliability problems. It used to be stable! This is a regression!

Hi bcg,

Sorry you feel that way. I'll tell you my story and why I made the comments I did about router issues.

I had problems with drop outs, rebuffering etc. with my Squeezebox2 running 6.x.x versions of the server software. This was with an expensive MIMO Netgear router which worked fine for my PC. So, after troubleshooting it I concluded that the the router wasn't optimized for streaming media. I purchased a ZyXel X-550 with dedicated QoS hardware for streaming media. I also placed the Squeezebox in the DMZ to eliminate router firewall conflicts.

That cured my issues. I now and have had for many months a VOIP phone system and three PC's that are usually in use in addition to my Duet. I've been through dozens of software revisions before installing 7.4. There have been quirks and bugs along the way but nothing that destroyed my ability to use and enjoy the SB2 I had or my Duet. The quirks were minor in comparison to the router.

I've been extremely pleased with all of the hardware and software I've gotten from Slimdevices.

BTW, I'm an IT guy for a living and I'm running a Windows XP SP3 PC as the server that doubles as my everyday home PC. I also "JUST" listen to CD's I've ripped and don't use or care for Internet radio or any of the other numerous features offered by the Duet.

YMMV....

Jim

Ross L
2009-04-10, 12:12
New filesystem overlay, updated busybox, and several DHCP fixes. I agree with Jim Holtz that 7.3.3 nightly is worth a try for anyone experiencing Controller connectivity related issues.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

MikeMcr
2009-04-11, 05:13
New filesystem overlay, updated busybox, and several DHCP fixes. I agree with Jim Holtz that 7.3.3 nightly is worth a try for anyone experiencing Controller connectivity related issues.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

Upgraded to 7.3.3 nightly yesterday (firmware r5225). The Controller sat next to me on the desk just decided to reboot for no apparent reason (the wireless router is in front of me as well).

bcg
2009-04-11, 15:38
Hi Jim,

Sorry I'm getting so grumpy about this...

I had problems with drop outs, rebuffering etc. with my Squeezebox2 running 6.x.x versions of the server software. This was with an expensive MIMO Netgear router which worked fine for my PC. So, after troubleshooting it I concluded that the the router wasn't optimized for streaming media. I purchased a ZyXel X-550 with dedicated QoS hardware for streaming media. I also placed the Squeezebox in the DMZ to eliminate router firewall conflicts.

That cured my issues. I now and have had for many months a VOIP phone system and three PC's that are usually in use in addition to my Duet. I've been through dozens of software revisions before installing 7.4. There have been quirks and bugs along the way but nothing that destroyed my ability to use and enjoy the SB2 I had or my Duet. The quirks were minor in comparison to the router.

I agree that upgrading my router may well solve my issues.

However, like other people in this thread, the current firmware has introduced the reliability problems. The Duet controller used to work fine with my router but with this firmware version it fails to wake-up, reboots randomly, etc.. Given that it used to work, and also that I replaced my router not that long ago, I'm reluctant to try to fix the problem by replacing my router. I'd like to see firmware changes reverted or, perhaps, options introduced to make the new behaviour optional.

BTW, I'm an IT guy for a living and I'm running a Windows XP SP3 PC as the server that doubles as my everyday home PC. I also "JUST" listen to CD's I've ripped and don't use or care for Internet radio or any of the other numerous features offered by the Duet.

I'm also an IT guy and I use a Buffalo Linkstation Pro running Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (Lenny) as the server. Actually, given that the Linkstations only have 128MB of RAM, I recently moved the database server to my second Linkstation. This arrangement is working quite well, with the 1st Linkstation's load now being much lighter.

I also just listen to the CDs I've ripped. We don't need all these fancy features... :-)

peace & happiness,
martin

Jim Holtz
2009-04-11, 21:49
Hi Martin,

It sounds like you've spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting your issues too. I'll admit, I was less than impressed with 3993 but 5226 works very well with Squeezecenter 7.4 anyway.

Also, all of my experience has been with Windows rather than Linux so your observations could very well be valid for the Linux builds.

I hope you get a good solid build that works for you. I've turned off automatic updates and only update when "I" want to. :-)

Good luck!

Jim

barrys49
2009-04-12, 15:06
I cannot believe that a release that causes so many problems is still in production.
This is a great product when it works. I have to wonder how many people don't buy this product or throw it away with these sorts of problems.
I was going to buy another one for the wife. I could not stand the constant nagging about this not working.
This is definatly not a product for people who are not PC literate. Fortunatly I work in the field so other than waisting a lot of time getting the device to work, its not a problem.

This is the only device I have on a wireless network and I use a static IP.
Wireless Extender TP-LINK TL-WA601G

I have backed out this release and have not had a single problem since Saturday when I did.

This is what I am now running.

SqueezeCenter 7.3.2
Reciever version 58
Controller 7.3 r3476

The only thing I hav not figured out is how to stop SqueezeNetwork from trying to upgrade the firmware. Anyone know how to? I often use my PC to connect to work so can't run SqueezeCenter all the time.

How will we know when they finally put out a stable release again?

Cheers
Barry

Jim Holtz
2009-04-12, 19:45
The only thing I hav not figured out is how to stop SqueezeNetwork from trying to upgrade the firmware. Anyone know how to? I often use my PC to connect to work so can't run SqueezeCenter all the time.

