PDA

View Full Version : It's arrived!



Lars Kellogg-Stedman
2004-04-29, 11:19
So, my Squeezebox arrived yesterday, and setup was virtually flawless. I
was only somewhat startled to find that the IP restrictions for the web
interface also affect the Squeezebox protocol. Other than that, up and
running in no time. It took me a little time to figure out how to use the
squeezebox.versions file to force the firmware upgrade past v10 (necessay
to get my Sony RM-VL900 working correctly). Is this procedure documented
anywhere?

The display really is far too tiny; the "small" display mode is in fact
completely useless to me -- I can't read a thing from across the room.
Thank goodness for the "large" display mode!

I notice that the Slimserver software is apparently unable to read ID3
information from AAC (.m4a) audio files...is that the case? Also, what's
the word on support for the new iTunes 4.5 protocol?

Cheers,

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars (AT) oddbit (DOT) com>

dean
2004-04-29, 12:16
Hi Lars,

On Apr 29, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> So, my Squeezebox arrived yesterday, and setup was virtually flawless.
> I
> was only somewhat startled to find that the IP restrictions for the web
> interface also affect the Squeezebox protocol. Other than that, up and
> running in no time. It took me a little time to figure out how to use
> the
> squeezebox.versions file to force the firmware upgrade past v10
> (necessay
> to get my Sony RM-VL900 working correctly). Is this procedure
> documented
> anywhere?
Only on this list. The version 21 firmware is still pre-release, so
the default installation still updates you to 10.

> The display really is far too tiny; the "small" display mode is in fact
> completely useless to me -- I can't read a thing from across the room.
> Thank goodness for the "large" display mode!
Indeed.

> I notice that the Slimserver software is apparently unable to read ID3
> information from AAC (.m4a) audio files...is that the case?
Actually, SlimServer should be able to access the iTunes tags in .m4a
files. Is it not working for you?


> Also, what's
> the word on support for the new iTunes 4.5 protocol?
iTunes 4.5 seems to work fine. Apple's new lossless compression format
works fine on Mac, the latest nightly-prerelease has a fix to make it
work on Windows as well.

Apple apparently patched the hole that was allowing some third-party
programs to play back protected AAC files, so that capability is gone.

-dean

michael
2004-04-29, 12:53
dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> writes:
....
> Apple apparently patched the hole that was allowing some third-party
> programs to play back protected AAC files, so that capability is gone.
....

at least it was for about 24 hours. Apparently, an update makes this
once again possible. (An update to the third-party programs that is,
not an apple update.)

I don't have any acc files myself (or any system capable of running
itunes for that matter) so I'm relying on hearsay a bit
here. (specifically, http://craz.net/programs/itunes/ )
But I thought some folks might want to know.

-michael
--
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism
by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw

dean
2004-04-29, 14:42
On Apr 29, 2004, at 12:53 PM, michael wrote:

> dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> writes:
> ...
>> Apple apparently patched the hole that was allowing some third-party
>> programs to play back protected AAC files, so that capability is gone.
> ...
>
> at least it was for about 24 hours. Apparently, an update makes this
> once again possible. (An update to the third-party programs that is,
> not an apple update.)
>
> I don't have any acc files myself (or any system capable of running
> itunes for that matter) so I'm relying on hearsay a bit
> here. (specifically, http://craz.net/programs/itunes/ )
> But I thought some folks might want to know.

That software allows third-party programs to use the iTunes Music
Sharing capability, but doesn't necessarily provide access to protected
AAC files.

-dean

michael
2004-04-29, 16:15
dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> writes:
....
>>> Apple apparently patched the hole that was allowing some third-party
>>> programs to play back protected AAC files, so that capability is gone.
>> ...
>>
>> at least it was for about 24 hours. Apparently, an update makes this
>> once again possible. (An update to the third-party programs that is,
>> not an apple update.)
>>
>> I don't have any acc files myself (or any system capable of running
>> itunes for that matter) so I'm relying on hearsay a bit
>> here. (specifically, http://craz.net/programs/itunes/ )
>> But I thought some folks might want to know.
>
> That software allows third-party programs to use the iTunes Music
> Sharing capability, but doesn't necessarily provide access to
> protected AAC files.

ahh. my mistake.
I'd thought the tricky part about protected AAC files was getting the
third party program past the itunes authentication, (I know that both
"playfair" and "DeDRM" required you to authenticate your aac in itunes
first) and since this addresses the new itunes authentication...
I guess not running the software myself I don't quite grok the subtle
differences between authenticating itunes, itunes shares, itms, and
aac.

sorry if I confused anyone else.

