PDA

View Full Version : Genre - Ghost in the machine ?

one11
2009-02-05, 07:13
Squeeze center seems to "read/find" genres i don't have in my library

for instance:

Sufjan Stevens - i own 2 albums, and decided to tag the genre "Folk". Sure enough that new style is available and Sufjan can be accessed from them

BUT! (always a but huh..)

He is also listed in the "Alternative Folk" genre, a genre that i can't see on *any of my tracks in my library.

Are there "default" genre ? Can they be removed ? Can there be multiple genres per track ?

Thanks!
N

aubuti
2009-02-05, 07:40
What type of files are they? If they are MP3, you probably have some ID3v1 tags mixed in with your ID3v2 tags. Use a good tagging program like mp3tag (freeware for Windows OS) to identify what kinds of tags you have and delete any ID3v1 tags. The mp3tag interface for doing this isn't obvious to everyone, so take a look at the wiki page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide.

Also, there is no default genre. And yes, tracks can have multiple genres. Depending on the file format used you can either have multiple genre tags (eg, GENRE=Country and GENRE=Western) or you can use a character to separate the genres in a single tag (GENRE=Country;Western). You need to tell SC what you are using as your separator character (under Settings in the SC web ui) and then do a rescan for the changes to take effect.

Secret Squirrel
2009-02-05, 07:44
Squeeze center seems to "read/find" genres i don't have in my library

for instance:

Sufjan Stevens - i own 2 albums, and decided to tag the genre "Folk". Sure enough that new style is available and Sufjan can be accessed from them

BUT! (always a but huh..)

He is also listed in the "Alternative Folk" genre, a genre that i can't see on *any of my tracks in my library.

Are there "default" genre ? Can they be removed ? Can there be multiple genres per track ?

Thanks!
N

I felt the same way you did a while back, but after utilizing a couple of tools found that they really are in my library. The issue at hand, IMO, is the Squeeze Center and you are looking in different places. The easiest tool to use is probably MP3Tag or Tag & Rename. For me, the best way was to use MySQL Viewer (I do work some with relational databases so this is probably a "geek only" option). Using the tools I was able to locate and modify (in the FLAC tags) the weird genres. Oh, I also used Album Catalog Creator as a visual verification tool too. Search the forum, there are many discussions about all of these.

Good luck & HTH,

SS

one11
2009-02-05, 16:12
That's all very helpful - i'll spend some time this evening sorting through those. Also I realized some of those genres were on my track before - i full cache dump and reset might also help

thx for the help, much appreciated.

one11
2009-02-06, 11:11
Closed the SQL process and fully cleaned the cache.

Seems like the "Clean and fully rebuild" option from the squeeze central doesnt *really clean :)

thx again for your help guys
N

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-06, 11:24
No, it must be in the tags somewhere.

What file format are they? Look for both ID3v1 tags AND APEv2 tags, check the wiki article posted earlier.

Make sure you're only looking at ID3v2 tags, and check the "Extended Tags" dialog box too.

If all else fails you can hit the file with a very big hammer - look at it in a hex editor. ID3 tags will be at the start of the file, APE tags will be at the end. Don't edit it here, use a tag editor, but it will absolutely show you where the tags are coming from.

snarlydwarf
2009-02-06, 12:13
No, it must be in the tags somewhere.

Or it could be in tags imported from iTunes or MusicIP if you are using them.

When I ran MusicIP, SC would merge the tags of the files with the tags that MusicIP got from some other planet. Fortunately, there is a way around that now, and it even makes SC faster on scans if you use MusicIP.

I don't have iTunes, so no idea how it loads iTunes' database and if that merges in funky tags from iTunes.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-06, 12:23
Or it could be in tags imported from iTunes or MusicIP if you are using them.

Never thought of that as I don't use them, but good point.

Still, they are buried in there somewhere! I had one wayward tag that I put up with for years - Lynyrd Skynyrd was misspelled (fancy that!) on just one track. Drove me crazy.

Finally I had enough and tried the hex editor trick. Lo and behold, there it was at the end of the file in an APEv2 tag! Mp3tag quickly took care of it, but I didn't think to look for it because it was so strange and is the only one of the 4813 tracks I have with an APEv2 tag.

I thought along one11's lines, that it was SC and some weird not-flushing-cache thing, but really - it wasn't!