PDA

View Full Version : security and volume

2nice
2009-02-02, 13:01
Hi.

I'm wondering about security in the sense, that if a hacker gets ones userid+password for squeezenetwork - he would actually be able to turn on your boxes aoround the house and probably mess up other things, right?

Secondly - the volume control of the squeezenetwork UI is a little difficult to manage since its steps are quite large.
I accidently turned up the volume of my Boom to the max - when playing with the gui - I hope the Boom is designed to withstand that?

/Bo

aubuti
2009-02-02, 13:05
I'm wondering about security in the sense, that if a hacker gets ones userid+password for squeezenetwork - he would actually be able to turn on your boxes aoround the house and probably mess up other things, right?
Yes, they could turn on/off boxes and change the volume, *IF* the boxes are connected to SN. If they aren't (eg, they are connected to SC) then the hacker couldn't "grab" them. Re "mess up other things", what did you have in mind? They could change your favorites and such.

So, the usual rules apply: pick a good password.

2nice
2009-02-02, 13:11
...Re "mess up other things", what did you have in mind? They could change your favorites and such.

So, the usual rules apply: pick a good password.

Well I'll make it even stronger - just to be sure. :-) Do you know about volume max... that shouldn't be a problem - right? I was quite loud :-)
thanks,
Bo.

toby10
2009-02-02, 13:25
Well I'll make it even stronger - just to be sure. :-) Do you know about volume max... that shouldn't be a problem - right? I was quite loud :-)
thanks,
Bo.

I think the Boom's DSP would prevent damage to the speakers. I've cranked my Boom to 100% a couple of times just to play with it and no problems.

But it's probably a good idea not to do so regularly. :)

2nice
2009-02-02, 13:46
But it's probably a good idea not to do so regularly. :)

Yes... you're right - my son was in the kitchen at the time where I got it to the max - and he didn't like it that much! :-)

Thank you for you replies.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-02, 13:51
I accidently turned up the volume of my Boom to the max - when playing with the gui - I hope the Boom is designed to withstand that?

It's fine, read the white paper:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/a/ad/Logitech_Squeezebox_Boom_Audio_Design.pdf

See figure 8 on page 6 - note "Speaker Protection".

Also the DSP compresses the sound more and more as the volume is increased beyond about 95. Sound quality suffers a bit but at least the drivers don't get damaged. Plus if you need 95+ volume on Boom you should get something bigger.

2nice
2009-02-02, 14:29
Plus if you need 95+ volume on Boom you should get something bigger.

I did actually look at the white paper, but obviously not as close as you.
Thank you for clearing that out for me. By the way volumes aroung 20 is quite sufficient for me. :-)
/Bo