PDA

View Full Version : Spotify

Lasse B
2009-01-10, 14:45
Hello,

is it possible to send music from the Spotify web interface via the Squeezebox web interface in the PC to the Squeezebox ?

Thanks in advance & Best Regards Lasse

Uluen
2009-01-12, 06:56
Do you mean the spotify application? I don't find any player on the web interface.

Have you tried the waveinput plugin?

That said, integrating Spotify with SC would be a killer combo!

Lasse B
2009-01-12, 14:18
Hi,

I have since last week got a 3 month trial license to Spotify
http://www.spotify.com/en/ and this is realy excelent way to easily
get access to tons of music (mp3 quality) e.g. check music before buy CD or FLAC files. I have sent a ticket to Logitec support, to check if there is any way I can have the out put from Spotify sent into my Squeezebox, I have tryed to use the URL-radio access in squeezebox, as there is an URL address indicated for the playlist in Spotify but I could not have it working.
Best Regards Lasse

Lasse B
2009-01-12, 14:45
Hi Uluen,

Thanks for your reply!
No, I have not tryed the Waveinput plug in, where do I find this one ?
Best Regards Lasse

erland
2009-01-12, 16:13
No, I have not tryed the Waveinput plug in, where do I find this one ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

Digo
2009-01-14, 06:37
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

I use that plugin with Spotify and it works perfect. The sound is though not of the same quality as when I play music which I have saved on my computer. I do not know if that is due to my sound card or not?

Lasse B
2009-01-14, 10:05
In the description of WaveInput (the link above from Erland)
it says;

"The WaveInput plugin is based around an utility which samples the PC audio stream configured as the recording source and then converts and feeds the sampled stream as a WAV stream into SqueezeCenter" so for me it seems that WaveInput make a new sampling on the poor mp3 quality and then stream this to the SC, I assume that this must be the reasoon for the quality droop. It should really have been nice to have at least the mp3 quality from Spotify
transfered to SC but this is perhaps not possible.

Best Regards Lasse

bpa
2009-01-14, 10:20
No - wave input takes the PCM data stream that is being directed towards your sound card. If you are using the default settings the PCM is compressed using FLAC and the Flac stream is decompressed and converted to audio by the player. So the audio stream from PC to SB is bit identical.

There is no loss in quality if you are using WAVIN to Flac. If you have disabled WAVIN using Flac - then MP3 will be used and that can result in loss in quality.

Lasse B
2009-01-14, 13:55
Hi bpa,

I have now followed the installation instruction for WaveInput and added the URL string under "SC Setting/Plugins/Extension Downloader/Settings"
and then ticked off the box "waveInput V1.04 under plugins + restarted PC and then in the windows XP control panel changed => recording => volume => ticked off "What U Hear" and put volume to max => apply => in SC under web radio indicated URL: "wavin:0" and unfortunately I don't manage to have it working (I have checked the FAQ). Have I done any obviously fault in my installation ? Spotify is running and when I try to start play "wavin:0"
in the SC playlist - it will not start.

bpa
2009-01-14, 14:11
"What you Hear" may not correspond with device number 0 and so you will not be taking the "WHat you Hear" stream.

Open a command prompt window.
change directory to the Plugins\WaveInput\Bin directory
run the command (note the option is letter l and not digit 1) wavin2cmd.exe -l

The applicable streams will be listed. The first one is device 0.

What do you get ?

Lasse B
2009-01-14, 14:43
exuse my ignorance but where in Windows XP do I "Open a command prompt window." and how do I change directory to the Plugins\WaveInput\Bin directory in order to run the command "wavin2cmd.exe -l"
(I'm not a computer guy).
Best Regards Lasse

Lasse B
2009-01-14, 14:53
Excuse my ignorance but I´m not a computer guy:
1. What´s the command for opening the promt in Windows XP?
2. Can you be more specific in telling how I change the directory to the Plugins\WaveInput\Bin directory, step by step, in order to run the wavin2cmd.exe -l

Best Regards Lasse

bpa
2009-01-14, 14:59
OK.

The instructions below assumes your Windows installation is on drive C:. If it is not - please reply.

First you need to note the full directory path to the WaveInput plugin. This should be shown in WebUI Settings/Information "Plugin Folders" note the path which ends "Installed Plugins\Plugins\" probably something like
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\ WaveInput\Bin

Now to open a command prompt.
On XP Click "Start Button" and then select "Run ...". Type cmd in the box and click "OK". A Windows with a command line interface should open.

