PDA

View Full Version : What software to normalize songs?

htsource
2009-02-01, 20:48
I'd like to know if any software out there can normalize FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc., without actually altering the file. I read somewhere that some software can generate a separate file and SqueezeCenter is able to read that file to normalize the sound track.

Thanks for your information.

aubuti
2009-02-01, 21:31
I'd like to know if any software out there can normalize FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc., without actually altering the file. I read somewhere that some software can generate a separate file and SqueezeCenter is able to read that file to normalize the sound track.
Often the term "normalization" is used for processes that alter the audio file, which you definitely don't want. You want to calculate Replay Gain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_gain), and then apply those values to tags in your FLAC and MP3 files. SC will read those tags and adjust the volume accordingly. There is no standard for tagging WAV files, so I don't know how you would apply replay gain information there.

As for software, the choice depends partly what system you are using (Windows, Mac OS, Linux). On Windows, foobar2000 is good for replay gain processing. If you want to calculate at ripping time, dBpoweramp will do replay gain tags. Robin Bowes has a very nice Perl script that will run on any platform (as long as it has Perl installed) -- it's called apply_replaygain.pl. You can search for it on these forums or on www.robinbowes.com

Finally, be sure to note that there are two types of replay gain: album gain and track gain. You want both.

htsource
2009-02-02, 17:49
Thank you, that's exactly what I was after. I don't want the program to alter the audio file, so the foobar solution works exactly what I'm after.

Question though, what's the difference between album and track replay gain? What I did so far, I showed all the songs from my entire library in foobar, I highlight them all, select ReplayGain, Scan selection as Albums (by tags).

Is this the right thing to do?

Thank you for your reply.

badbob
2009-02-02, 18:06
Yes that's correct.
Album gain is used when playing a whole album, all tracks are set to a single gain value unchanged between tracks.

Track album is used when playing in random mix, on each track gain is adjusted.

aubuti
2009-02-03, 07:13
Yes that's correct.
Album gain is used when playing a whole album, all tracks are set to a single gain value unchanged between tracks.

Track album is used when playing in random mix, on each track gain is adjusted.
And to get this behavior in SqueezeCenter you need to turn on "Smart Gain" for each of your Squeezeboxes. You can find it under settings on any of the SB interfaces (IR remote, web ui, SB Duet Controller).

rgreening
2009-02-05, 04:11
If you want to just alter the volume of the tracks/albums then there is a great tool called MP3Gain and it's free.

I use it to normalise all my MP3 colection.

Rgds
Richard

slimpy
2009-02-05, 04:47
If you want to just alter the volume of the tracks/albums then there is a great tool called MP3Gain and it's free.

I use it to normalise all my MP3 colection.

Rgds
Richard
That's exactly what he doesn't want to do - alter the audio data.

However, mp3gain can also be used to only calculate replay gain values and store them in the tags.
Just don't use any of mp3gain's "apply gain" command line switches.
And as the name implies - it's for mp3 only.

-s.