PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to Squeezecenter; please Help

marklings
2009-01-12, 11:50
This is driving me seriously nuts; any help will be appreciated

I have win xp running the latest Squeezecenter
Squeezebox Classic
Connected either wirelessly, over a wireless router or wired over a D-Link hub and then into the modem

No firewall installed

I connect to Squeezenetwork perfectly fine, every time, no problem at all. My Gateway address is 21.28.129.1 and my server adress (DHCP given) is 28.21.129.81.

The SB is normally given by DHCP 21.28.129.83. I can change it to any other 21.28.129.x and I get the very same results. Squeezenetwork is perfectly fine

BUT . . .

Whenever I try and connect to Squeezecenter I am allowed in the first time and then no more. I listen to a track and when I go try something else I can't connect anymore. Actually SB hangs (left to try again . . .).

Seems like a network issue. Most strange symptom: I keep on listening to Squeeze network. I ping 21.28.129.83 OK the first time and then no more; in the meantime Squeezenet keeps playing happily.

I am totally stuck; I can't make any sense of this nor I know what else to try. Any help is deeply appreciated.

hellesangel
2009-01-13, 01:42
I can't help you directly but here are some other things to try and questions that may help debugging:
To be sure of your setup: You have the squeezebox wired to the router, it receives an IP address from DHCP and can connect to Squeezenetwork fine and happily play music stored on the server? The server is on the same network and receives its IP address from the same DHCP server? The server can ping the player? You are not listening to internet radio (this can sometimes cause the SB to unresponsive for a while).

First things first, do a factory reset of the squeezebox (pull the power out, hold down the + key on the remote and put the power back) as there are some issues with networking parameters not being updated correctly. Reset the network parameters after the reset and connect to your squeezecenter.

Is the web interface to the Squeezecenter still responding? If so the center is still running.
Start a softsqueeze on your PC and see if that works OK.
Look in the logs (server settings, logging) and see if there is anything odd looking.

A desperation move is to give everything static IP addresses (outside the range used by DHCP!) and try that, but save that for later...

marklings
2009-01-13, 04:01
I can't help you directly but here are some other things to try and questions that may help debugging:
To be sure of your setup: You have the squeezebox wired to the router, it receives an IP address from DHCP and can connect to Squeezenetwork fine and happily play music stored on the server? The server is on the same network and receives its IP address from the same DHCP server? The server can ping the player?

The server pngs the player ONCE !!! Just once and no more till you restart

You are not listening to internet radio (this can sometimes cause the SB to unresponsive for a while).

Internet radio is OK.

First things first, do a factory reset of the squeezebox (pull the power out, hold down the + key on the remote and put the power back) as there are some issues with networking parameters not being updated correctly.

Already tried, but thanks

Reset the network parameters after the reset and connect to your squeezecenter.

Is the web interface to the Squeezecenter still responding? If so the center is still running.
Start a softsqueeze on your PC and see if that works OK.

Tried. Softsqueeze is OK

Look in the logs (server settings, logging) and see if there is anything odd looking.

Not really Just says can't connect

A desperation move is to give everything static IP addresses (outside the range used by DHCP!) and try that, but save that for later...

I'll try that

hellesangel
2009-01-13, 05:21
To avoid confusion leave the SB connected only to the server, not to Squeezenetwork. So you can listen to internet radio stations with the SB connected to the Squeezecenter but not local audio files stored on the server's disk? That's very odd, and does sound like local network problems and then suspicion must fall more on your router than the SB - when connected to the Squeezenetwork the SB needs only a decent internet connection, when connected to the Squeezecenter it needs a local network connection, and an internet connection.

You say only the first ping from server to player works, then the player is unresponsive to the remote and to further pings? If softsqueeze works on the server then the Squeezecenter is OK, can you try softsqueeze on another computer in your network? That would test almost everything other than the SB, as you state it sounds like your SB has a dodgy connection to your network.

marklings
2009-01-14, 12:29
To avoid confusion leave the SB connected only to the server, not to Squeezenetwork. So you can listen to internet radio stations with the SB connected to the Squeezecenter but not local audio files stored on the server's disk? That's very odd, and does sound like local network problems and then suspicion must fall more on your router than the SB - when connected to the Squeezenetwork the SB needs only a decent internet connection, when connected to the Squeezecenter it needs a local network connection, and an internet connection.

You say only the first ping from server to player works, then the player is unresponsive to the remote and to further pings? If softsqueeze works on the server then the Squeezecenter is OK, can you try softsqueeze on another computer in your network? That would test almost everything other than the SB, as you state it sounds like your SB has a dodgy connection to your network.

Thanks again for your help. This is becoming weirder and weirder
Softsqueeze is OK
Tried with installing another SoftCenter on a laptop. Same results.

NOW . .

I have been given advive to try and clean the MAC address via the arp command.
Done that.
The server notes a different MAC address now when you arp -a the SB IP

Now it gets really weird

If I leave the MAC address to the original one (00 04 20 12 58 71) I listen to Squeezenetwork and not top Squeezecenter

If I change the MAC address to what the server seem to like (00 00 0c 07 ac 04) I connect to Squeezecenter but no more to SQ network !!!

Under no circumstance I can switch from SQ net to SQ Center. It's either the one or the other depending on what MAC address I use.

It seems like I can either comnnect to the Internet or to the server, but I cannot switch from one to the other. Very Very Very weird. MY ISP is Fastweb in Italy and has been know to have idiosyncracuies of sorts. In practice all of the Fastweb subscriber kind of belong to the same LAN (or MEtro WAN or whatever)

Thanks to anyone whoi eill have the patience to read through this

Mark

marklings
2009-01-14, 15:04
Thanks again for your help. This is becoming weirder and weirder
Softsqueeze is OK
Tried with installing another SoftCenter on a laptop. Same results.

NOW . .

I have been given advive to try and clean the MAC address via the arp command.
Done that.
The server notes a different MAC address now when you arp -a the SB IP

Now it gets really weird

If I leave the MAC address to the original one (00 04 20 12 58 71) I listen to Squeezenetwork and not top Squeezecenter

If I change the MAC address to what the server seem to like (00 00 0c 07 ac 04) I connect to Squeezecenter but no more to SQ network !!!

Under no circumstance I can switch from SQ net to SQ Center. It's either the one or the other depending on what MAC address I use.

It seems like I can either comnnect to the Internet or to the server, but I cannot switch from one to the other. Very Very Very weird. MY ISP is Fastweb in Italy and has been know to have idiosyncracuies of sorts. In practice all of the Fastweb subscriber kind of belong to the same LAN (or MEtro WAN or whatever)

Thanks to anyone whoi eill have the patience to read through this

Mark

By going through a router as opposed to a switch this was solved
Apparently the culprit was my ISP
Thanks to all that contributed