PDA

View Full Version : broken remote? here have a new squeezebox

davidsilence
2009-01-26, 16:40
So I called up Logitech a month ago as my SB3 remote was not working and told them that I couldn't update my firmware because my remote was bust (when are they going to sort out a better way to update firmware?). It turns out that they do not have any remotes in stock at the moment and after a few phone calls and uploading proof of purchase a brand new sealed black Logitech SB3 arrived ( i have a silver ethernet slimdevices model ) When i asked them what i should do with the old model they said chuck it away. unbelievable.

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-26, 16:49
So I called up Logitech a month ago as my SB3 remote was not working and told them that I couldn't update my firmware because my remote was bust (when are they going to sort out a better way to update firmware?).

They have. You can now update automatically. Just select "Automatic updates" in the setup menu.

It turns out that they do not have any remotes in stock at the moment and after a few phone calls and uploading proof of purchase a brand new sealed black Logitech SB3 arrived ( i have a silver ethernet slimdevices model ) When i asked them what i should do with the old model they said chuck it away. unbelievable.

Are you complaining? :-)

You may want to put it on eBay...with a clear disclaimer about the problem you were having with it.

pippin
2009-01-26, 16:53
They have. You can now update automatically. Just select "Automatic updates" in the setup menu.

Yes, but you need a remote to do that :-)

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-26, 16:55
Yes, but you need a remote to do that :-)

Of course - but the OP can select this on their new SB.

mherger
2009-01-27, 01:51
> Yes, but you need a remote to do that :-)

Newer firmwares default to autoupdate.

--

Michael

st2000
2009-01-27, 17:30
davidsilence wrote:
> So I called up Logitech a month ago as my SB3 remote was not working and
> told them that I couldn't update my firmware because my remote was bust
> (when are they going to sort out a better way to update firmware?). It
> turns out that they do not have any remotes in stock at the moment and
> after a few phone calls and uploading proof of purchase a brand new
> sealed black Logitech SB3 arrived ( i have a silver ethernet
> slimdevices model ) When i asked them what i should do with the old
> model they said chuck it away. unbelievable.

Ahh, chuck it in this direction! However, I would keep it and get the
codes for the player here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1004

Buy a cheep compatible all-for-one remote, build or buy a programming
cable and read as much as you can about the JP1 project here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

If you're not up for all that, I suspect you can do the same for more
money if you buy a harmony remote, but I'm not sure (if you need a
working remote to learn from - maybe, maybe not).

radish
2009-01-27, 18:10
Harmony remotes start at around $40 and are fully SB compatible (you program them from an online database which includes all the required codes).

seanadams
2009-01-27, 18:52
So I called up Logitech a month ago as my SB3 remote was not working and told them that I couldn't update my firmware because my remote was bust (when are they going to sort out a better way to update firmware?). It turns out that they do not have any remotes in stock at the moment and after a few phone calls and uploading proof of purchase a brand new sealed black Logitech SB3 arrived ( i have a silver ethernet slimdevices model ) When i asked them what i should do with the old model they said chuck it away. unbelievable.

So much for that "green initiative" :(

bephillips
2009-01-27, 21:48
I've been impressed with the continued developments in the Squeeze line and software since aquisition by Logitech.

I had a Logitech portable speaker unit for iPod (mine's rockboxed) that had a bad aux input jack. When I called Logitech about it, after the CSR was satisfied that I had properly troubleshot the problem, they just sent me a new unit. The ipod dock on the old one still works, so I have a mostly functional second unit now.

Hope it's all working out well for you, Sean.