PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality: Duet Receiver vs SB3?

twynne
2009-01-15, 14:01
I've just ordered a new Duet, and just wondered (as the Duet is clearly a newer product) is there any difference in audio quality between that output by the Duet as compared to the SB3? Are the components in one any better than the other? Any subjective opinions??

As the types of outputs remain the same, I don't see one having an advantage over the other in the area of connectivity. Is there any other advantage of the Duet Receiver?

Thanks,

Tom

Phil Leigh
2009-01-15, 14:04
Sound quality pretty much identical according to all reports. Receiver MIGHT have slightly less noise (no VFD display) but this will be extremely marginal at best.

twynne
2009-01-15, 14:38
Thanks for the reply.

I'm considering selling either one of the SB3's or the Receiver only (keeping the Controller). Long story.

I'm looking for compelling reasons to keep one or the other. At the moment I can only come up with the fact that the Receiver is wireless (my SB3 is wired).

twynne
2009-01-15, 14:52
Actually I may have just stumbled on the deciding factor - the SB3 has an infrared receiver, so can be controlled by my existing universal remote. Presumably the Duet Receiver does not? I certainly don't see it mentioned in the specs...

snarlydwarf
2009-01-15, 15:00
Actually I may have just stumbled on the deciding factor - the SB3 has an infrared receiver, so can be controlled by my existing universal remote. Presumably the Duet Receiver does not? I certainly don't see it mentioned in the specs...

No, it does not, since the only really useful thing you could use it for would be pause (or on/off) and volume. Without a display, navigation would be blind ("if I hit down three times, then I am at the album I want") and painful.

Personally, I would keep both units.

Use the SB3 where you want to see the display (perhaps a bedroom, it makes a nifty alarm clock) and the Duet where you didn't need to see the display.

At least try it with a couple units for a while: the SB client-server model really shows its stuff with multiple units.

twynne
2009-01-15, 15:07
Lol - thanks, but I haven't given all of the details. :-)

I already have 2 SB3's and 2 Booms - in a 1 bedroom flat! The Booms are both actively used pretty much daily, and the SB3's a bit less. I was considering replacing one of the SB3's with the Duet.

The infrared issue comes in that I use a Harmony Remote to control the systems in each room, and it 'unifies' all of the components. If I swap to the Duet I won't be able to control it at all without picking up the Controller.

snarlydwarf
2009-01-15, 15:25
Lol - thanks, but I haven't given all of the details. :-)

I already have 2 SB3's and 2 Booms - in a 1 bedroom flat! The Booms are both actively used pretty much daily, and the SB3's a bit less. I was considering replacing one of the SB3's with the Duet.

Oh, my, and I thought I was overdoing it. :P

The infrared issue comes in that I use a Harmony Remote to control the systems in each room, and it 'unifies' all of the components. If I swap to the Duet I won't be able to control it at all without picking up the Controller.

Ah, my Harmony never got that much use.. stupid TV really doesn't like it. (It is VERY picky about pauses between changing input sources... too short and it ignores it, too long and it is busy trying to lock onto a blank input and ignores it... I blame the TV since it also does dumb things with HDMI sound, and despite having an optical out it won't send the HDMI audio to my receiver except from the DTV input which is useless since I use Composite for cable and HDMI for DVD...)

peter
2009-01-16, 23:41
snarlydwarf wrote:
> Ah, my Harmony never got that much use.. stupid TV really doesn't like
> it. (It is VERY picky about pauses between changing input sources...
> too short and it ignores it, too long and it is busy trying to lock
> onto a blank input and ignores it... I blame the TV since it also does
> dumb things with HDMI sound, and despite having an optical out it won't
> send the HDMI audio to my receiver except from the DTV input which is
> useless since I use Composite for cable and HDMI for DVD...)
>

What brand is that TV? (so I can steer away from it in the store)

Regards,
Peter

RolandG
2009-01-20, 18:48
I've just ordered a new Duet, and just wondered (as the Duet is clearly a newer product) is there any difference in audio quality between that output by the Duet as compared to the SB3? Are the components in one any better than the other? Any subjective opinions??I read in a review that they have different DACs. IIRC the audiophile journalist ran comparative tests, using borrowed equipment, and decided that the Duet was microscopically clearer than the SB3. Then he admitted that he wouldn't be able to hear the difference on his home system.

Unfortunately I can't where I read it

Kvaks
2009-01-23, 15:48
Let me be the skeptic who calls bullshit on that. I'll bet my house that there's no discernible difference at all.