PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off m3u Indexing?

bmorejojo
2009-01-24, 14:23
My music library is setup with a folder corresponding to each physical CD. Inside each folder:

The track files (FLAC)
A cover.jpg file for cover art
EAC log file (.log)
A Playlist for the CD (.m3u file)

My question is this - how can I tell SqueezeCenter to not index these individual .m3u files, while maintaining support for other .m3u files I might create, especially dynamically while listening to my squeezeboxes?

Since moving to 7.x, I have been having an increasing number of scanning issues (I've checked my logs - it's not the Antivirus problem). My database is 4,000 albums, 51,000 tracks and I'm wondering if it's a little much for my XP machine to handle at this point.

The way I have things setup, there is no need for SC to index these .m3u files, since I can accomplish the same playlist by just selecting the album folder. When I read the scan logs, it spends a disproportionally long time working on these 4,000 playlists, which are of no use to me.

I'm guessing some combination of the Playlists Folder setting in Basic Settings and

Settings->Advanced->File Types->Disabled Playlist File Extensions

can accomplish what I want, but I'd prefer not to guess (and have to rescan each time to see if it worked).

Thanks for suggestions.

aubuti
2009-01-24, 22:30
The way I have things setup, there is no need for SC to index these .m3u files, since I can accomplish the same playlist by just selecting the album folder. When I read the scan logs, it spends a disproportionally long time working on these 4,000 playlists, which are of no use to me.
If they're of no use to you, and they slow down the scanning, why not just delete those playlists? I used to have a similar arrangement, and only had the m3u playlists for each album because that's how I had set up EAC and flac. I then deleted those files, and reset the options on my ripper & encoder to stop creating those files.

bmorejojo
2009-01-25, 07:35
If they're of no use to you, and they slow down the scanning, why not just delete those playlists? I used to have a similar arrangement, and only had the m3u playlists for each album because that's how I had set up EAC and flac. I then deleted those files, and reset the options on my ripper & encoder to stop creating those files.

I prefer to keep the .m3u files around because it's the easiest way to play a whole album, in correct track order, when I'm playing directly from the hard drive (with winamp, xmplay, etc) and not through SC.

I tried re-indexing everything with the Playlists Folder set to a dummy folder. It didn't index all my m3u and it seems like I can save new ones, so maybe that's all I needed to do...

JJZolx
2009-01-26, 00:16
I'm guessing some combination of the Playlists Folder setting in Basic Settings and

Settings->Advanced->File Types->Disabled Playlist File Extensions

can accomplish what I want, but I'd prefer not to guess (and have to rescan each time to see if it worked).

That's right, but I'm afraid I'd only be guessing as well. I think you'd enter "m3u" under "Disabled Audio File Extensions", which should keep the scanner from reading the m3u files when it scans your music folder.

That's as long as you have a playlist folder designated that is separate from the music folder. If your playlist folder is the same as, or within your music folder then I believe the playlist scan would pick them up regardless. You could also add "m3u" to "Disabled Playlist File Extensions", but it would probably interfere with your ability to save and play playlists within SqueezeCenter.