X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hossman
    • Dec 2007

Network Metrics and the SB??

Hello All,

I am having a problem convincing my Squeezebox (Classic V3, I guess it's now called) to work on my new network. Here's what I have:

I have my SB wired directly to my router, and my PC also wired to the router. However, my PC has a wireless card that 'imports' the internet wirelessly from one of my neighbors that is too stupid to know about encryption (so I'm not using my network for the internet at all). The problem I have is that I have to assign a lower metric to the 'wired' network to get my wireless internet working, and then the SB does not work anymore, even though it sees my PC on the network.

Anyone had any experience with this? It's a special case, I know.. but maybe someone understands metrics?

Cheers!

Chris
  • radish
    • Apr 2005

Metrics apply when you have complex routing scenarios where there are multiple ways to get to the same address (or more precisely, the same address space). In other words, if you have two interfaces, both on the 192.168.2.x subnet, and the computer needs to send a packet to 192.168.2.10 - it needs to somehow decide which one to use - it will choose the interface with the lowest metric. If the two interfaces are on different subnets then it will simply use the one on the same subnet as the target address. Now this gets more complex again when you get routers (which act as gateways) involved, but my guess is that both your network and your neighbours are on the same subnet, which is causing the confusion. Change yours to one of the other non-routable ranges and you should be OK. It'd also be smart to disable DHCP and rely on static IPs, as your router may be advertising itself as a gateway via DHCP, and that could screw things up again.

But my main advice would be to get your own internet connection.
    http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• seanadams
      Founder, Slim Devices
      • Apr 2005

Agreed, metrics are the wrong solution. You have a whacky topology.

Get you own internet connection... or get a router and use this product on the WAN port to connect to, say, a COUGH local COUGH free COUGH municipal wifi network. http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-B.../dp/B0010TEOLQ

Comment

Working...