PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent compilations from appearing under an artist ?

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-27, 02:37
I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now and I can't find an answer so I figured I'd ask you guys ^^
Here's the deal : I have some albums and a few compilations in my library. So I've tagged the compilations with ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags (since I also use foobar2000) and checked "Group compilation albums together" in the preferences.
So the compilations are listed under the album artist if it exists, or under "various artist" if it doesn't, and I don't have hundreds of artists appearing in the artist list. Everything is fine so far.

The problem occurs when I have an album of several an artist which also appears on some compilations : The compilations are also listed under this artist, with only one track.

For exemple, I have the soundtrack of Nightmare Before Christmas, with covers from various artists on the second CD. The album artist is Danny Elfmann, so it appears under "Danny Elfman". There's a track from Korn, and since I don't have any albums from them, "Korn" is not listed under "artists" on my Squeezebox.
However, there's a track from Marilyn Manson, and I happen to have one of his albums, so when I browse to "Marilyn Manson" I have 2 albums : The real album, and "Nightmare Revisited" with only one track, which doesn't make sense to me.

It might seem trivial in this case, but I have some artists i my library that have made like 3 albums and appear on 8 compilations with one track on each one...

Any help would be appreciated. I's prefer to use the default browser if possible, if not I can switch to custom browse.
Thanx !

JJZolx
2009-01-27, 05:15
You can't.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-27, 05:31
Haha, at least that's a clear answer, thanx =)

corbey
2009-01-27, 06:26
You could always retag the tracks so that the Album Artist appears in the Artist field for each one. If you're worried about losing the information, you could include the individual artist in the title of the track.

Howard Passman
2009-01-27, 07:40
Looking at just the title of your question I think this may be your answer.

In SC go to settings then the Music Library tab and then "Group Compilation Albums Together"

Maybe?

Howard

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-27, 08:34
Looking at just the title of your question I think this may be your answer.

Yeah, but if you look at the rest of my message I'v already done that ;-)

I've tagged the compilations with ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags (since I also use foobar2000) and checked "Group compilation albums together" in the preferences.
Thanx anyway !

You could always retag the tracks so that the Album Artist appears in the Artist field for each one. If you're worried about losing the information, you could include the individual artist in the title of the track.
Yeah, I guess that would work, or I could create a tag like "track artist" and configure my foobar strings to display that instead of %artist% if it's there.
that's not really what I was hoping for, but I might end up doing that, thanx for the idea !

Or maybe I'll just leave it this way, it's much less frustrating if I know it's the intended behavior and not just an option I overlooked. I guess I just so used to the way my foobar config works that I'm a too picky as soon as another app doesn't manage my library in the exact same way ^^;

Philip Meyer
2009-01-27, 09:06
The problem occurs when I have an album of several an artist which also appears on some compilations : The compilations are also listed under this artist, with only one track.

That is working as intended.

"Group Compilations together" controls what is displayed in the list of artists, not what is displayed when you browse to a specific artist.

Browsing to a specific artist is meant to display all music by that artist.

There is an enhancement request covering this feature (I can't find the bug number at the moment, but can tell you the number when I get home).

I suggested different wording for the existing setting options, to avoid confusion in this area, and suggested that when viewing a list of albums, there could be an option to group regular and other albums separately. i.e. display a list of regular albums, and then list "Also appears on..." albums (which would include compilations and guest performances - where the album artist is different to the artist being viewed).

gregklanderman
2009-01-27, 09:49
>>>>> Philip Meyer <Philip.Meyer.3mojan1233072601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> There is an enhancement request covering this feature (I can't find the
> bug number at the moment, but can tell you the number when I get home).

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4754

greg

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-27, 09:57
Browsing to a specific artist is meant to display all music by that artist.
Yes, that makes perfect sense in most situations. That's just not I'd want it to behave if I had a choice ^^
Also, what is confusing is that it won't create a new entry for artists that are present only in compilations.