-michael
--
"What are we doing tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

Lars Kellogg-Stedman
2004-04-29, 16:42
>> I notice that the Slimserver software is apparently unable to read ID3
>> information from AAC (.m4a) audio files...is that the case?
> Actually, SlimServer should be able to access the iTunes tags in .m4a
> files. Is it not working for you?

Out of approximately 1062 AAC files, almost all of them show up in the
'No Genre' category in the Slimserver UI. They have valid genre
information when viewed in iTunes.

The artist and album tags appear to be read correctly.

> iTunes 4.5 seems to work fine.

Speaking of iTunes, I've run into some interesting problems since
switching to iTunes mode:

(1) Slimserver has a really hard time counting the number of songs
available when in iTunes mode. For example, looking at the actual
filesystem:

$ find iTunes\ Music -type f -print | wc -l
6471

And after letting slimserver finish starting up:

Your music collection is composed of 12636 songs by 804 artists

iTunes itself reports 6348 songs.

(2) While browsing the 'No Genre' category, slimserver crashed. The
last item in /tmp/slimserver.log is:

Modification of non-creatable array value attempted, subscript -57 at
Slim/Web/Olson.pm line 135.

At the same time, slimserver is reporting, right now, that there are
over 6,000 songs in the 'No Genre' category.

(3) The log is filling up with the following error:

Use of uninitialized value in multiplication (*)
at Slim/Formats/Movie.pm line 54.

But this looks like a known one, since the source line is marked "fix
this!".

Lars Kellogg-Stedman
2004-04-29, 16:47
> Speaking of iTunes, I've run into some interesting problems since
> switching to iTunes mode:

And also, it turns out:

(4) Any attempt to play a song results in the dreaded "Problem: Can't
open file for: ..." message.

I'll take a look at the d_itunes output later tonight (or possibly this
weekend); maybe the iTunes library --> filesystem mapping isn't working
correctly.

Incidentally, error message, in "big" display mode, don't scroll, which
makes them hard to read (leading to the somewhat ironic message,
"PROBLEM: CAN'T C").

-- Lars

Lars Kellogg-Stedman
2004-04-29, 19:56
On Apr 29, 2004, at 7:47 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> I'll take a look at the d_itunes output later tonight (or possibly
> this weekend); maybe the iTunes library --> filesystem mapping isn't
> working correctly.

Bingo.

/house/media/Music/iTunes is the iTunes folder, so the directory
structure looks something like:

/house/media/Music/iTunes/
iTunes 4 Music Library
iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Music/
Artist/

And audiodir = /house/media/Music/iTunes

Here's a log excerpt. Watch what the path transformation does:

2004-04-29 22:41:02.5335 extracted: /Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes
Music/Thelonious Monk/Greatest Hits/05 Epistrophy.mp3 from
file://localhost/Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/
Thelonious%20Monk/Greatest%20Hits/05%20Epistrophy.mp3

2004-04-29 22:41:02.5349 Correcting for Linux:
file://localhost/Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/ to
/house/media/Music/iTunes/Thelonious%20Monk/Greatest%20Hits/
05%20Epistrophy.mp3

The problem appears to be that the section of code that translates the
file: URL into an actual filesystem path needs to know *where* the
'iTunes Music Library.xml' file was found. Setting audiodir to
/house/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music would make the translation
correct...but then slimserver would never find the XML file, because it
would be in the parent of audiodir.

A quick solution would be to introduce an itunes_base configuration
variable, and use that instead of audiodir when making this change. A
better solution would be to figure out the correct translation given
the location of the library.

-- Lars