PDA

View Full Version : Reproducible problem

GlennBooth
2009-01-18, 13:51
Hi All,

I'm wrestling with a reproducible problem on my SB2 - so far I haven't seen the same issue on my SB3. If I browse my collection like this:

Music Library > Artists > James Blunt

Then scroll down to "All tracks", hit play, then hit the >> (fast forward/skip) button on the remote, the Squeezebox gets totally borked! The screen corrupts, audio output ceases completely, and I can't get it to respond to anything from the remote unless I yank the power cord and restart the unit (going through the network setup each time). When the screen corrupts, it looks like there is some text displayed in the background - I think it refers to being out of decoder memory, but it's very difficult to read.

I've seen this happen a dozen or so times, while playing a number of different artists music, but I can't confirm if it happens with the entire collection as I don't have the time to keep restarting the thing.

Searching the forums showed a number of posts that described screen corruption, but I didn't see any that matched this issue. Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

For reference, I'm running on Squeezecenter 7.3.1, with firmware 121. O/S is Ubuntu 6.06 (if it ain't broke, don't fix it - uptime is now 504 days!).

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions on where to look for this problem.

Many thanks,

Glenn.

GlennBooth
2009-01-18, 13:57
I lied. :-/

It happens on the SB3 as well, and the message I get is "Out of decoder data memory". I'm starting to wonder if it might be a lack of available RAM on the server. Maybe that 500 day uptime ain't such a wonderful thing after all!

Thanks,
Glenn.

dsdreamer
2009-01-18, 14:15
I lied. :-/

It happens on the SB3 as well, and the message I get is "Out of decoder data memory". I'm starting to wonder if it might be a lack of available RAM on the server.
Glenn.

Is is very unlikely the decoder memory referred to is that on your server, but I've seen this message playing an incompatible ogg vorbis file/stream. Please check the file type and report back. Thanks!

--dsdreamer.

GlennBooth
2009-01-19, 10:53
Please check the file type and report back. Thanks!

--dsdreamer.

I reckon that you're on the money - most of my collection is in Ogg containers. I encode using a number of different machines (as well as having some downloads that I got in Ogg format) so it's possible that one of them is producing dodgy encodings. Thanks very much for the hint!

I don't know of any way to check an ogg file to see if it's valid, but if anyone knows of a utility (Windows or Linux, I'm not proud) that can test if an ogg file is valid, I'd love to hear about it.

I've used a bunch of different versions of 'oggenc' over the years including aoTuV builds, so I suspect it could be a nightmare finding out which one gave the bad encodes :-(

Thanks again for the help,

Glenn.

dcote
2009-01-20, 07:33
hi!

you may want to check out these vorbis bugs:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7857
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4418

sounds as if you (too) may be suffering from at least one of them.

btw - i also tried various vorbis encoders. the only one that reliably caused problems with SB/SC was GTune3b1 with option "rehuff" enabled. since then i have settled on GTune3b2 @ -q6, because i find it sounds best (even better than aoTuVbx). that works for _all_ songs (i have about 4500 oggs), as long as i dont use the large spectrum analyzer viz. it seems to use too many cpu cycles and can cause choking/rebuffering on high bitrate passages. GTune3b2 lets bitrates soar to 500+ kbit on some tracks! so i use the analog VU meter instead: gravy! :-)