And thanx for the link, I see my "problem" has already been extensively discussed =)
/me voted !

Phil Leigh
2009-01-27, 12:24
Also, what is confusing is that it won't create a new entry for artists that are present only in compilations.

I don't understand - in my SC I get an entry in the browse artist lists for ALL artists even if they don't have an album of their own but only appear on compilations!

I'm sure there's a setting that controls this...

ptrainer
2009-01-27, 14:08
I don't understand - in my SC I get an entry in the browse artist lists for ALL artists even if they don't have an album of their own but only appear on compilations!

I'm sure there's a setting that controls this...

Mine is this way as well, though I'm not a fan of it. It bloats my Artist directory with lots of one-shot performers. I wish there was a way to disable it. If I really need to find a particular singer who appears once in a compilation I can use the search function.

JJZolx
2009-01-27, 14:52
Mine is this way as well, though I'm not a fan of it. It bloats my Artist directory with lots of one-shot performers. I wish there was a way to disable it. If I really need to find a particular singer who appears once in a compilation I can use the search function.

You can keep the one-shot performers out of the artist list by making sure that the albums they're on are marked compilations and setting the "group compilations" preference. Usually, you don't have to do anything for those albums to be marked as compilations, but you can add a COMPILATION tag to Flac, Ogg, or Monkey's Audio files, or an ID3v2 TCMP tag to Mp3s.

What you _can't_ do is prevent the compilation albums from showing up under the artist when you browse an artist's albums. If you have artists with normal/full albums and they also appear on compilations, then both type of albums will appear under the artist.

Phil Leigh
2009-01-27, 14:53

Well - I may be unusual but I like this feature. If I want to see on;y "proper albums"... I browse albums, not artists. If you set up the sort order properly for each browse, they appear in the same order. I like to see artist - album - year (ascending) which is the way I have organised my physical media for nearly 40 years. I use this sort order in the Web UI and browse artists when I want to see ALL artists including one-shot performers and browse albums if want to see only proper albums with comps under "various artists"

I never "browse" using the remote or controller so YMMV.

Philip Meyer
2009-01-27, 15:40
>Well - I may be unusual but I like this feature.
You are not alone!

JJZolx
2009-01-27, 15:56
>Well - I may be unusual but I like this feature.
You are not alone!

I like having the compilation albums there, but I would also like the option (discussed elsewhere and in bugzilla) of having them down another level, under a link titled something like "Also appears on...". This is the only way that we're ever going to be able to tag all performers on an album, such as is common in jazz. Otherwise, you could easily end up with dozens or even hundreds of albums listed for some artists.

Philip Meyer
2009-01-27, 16:39
I think that is a good compromise that seems to be acceptable to everyone.

InTheBath
2009-01-28, 15:06
I tried to tidy this up as well before realising that there was no way to limit the Artists list to only their complete albums.

If I want to play all Johnny Cash albums, I can't just go to Johnny Cash and press play* as I get all the odd tracks that he appears on from other albums. It just is that way.

(Note that you also play every track that Johnny Cash wrote even though he doesn't appear on it. So if you scroll to Johnny Cash and press play, you also get to hear Britney Spear's cover of "Ring of Fire". That bug is here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53699 )

To play all JC albums, I think I have to either set up a playlist (I'm not going to do that for each artist) or scroll to each album and press + to add it to the Now Playing list.

M.

* Surely this is what the "shuffle by album" setting is for. In what context can people use this setting?

Philip Meyer
2009-01-29, 10:54
>I tried to tidy this up as well before realising that there was no way
>to limit the Artists list to only their complete albums.
>
No, that's wrong - the "Artists list" shows a list of artists, and that CAN be controlled by the "Group compilations" setting.

I think you mean the music displayed for a selected artist shows all music, not just complete albums.

Pressing play whilst sitting on an artist in the Browse Artists list should play all music by that artist.

>If I want to play all Johnny Cash albums, I can't just go to Johnny
>Cash and press play* as I get all the odd tracks that he appears on
>from other albums. It just is that way.
>
Correct.

