PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Custom Track Info using CustomBrowse

dip
2009-01-11, 17:01
I want to create a track info page (the info shown on the player when clicking on RIGHT on the remote) which is identical to the standard info page but has one additional item (the GROUPING tag which I use for classical music to store the work name (German: "Werk")).

I was already successful in creating with CustomBrowse a header/footer menu of the type "Slimserver song information" which results in a menu item in the track info page which leads to the standard info page when pressing RIGHT. I was also able to create a single menu item showing the GROUPING tag. That means the resulting structure looks at the moment like that:

track -> Werk: Symphonie No. 5
standard song info -> Artist: Leonard Bernstein
Composer: Beethoven, Ludwig van
Album: .....
But what I would like to have is

current track -> Werk: Symphonie No. 5
Artist: Leonard Bernstein
Composer: Beethoven, Ludwig van
Album: .....
that means "moving" the "Slimserver song information" page one level up. Is that possible (maybe by putting something in the "Menu group" field of the definition form of the menu)?

It seems to me that I could create the whole standard song info structure with CustomBrowse but first this is a lot of effort since all entries must be defined eplicitely. Second I would like to use the standard menu since only in this way changes or additions in the standard menu will be automatically have effect in my menu structure (for example the addition of lastfm or musicip items during one of the last versions of SqueezeCenter).

Further, I want to have German labels, so I had to define for all menu entries new menus since the original CustomBrowse menus are all using English labels (like Artist:... instead of Interpret:...). In the song detail menu it seems even not to be possible to change the English default names.

I hope from the description the problem is clear. And of course, that should work when displaying track details from the current track in the now playing screen in the same way as during browsing. And I'm only talking about the track detail on the player when pressing RIGHT on the remote. I don't care about the menus in the web interface since I don't use it (if this makes thing easier).

erland
2009-01-11, 22:06
It seems to me that I could create the whole standard song info structure with CustomBrowse but first this is a lot of effort since all entries must be defined eplicitely. Second I would like to use the standard menu since only in this way changes or additions in the standard menu will be automatically have effect in my menu structure (for example the addition of lastfm or musicip items during one of the last versions of SqueezeCenter).

In the current version you will need to redefine all entries in Custom Browse.

The correct way to solve this would be if I enhanced Custom Browse so it could add entries to the standard track details menu instead of replacing it. I haven't done it so far because it seemed to be too much work, but I could take a look again.

Further, I want to have German labels, so I had to define for all menu entries new menus since the original CustomBrowse menus are all using English labels (like Artist:... instead of Interpret:...). In the song detail menu it seems even not to be possible to change the English default names.

At the moment you will have to select to customize menu and edit the XML manually to change these labels. I think the hard coded text mostly are on menus that already is part of the standard SqueezeCenter song info menu, so if I solve the issue mentioned above it should make this less of problem ?

dip
2009-01-12, 02:46
In the current version you will need to redefine all entries in Custom Browse.

The correct way to solve this would be if I enhanced Custom Browse so it could add entries to the standard track details menu instead of replacing it. I haven't done it so far because it seemed to be too much work, but I could take a look again.That would be great, since this would be indeed the correct way.

If this is too much effort, would it be an easier and quicker solution to directly include the second level of the standard SqueezeCenter song info menu into the CustomBrowse track info menu or is that not possible? At the end this would result in the same as the correct solution, having the standard song info items on the same level as the additional items from CustomBrowse (like GROUPING).

At the moment you will have to select to customize menu and edit the XML manually to change these labels. I think the hard coded text mostly are on menus that already is part of the standard SqueezeCenter song info menu, so if I solve the issue mentioned above it should make this less of problem ?That's right, if the standard SqueezeCenter song info menu can be used there is no need for the song details menu.

erland
2009-01-12, 10:32
If this is too much effort, would it be an easier and quicker solution to directly include the second level of the standard SqueezeCenter song info menu into the CustomBrowse track info menu or is that not possible?

It's not possible without modifying the SqueezeCenter code.

dip
2009-01-12, 10:38
It's not possible without modifying the SqueezeCenter code.Ok, then I will wait if adding menu items to the standard menu will be possible in a future version of your great plugin.

Thanks for your efforts.