PDA

View Full Version : SBC range??

afterglow
2009-01-14, 23:36
My current whole-house audio system consists of some in-ceiling speakers in the downstairs living room, dining room and den homerun to an upstairs closet where the amp resides (this was state of the art in the late 90s). The source is a 300-disc CD changer and an iPod in the HT.

I'm thinking of updating it by adding a Duet and the logical place to keep the SBR would be in the same upstairs closet where the amp is. I'm wondering if the Controller will be able to control the Receiver in the upstairs closet?? In other words, does the Controller need to be in range of the Receiver's antenna or is it enough that both of them are accessible to the network??

iPhone
2009-01-15, 00:43
My current whole-house audio system consists of some in-ceiling speakers in the downstairs living room, dining room and den homerun to an upstairs closet where the amp resides (this was state of the art in the late 90s). The source is a 300-disc CD changer and an iPod in the HT.

I'm thinking of updating it by adding a Duet and the logical place to keep the SBR would be in the same upstairs closet where the amp is. I'm wondering if the Controller will be able to control the Receiver in the upstairs closet??
That is where I would put it if you want it to feed the amp that feeds the speakers.

In other words, does the Controller need to be in range of the Receiver's antenna or is it enough that both of them are accessible to the network??
There are several ways to setup a Duet. The main way is by letting both the SBR and SBC use your WLAN. The Receiver's antenna is used for WiFi in most setups. The Receiver is not named a Receiver because it "talks" or needs to be in range of the Controller. Its called a Receiver because it "Receives" the music files that you want sent to your Amp either by Ethernet or your home WIFI network. The Controller works with any late model Squeezebox product (I think everything but the SLIM3, not sure) even without an SBR (Receiver).

So as long as you have good WLAN coverage in your home (both upstairs where the SBR will be and where you want to use the Controller) then the Duet should work just fine. The range is depend on the coverage and signal quality of your WiFi Network.