PDA

View Full Version : Huge image size for slim.exe



Bob Myers
2004-05-02, 23:22
I have the latest official build running under Windows with 13K songs.
I've noticed that slim.exe keeps growing. Right now the "Mem Usage"
shown for slim.exe in Task Manager is 260M. (When it starts up it's
about 50M. It seems to grow on web interface refresh, although I can't
be totally sure about that.) Is there a memory leak? How can it be so
large?

--
Bob Myers

kdf
2004-05-02, 23:42
You are correct, its the web interface.

This is a known issue, which has been resolved in the nightly builds:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/

-kdf

Quoting Bob Myers <rtm (AT) gol (DOT) com>:

> I have the latest official build running under Windows with 13K songs.
> I've noticed that slim.exe keeps growing. Right now the "Mem Usage"
> shown for slim.exe in Task Manager is 260M. (When it starts up it's
> about 50M. It seems to grow on web interface refresh, although I can't
> be totally sure about that.) Is there a memory leak? How can it be so
> large?

Bob Myers
2004-05-03, 08:17
Quoting kdf:

> Quoting Bob Myers <rtm-FW+hd8ioUD0 (AT) public (DOT) gmane.org>:
>
>> I have the latest official build running under Windows with 13K
>> songs. I've noticed that slim.exe keeps growing. Right now the "Mem
>> Usage" shown for slim.exe in Task Manager is 260M. (When it starts
>> up it's about 50M. It seems to grow on web interface refresh,
>> although I can't be totally sure about that.) Is there a memory
>> leak? How can it be so large?

> You are correct, its the web interface.
>
> This is a known issue, which has been resolved in the nightly builds:
> http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/
>
> -kdf

Thanks. Actually, I've been avoiding downloading nightlies. I'm actually
pretty much an "out-of-the-box" user. However, I did download the May
3rd nightly (.exe installer). I guess I should have saved my
preferences somewhere since the installer overwrote them.

I am running this from the command line since I had some problems in the
past using it as a service. The first time I ran the new server, I got:

C:\ >slim
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win3 2.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/PerlApp/File/Spec/Win32.pm line 101.
C:\ > [[crashed]]

The next time I ran it, it came up, but gave me

getpeername() on closed socket GEN6 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line 206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN1460 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN10196 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN11339 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN12029 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN9951 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN13003 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN13965 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN14971 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN15766 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.
getpeername() on closed socket GEN17013 at /PerlApp/IO/Socket.pm line
206.

I'd been getting these messages with previous versions as well.

It played a couple of songs, then crashed again.

I started it up again, got four of the getpeername() messages, then

file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found
file error - 1: not found

Speaking for a certain category of slim users, what I'd really like is a
stable release version. To my unwashed self, it appears that new server
versions may be being moved to release prematurely. For instance, an
all-night test of the release version that leaked memory could have
revealed that problem. I would hope there is a standard test suite that
should include hundreds or thousands of items for this product in its
mass-consumer version (i.e. official SlimDevices website release
version, the one people are alerted to as something they might want to
upgrade to).

Just my thoughts.

--
Bob