PDA

View Full Version : It's Arrived!

a.wright
2009-01-28, 14:13
Hi,

My Duet arrived today and I have to say that first impressions are that it is a very well made piece of kit. No problems getting it all going (apart from realising that the Controller MAC address was under the battery after I had keyed in my WEP key!).

A couple of questions though:

What is the generally preferred protocol in terms of switching the device on and off? I guess the Controller is always on as it is in the charging cradle but do users just tend to leave the receiver on all the time?

Also even after having read through the instruction manual, we still can't seem to work out how to output sound from the headphone jack on the Controller...

So far so good though!

iPhone
2009-01-28, 14:34
Hi,

My Duet arrived today and I have to say that first impressions are that it is a very well made piece of kit. No problems getting it all going (apart from realising that the Controller MAC address was under the battery after I had keyed in my WEP key!).

A couple of questions though:

What is the generally preferred protocol in terms of switching the device on and off? I guess the Controller is always on as it is in the charging cradle but do users just tend to leave the receiver on all the time?

Also even after having read through the instruction manual, we still can't seem to work out how to output sound from the headphone jack on the Controller...

So far so good though!

The Receiver is always on and the only way to tune it truly off is to unplug it. Even if you select Turn Off Duet from the Controller, the LED on the front goes out, but the Receiver is still in standby. Also so you don't freak out about the front LED, if you turn the Duet off with the Controller (really standby) and the LED goes out, it will come back on if the Receiver loses contact with the Server/PC running SC and will turn itself on to look for SN.

To turn on the headphone jack on the Controller, install SC 7.3.2 if you haven't already. Allow the Controller to update the Firmware if it hasn't already, then using the Controller goto Setting\Advanced\Audio Playback and check the box then back out with the left arrow or home key. Your done. Now look at your available players on the Controller and you should see COntroller. I believe if you insert a headphone jack after changing the setting the Controller will become the current player. There is more in the Wiki: 7.4.3 Release Notes (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes)

a.wright
2009-01-28, 15:50
Thanks for the tips... but I only get sound out of the little speaker on the back of the remote, still nothing comes out of the headphones!! I must have been through all the menus 50 times now and can't find anything that switches sound to the phones jack!

a.wright
2009-01-31, 10:48
Well after a good period of testing everything seems to work flawlessly (apart from the controller headphone jack issue which I realise is a common problem) so I am very pleased. I am not 100% convinced it is reading the ReplayGain tags properly, even though in Sqeezecenter it is showing the volume adjustments but that might just be a perceived difference between different types of tracks...

All in all, very pleased and being able to play FLAC files rather than MP3s (even at high bitrates) is wonderful for much of my music (Motorhead, Slayer and the like!).

So far, so good...