>(Note that you also play every track that Johnny Cash wrote even though
>he doesn't appear on it.
>
It's purely based on tags. If you have a cover version by Britney Spears, the artist tag should be set to only Britney Spears, as she is the only performer on the track. I personally set a custom tag (eg ORGINALARTIST=Johnny Cash) and use a Custom Browse menu to view cover songs (I have two menus - one to view covers by cover artist and then original artist, and one to view by original artist and the cover artist).

How are you tagging? putting Johnny Cash as the COMPOSER? I leave COMPOSER for classical music only.

Phil

InTheBath
2009-01-29, 11:11
Just replying to your last point.

I have tags set as follows:
ARTIST=Britney Spears
COMPOSER=Johnny Cash

So going to Johnny Cash and browsing the tree, you never see the Britney track. But if you browse to Johnny cash and PLAY ALL, you get all the JC tracks plus the Britney track.

This is expected behaviour apparently.

M.

PS
I've got Composer set for all a couple of my tracks. I use it to set up some dynamic playlists (Bowie covers for example: Artist<>Bowie + Composer=Bowie).

Philip Meyer
2009-01-29, 15:56
>I have tags set as follows:
>ARTIST=Britney Spears
>COMPOSER=Johnny Cash
>
>So going to Johnny Cash and browsing the tree, you never see the
>Britney track. But if you browse to Johnny cash and PLAY ALL, you get
>all the JC tracks plus the Britney track.
>
This is not what I see. I have an album Rocks The West by California Guitar Trio, on which one track has COMPOSER=Ludwig Van Beethoven.

If I go to Browse Artists > Ludwig Van Beethoven, I see albums by Ludwig Van Beethoven, and also Rocks The West. If I hit play on the Ludwig Van Beethoven, it plays what I see when I browse to that artist.

This is because I have the Composers checkbox ticked within Settings > Music Library. So it will display composers in the Browse Artists list. Apparently, this also causes albums containing songs with a composer role to be listed in the album list when browsing to that artist.

I would say that is inconsistent. The tooltip for the checkbox setting says "Song information about composers, bands and orchestras can be included in the artists list for browsing and search.". But it does also seem to filter in albums context too, which I don't think it should do, as the Compilation checkbox only applies to the artists list.

>This is expected behaviour apparently.
>
I would disagree with that.

eg. With the Composer checkbox unticked, I can browse to Ludwig Van Beethoven, and I don't see "Rocks The West" album listed for that artist. If I hit All Songs play button, it plays everything that Beethoven has an involvement with, which is more than the items listed on the page.

I agree with you - it's wrong! Playing all music by an artist always plays all songs with any contributor role. Browsing to an Artist should always show all music by that artist - the same as when browsing to the artist.

Is there a bug report for this, that I can add a comment to and vote for?

Phil

InTheBath
2009-01-30, 09:35
>I have tags set as follows:
>ARTIST=Britney Spears
>COMPOSER=Johnny Cash
>
>So going to Johnny Cash and browsing the tree, you never see the
>Britney track. But if you browse to Johnny cash and PLAY ALL, you get
>all the JC tracks plus the Britney track.
>
This is not what I see. I have an album Rocks The West by California Guitar Trio, on which one track has COMPOSER=Ludwig Van Beethoven.

If I go to Browse Artists > Ludwig Van Beethoven, I see albums by Ludwig Van Beethoven, and also Rocks The West. If I hit play on the Ludwig Van Beethoven, it plays what I see when I browse to that artist.

So there's no way to play all the tracks that have the Artist set as LvB without also playing the tracks that have Composer=LvB.

>This is expected behaviour apparently.
>
I would disagree with that.

Well this is what Logitech support told me after a techie had looked at the code.

I agree with you - it's wrong!

Logically it's wrong. I'm told this is what the code was written to do.

Is there a bug report for this, that I can add a comment to and vote for?

Yes. Yer tiz: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9994