Run the "Wavin2cmd" program as follows.
Add "wavin2cmd -l" after the plugin path and press return.
For example
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\ WaveInput\Bin\wavin2cmd.exe -l

Uluen
2009-01-15, 00:22
The sound is though not of the same quality as when I play music which I have saved on my computer. I do not know if that is due to my sound card or not?

The Spotify stream is around ~160Kbs I think, not very good sound quality but at least it helps me find new music :)

Lasse B
2009-01-15, 16:03
when I open the WebUI under the folder Information the Settings/Information "Plugin Folder" I found the WavIn program in the folder;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\ WaveInput\Bin\

and then I added the suffix wavin2cmd.exe –l to this string and the string to the command prompt in Windows C:\Documents and settings\owner>"the string" and then I got the message "this is not an internal comand, external comand, program or comand file"
(Windows installation is on drive C:).
I do something wrong, don't I ?
Best Regards Lasse

bpa
2009-01-15, 16:19
Comand prompt is picky.

1. Do not have a "C:" at the start
2. Make sure whole string is in quotes (") as there are spaces in "Documents and Settings", the system will assume the command is everything from prompt up to 1st space unless it is quoted.

Lasse B
2009-01-18, 04:07
Hi again,

I have really tryed to type in all different combinations of ("), <">, with and without "\" (in the begining of the string) in the command prompt in windows, like the one below;

C:\Documents and settings\owner>(Documents and Settings\All Users\ Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\ WaveInput\ Bin\wavin2cmd.exe –l)

but I still get the message "this is not an internal comand, external comand, program or comand file",
which is really such a pitty as the combination SPOTIFY and SQ should have been perfect. I really hope the Logitec will set up a cooperation with SPOTIFY so we could have it incl. in SC in the same way as e.g the existing Live Musich Archive.

Best Regards Lasse

bpa
2009-01-18, 05:56
Last try.

Download the attached file runwav.bat.txt into the directory C:\Documents and Settings\owner

Check the file is there and rename it to runwav.bat

Open the command prompt window (i.e. run cmd) and you should have the prompt C:\Documents and Settings\owner>

Type runwav.bat followed by enter/return.

This batch file should run the wavin2cmd with the command option. It will first display a banner "running wavin2cmd"

copy output to a post.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-19, 03:44
The Spotify stream is around ~160Kbs I think, not very good sound quality but at least it helps me find new music :)

160kbps Ogg Vorbis (they're using Vorbis I think) should be transparent on most recordings, and is more than enough for casual listening IMHO.

Yps
2009-01-25, 00:34

160kb/s compressed with OggVorbis.

edit: I was to late :)

bpa
2009-01-25, 02:45
For Windows users of Spotify and who cannot get WaveInput to work - Siduhe has a suggestion here
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=388864&postcount=4

BigTony
2009-01-31, 01:53
I got the wavinput to work, but I can't mute or lower the sound on my laptop without it lowering the sound to wavin.

Lasse B
2009-02-01, 04:52
Hi bpa,

Thanks again for your suport!!
Last weeks have been very hectic but I have now run your script and I have got the following respons;

"SB Audigy Audio (BC00)"
"Bluetooth AV Audio"
"Bluetooth SCO Audio"

Best Regards Lasse

bpa
2009-02-01, 05:19
Lasse,

That looks like wavin:0 should work. Perhaps you could try Siduhe's suggestion as Spotify looks to be messing with audio at srtaup.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=388864&postcount=4

BigTony,

WaveInput is doing what it is supposed to do - relay audio exactly as from Windows mixer. This also enables user to control audio levels from PC to SC. Problem is that many PC/Laptops have cut costs and no longer have true analog controls on speaker amp and use digital control via Windows control panel. Another user suggested plugging in headphones as a way to "mute" the PC speakers.

