PDA

View Full Version : Wired in a wireless world

xjetera
2009-01-17, 19:38
For reasons that would drive me insane to describe again, I simply want to "wire" my Squeezebox, even though there is a wireless network available. ie, my router is a wireless router but, of course, you can wire in devices (like PCs and Squeezeboxes).
When I read the definition of "hybrid" and "bridged", I'm not clear on if I can do what I want to do. So, I tried it, with no luck. Perhaps I'm an idiot, but all I did was run a LAN cable from the SB to the router and expected joy (which I didn't get).

My question; what, exactly, do I need to do to wire the SB given my wired/wireless router? Please use small words, I'm clearly not gifted.

andyg
2009-01-17, 19:43
What you did is fine, but you need to go back to the Setup Networking menu item to enable wired. Hold left on the remote to get back to the setup menu.

MeSue
2009-01-17, 20:38
What you did is fine, but you need to go back to the Setup Networking menu item to enable wired. Hold left on the remote to get back to the setup menu.

OP doesn't say which SB he has, but don't you need to do a factory reset if it's a Duet?

xjetera
2009-01-18, 07:30
Thank you so much for the replies. When it all started to go wrong (right away) I figured I was on my own and hopeless.

So I tried the Factory Reset, but I still don't know how to tell it to go wired and ignore the crappy wireless connections that are swarming all around it.

It is a Duet.

Jonnio
2009-01-18, 07:47
Thank you so much for the replies. When it all started to go wrong (right away) I figured I was on my own and hopeless.

So I tried the Factory Reset, but I still don't know how to tell it to go wired and ignore the crappy wireless connections that are swarming all around it.

It is a Duet.

You need to hold the front button until it flashes, then go to your controller and select the player based on player id to redo the initial setup. It should give you the option of wired if the wire is plugged in and working.

chenrikson
2009-01-18, 08:35
Reset the receiver to begin setup (Flashing red). Then do a "Factory Reset" (or default on the Controller. That will get you going - then follow the instructions being sure to enter the correct WEP code if necessary. Keep the controller close to the router as you do this. The controller may want to do a software update -- let it. Also be sure to download the latest version of Squeezecenter. There are more detailed instructions in the expanded manual on the Logitech site.

xjetera
2009-01-19, 10:12
Ya, so, I'm an idiot.
The reason my 'wired' idea wasn't working was because the LAN cable was compromised. It never occurred to me that was the issue, as the cable worked previously. I guess I damaged it whilst wiring the system (fishing it through the wall).

After a lot of screaming "WTF!", I finally swapped the cables and got 'er going. Many thanks for your guidance. My music is now free.

I have a few follow-up questions.
Being wired now, am I limiting myself from capabilities of the Squeezebox? Are there things it can't/won't do wired that it would wireless? I gotta say I'm a big fan of it wired (it's much quicker to call up songs).

Second, as a nerd, I spent a considerable portion of my life renaming my music files so they fit with my "naming convention" and I can find everything on my PC. However, this was just naming the actual files. The SB, and most devices, use the Tags. And, of course, the tags are a mess as I never paid any attention to them. Is there any program that can make use of my hours of file renaming, and insert that informtion into the tags? ie, I'm looking for a program that will batch replace/overwrite the current Tags with the information in the Windows files names.

I thank all those that replied and tried to help me out. That was really cool of you.

MeSue
2009-01-19, 10:29
Is there any program that can make use of my hours of file renaming, and insert that informtion into the tags? ie, I'm looking for a program that will batch replace/overwrite the current Tags with the information in the Windows files names.

Most taggers can do that. A popular one mentioned here a lot is mp3tag, and it's free.

JadeMonkee
2009-01-22, 23:05
Or The Godfather (it's what I use for renaming of files from tags or retagging of files from names).
Development has slowed down (stoppped?) but the product works great.
I haven't used mp3tag to create tags from fielnames (but I do use it to insert the obscure tags such as ALBUMARTIST and COMPILATION that EAC doesn't).

aubuti
2009-01-23, 09:52
I have a few follow-up questions.
Being wired now, am I limiting myself from capabilities of the Squeezebox? Are there things it can't/won't do wired that it would wireless? I gotta say I'm a big fan of it wired (it's much quicker to call up songs).