Cheers
Barry

Hi Barry,

Here's how to prevent automatic updates:

1. Open Squeezecenter and click on settings in the lower right corner.
2. Click on the advanced tab and click on the drop down arrow in the upper left corner that will expand a menu.
3. Select software updates
4. Turn off auto update and automatically download updates. This option might vary a bit depending on version.

That'll prevent Squeezecenter and the controller from auto updating.

HTH

Jim

bcg
2009-04-13, 04:34
I have backed out this release and have not had a single problem since Saturday when I did.

This is what I am now running.

SqueezeCenter 7.3.2
Reciever version 58
Controller 7.3 r3476

Barry, can you please let us know where you found r3476?

I ask because http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3/ and http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.3.2/ both contain r3993.

Thanks...

peace & happiness,
martin

bcg
2009-04-17, 16:07
Barry, can you please let us know where you found r3476?

I managed to find it here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.0/Launch_Firmware/

I'll post comments about whether downgrading does actually help...

peace & happiness,
martin

bcg
2009-04-17, 16:56
Hi Barry,

Here's how to prevent automatic updates:

1. Open Squeezecenter and click on settings in the lower right corner.
2. Click on the advanced tab and click on the drop down arrow in the upper left corner that will expand a menu.
3. Select software updates
4. Turn off auto update and automatically download updates. This option might vary a bit depending on version.

That'll prevent Squeezecenter and the controller from auto updating.

HTH

Jim

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with the combination of SC 7.3.2 and Jive r3476. I see a single option under "Software Updates" and I have it set to "Don't Check For Software Updates". When I start the Controller it tells me r3993 is available and I'm stuck on that screen. So perhaps switching updates off only works for the controller in a later release?

However, there is a workaround. If you wait for the screensaver (default clock for me) to kick in and then press the Controller's "home" button then you'll go back to the home screen and, from what I've seen so far, won't be asked to upgrade again until next time you restart the Controller. Note that you might have to be careful not to bump the Controller while pressing the "home" button or you'll knock it out of the screensaver and back into the upgrade screen.

So, while I'm testing to see if reverting to r3476 improves stability I'll be wasting a few seconds of my life every time I start the Controller by leaving it on the table until I see the screensaver... :-)

peace & happiness,
martin

Briain
2009-04-18, 05:15
Hi

I had this issue with turning off updates. It was suggested (I think earlier in this chain) that I delete it from the SC cache. I did that then installed the Jive I wished with no more prompts for update :)

I'm not near my server at the minute but think (from memory) you can find the cacle directory by looking at SC stats page (the one which also shows the path to the log files)

Hope that helps

Bri

bcg
2009-04-19, 14:51
I had this issue with turning off updates. It was suggested (I think earlier in this chain) that I delete it from the SC cache. I did that then installed the Jive I wished with no more prompts for update :)

Thanks for that!

Note that when I first did this it didn't work. However, restarting SC seems to have fixed that problem. So, at least on Linux, when you remove Jive from the cache you will also need to restart SC or it will still think the update is there.

peace & happiness,
martin

tcutting
2009-04-19, 15:38
I've been running 7.3.3 for quite a while and it's very stable. You might try a "nightly" update. The current controller firmware for 7.3.3 is r5225. I believe a lot of the r3993 issues have been resolved.

RandomGS
2009-04-25, 12:46
7.3 r3993 just got downloaded.

Can't smoothly stream even stuff from Soma.

When it rebuffers, the Duet control pops the tab up with the buffering info, repeatedly and fast, like a whack-a-mole. Might pop two times for 1%

When it is popping, you can't even back up to a previous screen. Just saw 16 pop ups for a re-buffer.

This this is a joy when it works, but when it stops - it keeps making me wonder if this was the second worst computer related purchase.

Is the Boom more stable?

autopilot
2009-04-26, 01:47
7.3 r3993 just got downloaded.

Can't smoothly stream even stuff from Soma.

When it rebuffers, the Duet control pops the tab up with the buffering info, repeatedly and fast, like a whack-a-mole. Might pop two times for 1%

When it is popping, you can't even back up to a previous screen. Just saw 16 pop ups for a re-buffer.

This this is a joy when it works, but when it stops - it keeps making me wonder if this was the second worst computer related purchase.

Is the Boom more stable?

Have you tried r5226? Seems much better IMO.

http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.4/

bcg
2009-05-06, 18:29
I've been running 7.3.3 for quite a while and it's very stable. You might try a "nightly" update. The current controller firmware for 7.3.3 is r5225. I believe a lot of the r3993 issues have been resolved.

I can confirm this. I finally got around to installing r5225 and have had no issues for the last couple of weeks. I'm using it with 7.3.2.

bcg
2009-05-06, 18:36
I can confirm this. I finally got around to installing r5225 and have had no issues for the last couple of weeks. I'm using it with 7.3.2.

That said, my controller just spontaneously rebooted... it obviously read the above post... ;-)

However, that's a small complaint compared to r3993, which would constantly reboot, lose the plot while playing, fall asleep and ever wake-up.

r5225 seems to wake-up without problems and doesn't seem to lose the plot while playing.