Lasse B
2009-02-01, 05:20
Hi again pba,

Believe it or not but it's working now (I usses wavin:00 + the instruction above from Sidhuhe). Now I just have to find out how to increase the buffers as the musics is intrupted for buffering all the time.
Best Regards Lasse

Lasse B
2009-02-07, 04:30
Hi,

I have just, with a lot of support from bpa at this forum, managed to get
Spotify to communicate with my SC by using WaveInput v1.04. Unfortunataly there seems to be some problems with the cache memory as the music does no stream constantely. After some seconds it's interupted and a buffer process starts (buffering is indicated on the SC display)and then the music continues for another 10-15 seconds etc. Can this problem be a cach memory related to the SC ? or cach memory problem with the WaveInput v1.04 or
cach memory problem related to Windows NT ? I have checked out the control panel but I can't find any information about cach memory - does any have any idea which adjustments I have to do in order to avoid the buffer interuptions ?

bpa
2009-02-07, 06:15
Don't assume the problem is "cache memory" as gaps in audio is the same symptom for all sorts of problem from source app, network quality, network interference to PC processor/memory issues.

The WaveInput plugn will by default use Flac - so your network between PC and the SB must be capable of providing about 1500kbit/s sustained. You should run the network test to see what is the highest rate your network can sustain at 100% for 10 minutes.

You can sacrifice some quality by disabling the WaveInput filetypes using Flac and so it will use MP3 but this would overcome a network issue

You should also check your processor CPU and memory utilisations (e.g. use task manager) to see if the combination of WaveInput, SC and Spotify is somehow overloading your systems.

If the processor/memory utilisation is lumpy/uneven and it is the cause of the gaps then there are parameters to wavin2cmd which can be adjusted to use more buffers which may help the SB get over the lumps.

DannyKudos
2009-02-08, 10:38
I installed Wave Input plugin, but it wont load. I get "Plugin is incompatible with this version of SqueezeCenter. Please update". I am running 7.31. Anyone know if an upgrade for Wave Input that will work with this version is due ?

bpa
2009-02-08, 11:18
Remove all trace of the wrong plugin from your system and reboot SC.

Then follow the instruction in the WaveInput thread - this post
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=372576&postcount=215

GungHo
2009-02-24, 06:30
A hack for Spotify is now available,
how long will it take until it is adapted to SqeezeCenter ?
http://despotify.se/

Lem
2009-02-27, 00:38
Good find!

As you say, this could be the start of an awesome plugin.

neslekkim
2009-04-07, 10:13
And now Spotify have released their API

So I guess work on the plugin can start :)

neslekkim
2009-04-07, 10:13
And urls:
http://developer.spotify.com/blog/
http://developer.spotify.com/en/libspotify/docs/index.html

(the posting rules in this forum is trickish... )

andyg
2009-04-07, 10:32
Cool, unfortunately it's an x86 C library...

BlueScreenJunky
2009-04-14, 10:04
Well, according to Spotify, Logitech is already working on implementing Spotify on its streaming devices. This is from a news on the French site LesNumeriques (http://www.lesnumeriques.com/news_id-8472.html)

Des compagnies comme Sonos ou Logitech, qui conçoivent des périphériques de streaming, travaillent déjà sur l’intégration du service, confie la compagnie.
which would roughly translate into :

Companies like Sonos or Logitech, which make streaming devices, are already working on integrating our service, said [Spotify].

I guess you guys would know about it lol ^^;

theseal
2009-04-26, 05:35
I need it now!!! What's taking them so much time?????

!!!!!!

:)

m0rph13
2009-04-27, 04:31
Any info coming from Logitech about it?
Im throwing out my NAS with all mp3:s the moment this goes live!

pippin
2009-04-27, 04:39
Im throwing out my NAS with all mp3:s the moment this goes live!

Don't do it. You'd be surprised how many of them will be missing on Soptify (as on iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, Last.fm,...)

autopilot
2009-04-27, 08:03
Don't do it. You'd be surprised how many of them will be missing on Soptify (as on iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, Last.fm,...)

And the fact that you will be up the creak if your net connection when down, or the Spotify servers.

But yeah, i really cant wait for Spotify. Hope the hurry up and produce a better API soon.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-04-27, 11:41
But yeah, i really cant wait for Spotify. Hope the hurry up and produce a better API soon.

What's the matter with the current API ?

deadkenny
2009-05-06, 08:55
And the fact that you will be up the creak if your net connection when down, or the Spotify servers.
Not to mention the quality will unlikely match a good quality CD rip. Though I'm fussy and all my music is streamed in lossless Flac format to my Squeezebox anyway. Streamed MP3s are okay but I can hear many artefacts in them with decent kit or quality headphones.

jimascroft
2009-05-09, 06:12
I have 5 Squeezeboxes at home and a Spotify plugin would let friends and their children listen to whatever they want.....which is good for them.
Im a bit more Wire http://www.pinkflag.com/ they are a bit on the Taylors Wiffed ..http://www.taylorswift.com/.
Unlikely to find the Wiffed one on my drive...
A good weekend to you all.

