PDA

View Full Version : FM station internet feed help

discgo
2009-01-11, 09:27
Finally got most of the bugs worked out of my Ubuntu/SC box. One problem has been plaguing me since I first set up by Duet last summer.

I listen to 91.9 WNRN out of Charlottesville, VA (great station, btw!) a lot. I've tried listen to it in SC via RadioTime & directly via url. Nothing works. They are several posts on other forums with a similar issue with Sonos.

After searching numerous forums I've tried the following urls:
http://www.wnrn.org/music/wnrn.asx
mms://audio.musictoday.com:1755/wnrn
mms://audio.musictoday.com/wnrn

I can listen to the stream fine via their website (www.wnrn.org) and with the asx stream in RhythmBox. I can't get it to work on RadioTime's website.

This is my main FM radio station and it's killing me that I can't feed this through my squeezebox. I'm about to bring out a 20 year old receiver and put it next to my SB just for this capability. I'm not opposed to getting an FM tuner card if I can somehow feed that into the SB. I'm local to the station so that's an option if this can't be done over the internet.

Any clue on how to get this to work?

enjoy the music!
discgo

toby10
2009-01-11, 10:07
Finally got most of the bugs worked out of my Ubuntu/SC box. One problem has been plaguing me since I first set up by Duet last summer.

I listen to 91.9 WNRN out of Charlottesville, VA (great station, btw!) a lot. I've tried listen to it in SC via RadioTime & directly via url. Nothing works. They are several posts on other forums with a similar issue with Sonos.

After searching numerous forums I've tried the following urls:
http://www.wnrn.org/music/wnrn.asx
mms://audio.musictoday.com:1755/wnrn

I can listen to the stream fine via their website (www.wnrn.org) and with the asx stream in RhythmBox. I can't get it to work on RadioTime's website.

This is my main FM radio station and it's killing me that I can't feed this through my squeezebox. I'm about to bring out a 20 year old receiver and put it next to my SB just for this capability. I'm not opposed to getting an FM tuner card if I can somehow feed that into the SB. I'm local to the station so that's an option if this can't be done over the internet.

Any clue on how to get this to work?

enjoy the music!
discgo

Yeah, it won't play via SC7 search. Only thing I can suggest is:
- try SN
- email RadioTime of a bad link
- email the station directly, they may give you a direct URL to stream

Goodsounds
2009-01-11, 10:11
Did you try SqueezeNetwork? World Radio- etc.

(Edit) Sorry for redundant post, stepped away.

discgo
2009-01-11, 10:35
just tried SN, nothing....every other radio station I tried worked. I'll email RadioTime and the station directly. If that doesn't work then I'm thinking of getting the RadioShark and tuning it in over the air and then passing the feed to the SB. Is the RadioShark the the best solution for that?

bpa
2009-01-11, 10:57
It's a mms: only station and doesn't support http: so it will not play on SN as SB doesn't support mms. To play the station on SC in Settings/Advanced/FileTYpes set Windows Media "native" to "disabled". If SC is running Windows then the station will play OK. If SC is on Linux or OSX then you will need to install an app than can play mms WMA streams such as mplayer and also necessary conf file. For OSX and Linux A quick way is to install AlienBBC plugin as it includes all the settings for handling WMA as well as RealAudio.

I used the URL below:

toby10
2009-01-11, 11:02
just tried SN, nothing....every other radio station I tried worked. I'll email RadioTime and the station directly. If that doesn't work then I'm thinking of getting the RadioShark and tuning it in over the air and then passing the feed to the SB. Is the RadioShark the the best solution for that?

Never used it as I have no interest in terrestrial radio when not in my car.
My main purpose of utilizing these devices is to specifically avoid the typical AM/FM crap.
Though I know there are the *rare* exceptions to the AM/FM junk out there. :)

It may just be a bad URL, it is (unfortunately) not uncommon with Internet Radio feeds. The stations themselves or streaming services like ShoutCast will reassign the URL's at will. Some are the same URL for years, while others change often. Maybe your station recently moved/switched URL's and RadioTime just hasn't updated it's listing.

EDIT: Or, better yet, just do what bpa says. :)

discgo
2009-01-12, 06:51
YES! Thanks, bpa....works great.

discgo
2009-01-15, 16:59
So I got my fav FM station up and running thanks to bpa, but now I can't get Sirius stations to play on SqueezeCenter. They only play if I'm connected to SqueezeNetwork. I tried setting the Windows Media setting back to native, that did nothing.

On the controller it pulls up the station, they hangs and sometimes counts a second or two then the counter goes back to 0. No sound at all. On SC, it counts and looks like it's playing but no sound at all.

What's the deal here? Seems like I exchanged one problem for another as I never have had a single Sirius issues at all.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, SC 7.3.2, and have mplayer & AlienBBC installed.

Any help will be much appreciated!

enjoy the music!
discgo

bpa
2009-01-15, 17:19
You may be having some caching issues with Sirius after you switch back.

Change back to Windows Media native, wait at least 5 minutes (300 secs is a common cache timelimit) after last trying Sirius and then restarting SC and then try Sirius again.

discgo
2009-01-15, 18:07
You may be having some caching issues with Sirius after you switch back.

Change back to Windows Media native, wait at least 5 minutes (300 secs is a common cache timelimit) after last trying Sirius and then restarting SC and then try Sirius again.

that does it, is there any way for me to switch from Sirius to the FM stream (and vice versa) without changing the file type setting? This should be a fairly popular thing to do, right? I'll keep digging and any links would be great.

enjoy the music!

bpa
2009-01-15, 18:27
I think it may be a bug as "native disabled" would be used for an SB1 - in which case Sirius won't work with SB1. If that is true then it is a bug.

discgo
2009-01-15, 19:01
I think it may be a bug as "native disabled" would be used for an SB1 - in which case Sirius won't work with SB1. If that is true then it is a bug.

I'm missing something here, I have a SB Duet not a SB1...is there a place where I can submit the bug?