Second, as a nerd, I spent a considerable portion of my life renaming my music files so they fit with my "naming convention" and I can find everything on my PC. However, this was just naming the actual files. The SB, and most devices, use the Tags. And, of course, the tags are a mess as I never paid any attention to them. Is there any program that can make use of my hours of file renaming, and insert that informtion into the tags? ie, I'm looking for a program that will batch replace/overwrite the current Tags with the information in the Windows files names.

I thank all those that replied and tried to help me out. That was really cool of you.
1) I can't think of anything you're missing out on by using wired instead of wireless

2) mp3tag is great for doing that sort of conversion. It's probably best to clear all the existing tags first, and then use the folder/directory and filename info to write the tags. It's also a good idea to experiment on a small subset of your library before unleashing mp3tag on the whole thing. Finally, keep in mind that you might want to treat "various artists" albums differently, although that depends entirely on how you set up those filenames compared to standard albums.

xjetera
2009-02-04, 09:18
Greetings,
Ya, me again. So I did as was advised above and I was rockin'. Then I swapped the router out for another one (again it's wired), and now I've got a yellow light on my Duet and no music/connection. What did I forget to do? I didn't expect the router to have much to do with it, it's not like ports needed forwarding or anything. Is there a reason a straight router swap screwed me?

My unlimited love to all those with insight,

TheLastMan
2009-02-04, 13:54
Greetings,
Ya, me again. So I did as was advised above and I was rockin'. Then I swapped the router out for another one (again it's wired), and now I've got a yellow light on my Duet and no music/connection. What did I forget to do? I didn't expect the router to have much to do with it, it's not like ports needed forwarding or anything. Is there a reason a straight router swap screwed me?

My unlimited love to all those with insight,

Power down all your squeezebox stuff then turn it all back on again.

In particular, turn off the router and shut down the PC, Mac or NAS that is running SqueezeCentre. Then turn off both the Receiver (turn off the power supply) and the Controller (press and hold the "home" key).

Turn on the router and make sure it is showing all the right indicator lights.
When you are sure that is fully up turn on the PC / Mac / NAS. When it has booted up make sure that SqueezeCenter is running.

When that is fully up and running power up the receiver again. Wait until you get a white light which indicates it has found the SqueezeCenter. Finally turn on the Controller again.

This process will allow the router to detect the three network devices and allocate an appropriate IP address using its DHCP function.

Routers often work within different IP ranges. My Netgear used;
192.168.0.001 to 192.168.0.255

but my new Speedtouch uses;
192.168.1.001 to 192.168.1.255

So an IP address that was valid on the first router would not have been on the second. You could be seeing a similar thing and you need to make sure that each device has been allocated a new IP address by the router.

Just a guess!

snarlydwarf
2009-02-04, 15:30
So an IP address that was valid on the first router would not have been on the second. You could be seeing a similar thing and you need to make sure that each device has been allocated a new IP address by the router.

Just a guess!

And routers are notoriously stupid in their DHCP implementation.

A decent DHCP server will try to ping an IP number before handing it out.

Consumer routers, however, usually don't bother: they believe they are in ultimate control of all numbering and hand out the next IP, even if there is a machine on it. (Left over from a prior router issuing it, or even more pathetic because most consumer grade routers don't bother saving their lease table in non volatile memory, so if they reboot, they will gladly renumber their network... annoying it you trip a circuit breaker, so your router and a couple devices reboot.. and the router decides your SB can use the IP number of your battery-powered laptop it forgot about.)

So, yeah, repower/reboot everything is a good idea even though it's a stupid requirement.

TheLastMan
2009-02-04, 15:38
And routers are notoriously stupid in their DHCP implementation.

A decent DHCP server will try to ping an IP number before handing it out.

Just out of interest, can you recommend any routers that do this properly?
Or if not, the best DHCP implementation you have seen in a consumer oriented router?

The one in my Thomson Speedtouch 585v7 (free from my ISP) is just plain dreadful in every way.

Thanks.

Jonnio
2009-02-07, 07:40
Matt, a good way to get around this is to enable static DHCP leases for your squeezebox stuff.

My servers, xboxes, and all SB stuff has a set IP that the DHCP server gives it based on their MAC address. It is only my laptop and any guests that use the DHCP to dynamically get their address. This also has the added benefit of being able to more easily ping/ssh into stuff and port forward correctly.