J

BlueScreenJunky
2009-05-10, 09:56
Streamed MP3s are okay but I can hear many artefacts in them with decent kit or quality headphones.

Well, most of those streams are 128kbps MP3. Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis q5 (vbr, around 160kbps) which is significantly better, and should be pretty transparent for anyone. I do use only FLAC for my local files, but I can't really complain about the sound quality on spotify.(a few tracks seem to have a poor quality, but since I don't own the CD I can't say if it comes from spotify or not...)

m0rph13
2009-05-11, 03:25
Still no word from Logitech regarding if they are actually working on integrating this into squeezenetwork :(

socistep
2009-05-11, 04:10
Still no word from Logitech regarding if they are actually working on integrating this into squeezenetwork :(

Are people looking to use mainly the advert based service ? If not then isn't the paid service similar to Napster ?

m0rph13
2009-05-16, 14:17
Are people looking to use mainly the advert based service ? If not then isn't the paid service similar to Napster ?

Jupp, just as google is similar to Alta Vista, and so forth.

Please update squeezenetwork to work with Spotify.
The API has been available for ages now.
I dont want to replace my squeezebox but I will switch to something supporting Spotify the moment its released.

pippin
2009-05-16, 15:31
Jupp, just as google is similar to Alta Vista, and so forth.

I dont want to replace my squeezebox but I will switch to something supporting Spotify the moment its released.

Tell Spotify to release usable API.
What they released is not an API but a library limited to a single architecture.

BTW, what do you want to switch to, there are no devices yet that support it.

Siduhe
2009-05-16, 16:08

Have you even looked at the API specs?

As others have said, the current API supports only x86 Linux systems and premium users. So if you have a free (advert supported) account and are running any other OS, the current API wouldn't work for you even if a plugin was available. Let alone trying to get it to work on Squeezenetwork.

Spotify need to release a more usable, generic API to get the kind of device support you are looking for (and to be fair to them, they have said they are working on this).

m0rph13
2009-06-02, 03:54
Have you even looked at the API specs?
yes

As others have said, the current API supports only x86 Linux systems and premium users. So if you have a free (advert supported) account and are running any other OS, the current API wouldn't work for you even if a plugin was available. Let alone trying to get it to work on Squeezenetwork.
That the service is only availble for paying customers is anything but unique.
If you dont believe the API would be released on other platforms fast enough, it would make all the more sense to have it implemented on squeezenetwork.

Spotify need to release a more usable, generic API to get the kind of device support you are looking for (and to be fair to them, they have said they are working on this).
Im not sure what functionality its lacking that you need..
In the meanwhile, there is always despotify.se to lean on.

m0rph13
2009-06-02, 04:05
Tell Spotify to release usable API.
What they released is not an API but a library limited to a single architecture.
I disagree to your definition of an API.

BTW, what do you want to switch to, there are no devices yet that support it.
It will probably be a custom made little linux box for me now. Was considering a mac mini but its a bit pricy for what Im going to use it for (and currently I would probably have to use despotify.se to hook up to Spotify).

Siduhe
2009-06-02, 04:17
That the service is only availble for paying customers is anything but unique. If you dont believe the API would be released on other platforms fast enough, it would make all the more sense to have it implemented on squeezenetwork.

It's not that the service is only for paying customers - but that the current implementation is limited to a single architecture. The whole philosophy of Slim Devices is cross-platform implementation of services. I can't seem the changing this for one service (although that's only a guess, based on a number of years using their devices)

I think you must know more about the Squeezenetwork setup than I do because my understanding was that it is technically impossible to run the current API on the Squeezenetwork servers.

I find the Icecast workaround to be an ok substitute however, have you looked into this at all?

gppp
2009-06-21, 05:57
surely it should be possible to write a squeezebox audio driver for libdespotify and then write a client for squeezecenter. Has anyone tried this approach yet? would be keen to collaborate if there is anyone.

yes i know it will be for paying spotify customers only, but really 10 euros a month for as much music as you can listen too..?

bpa
2009-06-21, 07:05
It is possible to write a plugin using despotify - however if the author made the plugin available there is the possibility of litigation even if there is no real case - the author would have to spend time and money defending themselves.