PDA

View Full Version : Umm... Tone Controls?

FatElvis2000
2009-01-28, 20:41
Hello. I just bought a Squeezebox 1 off ebay for my living room. Where'd the tone controls come from? Never saw this with the SB3....

http://i42.tinypic.com/2d852so.jpg

ModelCitizen
2009-01-29, 03:23
They'll be in the software.

MC

FatElvis2000
2009-01-29, 06:38
They'll be in the software.

MC

Yes, but I'm coming from a SB3 which doesn't have tone controls at all! So this is interesting to me.... why bass/treble with the SB1 but not SB3?

Overall, not sure I hear a diff between the two with the SB1 set at 50 for both Bass and Treble, so the settings seem to be perfectly flat (maybe the SB1 is a bit "thick" sounding by comparison).

But it's useful feature (as long as it's defeatable) for room/speaker correction. So why not on the SB3 if it can be done on the SB1?

st2000
2009-01-29, 06:41
FatElvis2000 wrote:
> Hello. I just bought a Squeezebox 1 off ebay for my living room.
> Where'd the tone controls come from? They seem to work through the
> headphone jack.
>
> [image: http://i42.tinypic.com/2d852so.jpg]

So you ripped your CD, but do not like how the sound engineer mastered
the music? Well, ok...

But, I do not believe there are any such controls on that SB. Maybe not
on any SB. Keep in mind any type of filter has side effects. The
better filters have less. Most of the people here are very keen on
getting the best sound. (For instance, that digital to analog converter
chip inside that box is supposed to be one of the best.) Therefore most
relegate these types of features to rather expensive stereos.

That said, your question is discussed here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=49248

....evidently people are doing this using plugins on the server. That
is, they are changing the data even before it is sent to the SB. It
goes without saying that the server will need to be fast enough to do
this. I should think most standard computers are. However some run
servers on very minimal hardware like a SLUG or NAS box.

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-29, 06:43
Apparently it was a feature that was included in either the decoder or the DAC of the SB1 by the component manufacturer.

The SB2/3/Transporter use different components here which do not include these. They would have to be written into the software "SlimDSP" which is already full of codecs.

Boom does have tone controls because it has a DSP.

seanadams
2009-01-29, 07:05
Apparently it was a feature that was included in either the decoder or the DAC of the SB1 by the component manufacturer.

The SB2/3/Transporter use different components here which do not include these. They would have to be written into the software "SlimDSP" which is already full of codecs.

Boom does have tone controls because it has a DSP.

That's correct

FatElvis2000
2009-01-29, 10:09
So you ripped your CD, but do not like how the sound engineer mastered
the music? Well, ok...

Well, don't assume too much there! I bought a SB1 on the cheap for my 2nd system, and was surprised to see the bass/treble controls, considering they aren't available on my SB3.

But, I do not believe there are any such controls on that SB. Maybe not
on any SB.

That's clearly not the case... I was playing with bass settings last night on the SB1. They work. Though sound quality is indeed compromised with any more than a 10% adjustment in one direction or the other. They are not "narrow band" tone controls like on my NAD 7240pe.

FatElvis2000
2009-01-29, 10:21
That's correct

Hey Sean -- in your opinion, should the SB1 sound pretty much comparable to an SB3?

seanadams
2009-01-29, 11:29
Hey Sean -- in your opinion, should the SB1 sound pretty much comparable to an SB3?

No, SB2 and later products are far superior. SB2 was a big leap forward, when we ditched the Micronas integrated DSPs that were used in SLIMP3 and SB1.