PDA

View Full Version : FreeNAS and sox

tobyjug
2009-01-24, 10:04
I've currently been messing arround with 96/24 flac files (recording from vinyl and downloading from Linn). I can output form my M-Audio sound card into a dCS Purcell and Delius, which sounds great. Up untill I upgraded to the latest SC the 3 squeezeboxes all played these files (I believe half the data was discarded in the process) From what I've read in the forums in the latest version of SC 96/24 flac files are downsampled by the server and streamed to the SB's using SOX. This is exactly what I want, only it doesn't work. I have upgraded FreeNAS to the latest version and in the process determined that both the FLAC and SOX utilities are installed by the Slimnas install. SOX is ver 13.0.0. I suspect the SlimNAS installed needs tweeked. Could someone confirm this. It would be nice to get this working.

mherger
2009-01-26, 10:21
> SOX utilities are installed by the Slimnas install. SOX is ver 13.0.0. I
> suspect the SlimNAS installed needs tweeked. Could someone confirm this.
> It would be nice to get this working.

Yes, SC comes shipped with 14.2 for the other platforms. I tried to
compile it for FreeNAS over the weekend, but failed :-(. I'll need some
more time, I'm sorry.

tobyjug
2009-01-26, 14:05
It's OK. I'm happy to wait.

Thanks.

tobyjug
2009-02-24, 09:43
Still happily waiting. ;-)

mherger
2009-02-26, 01:25
> Still happily waiting. ;-)

I'm glad you're happy - because I don't expect it to happen any time soon
:-(

Michael

Yayita
2009-08-22, 06:24
Mike,

As of SC 7.3 sox is used as default for playing flac files, we can not get cue/flac file to play on SlimNas.

See thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=60810&highlight=cue+flac&page=2

So if you happen to be completely bored and don't know what to do, could you try to compile a sox for us, so that we can play cue/flac files.

My archive happens to be 95% cue/flac :-|

Thanks.

I found a Temporary Solution
modify the file
%slimnasdir%/squeezecenter/convert.conf

and comment out with a "#" the lines below which are at the bottom of the file

#flc flc transcode *
# # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
# [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -

This will allow the play of your cue flac albums, but it will fail if there is any flac with weird sampling rate like 192khz. However, for most of our files it should work.

gharris999
2009-08-22, 09:02
Here is another potential work-around that you could try. This involves eliminating sox and uses just a single instance of the flac executable for flac files with embedded cuesheets.

custom-convert.conf

flc flc transcode *
# FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
[flac] -c --totally-silent --compression-level-0 $START$ $END$ $FILE$

Place this custom-convert.conf file in the same folder as convert.conf. Disclaimer: this is what I use on my Fedora boxes. I haven't tested it with FreeNAS. But it might work. Also: this won't work for those rare flac files which have (non standard) ID3v2 tags.