PDA

View Full Version : Need New Wireless Router



mewzshn
2009-01-08, 09:13
My wireless router (Linksys WRT54GS) seems to have hit bottom - I'm having to reset it multiple times a day just to get internet. The old one has 2 antennae which I replaced with ugly longer ones and my wireless coverage was not great but OK much of the time. I decided to try a range extender, and being the cheapskate that I am, bought a Belkin for $39. I have 3 squeezeboxes and the furthest one (which of course is in the music room with the best equipment) went from signal strength of around 32% to the mid 40's.

To make a long story shorter, I replaced it with a Linksys WRT100 Rangeplus, expecting wonderful things and my signal strength has gone DOWN to about 15%. The new router has internal antennae, so I can't use my big ugly extensions and I have not connected the Belkin extender.

I'm interested in how others have solved similar problems. Do SB's work better with some routers than others, and have any of you found one router or configuration to deal with walls better than others?

Thanks

radish
2009-01-08, 09:40
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus

I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS. Certainly worth trying!

Robin Bowes
2009-01-08, 09:53
radish wrote:
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>
> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
> Certainly worth trying!

I use a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both with DD-WRT, both excellent.

Try DD-WRT on your GS; if it still doesn't work right, get a GL.

R.

mewzshn
2009-01-08, 10:08
radish wrote:
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>
> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
> Certainly worth trying!

I use a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both with DD-WRT, both excellent.

Try DD-WRT on your GS; if it still doesn't work right, get a GL.

R.

OK - What is DD-WRT?

pfarrell
2009-01-08, 10:12
mewzshn wrote:
> OK - What is DD-WRT?

DD-WRT (and Tomato) are free, open source alternative firmware.
Either are highly recommended.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

AlchemyToo
2009-01-08, 10:45
Got one of those to replace a BeBox (Speedtouch).

Works great, very reliable, and haven't had a single drop-out with three SqueezeBoxes in different rooms and on different floors.

peter
2009-01-08, 10:53
Robin Bowes wrote:
> radish wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>>
>> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
>> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
>> Certainly worth trying!
>>
>
> I use a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both with DD-WRT, both excellent.
>
> Try DD-WRT on your GS; if it still doesn't work right, get a GL.
>

They're all wireless-g though, aren't they?

Peter

snarlydwarf
2009-01-08, 10:56
mewzshn wrote:
> OK - What is DD-WRT?

DD-WRT (and Tomato) are free, open source alternative firmware.
Either are highly recommended.


And as a side note: many if not most router manufacturers suck at updating their firmware.

It is easier and cheaper for them to tell you to buy a new one. Combine this with the very low resources of a typical router, and things like a memory leak can be cripple you eventually. (The router will run out of memory for connection tracking, which it needs for address translation.)

My POS router worked fine until I hid a web server behind it, then it died every few minutes. My Mother-in-laws router stays up for months. unless she has company staying with her, when it will die every day or two.

(When routers die, they tend to die in bizarre ways.. I could ssh from work to a machine at home just fine.. but I couldn't ssh from home to work... and I couldn't even bring up the router's web page to reboot it, it would drop half the packets.)

The WRT54G series is very highly respected, but part of that may be the success of DD-WRT.

Robin Bowes
2009-01-08, 11:28
Peter wrote:
> Robin Bowes wrote:
>> radish wrote:
>>
>>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>>>
>>> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
>>> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
>>> Certainly worth trying!
>>>
>> I use a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both with DD-WRT, both excellent.
>>
>> Try DD-WRT on your GS; if it still doesn't work right, get a GL.
>>
>
> They're all wireless-g though, aren't they?

And?

The OP is using his current device with 3 Squeezeboxen - they too are
wireless G.

R.

Robin Bowes
2009-01-08, 11:33
mewzshn wrote:
> My wireless router (Linksys WRT54GS) seems to have hit bottom - I'm
> having to reset it multiple times a day just to get internet. The old
> one has 2 antennae which I replaced with ugly longer ones and my
> wireless coverage was not great but OK much of the time. I decided to
> try a range extender, and being the cheapskate that I am, bought a
> Belkin for $39. I have 3 squeezeboxes and the furthest one (which of
> course is in the music room with the best equipment) went from signal
> strength of around 32% to the mid 40's.
>
> To make a long story shorter, I replaced it with a Linksys WRT100
> Rangeplus, expecting wonderful things and my signal strength has gone
> DOWN to about 15%. The new router has internal antennae, so I can't use
> my big ugly extensions and I have not connected the Belkin extender.
>
> I'm interested in how others have solved similar problems. Do SB's
> work better with some routers than others, and have any of you found
> one router or configuration to deal with walls better than others?

One other idea is to consider Powerline networking.

I have a pair of Zyxel PLA-400 devices:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=LN21134

Both are plugged into extension boards yet still seem to work just fine.

R.

Goodsounds
2009-01-08, 12:14
A power outage did in my 3 year old Linksys a few weeks ago - have bought the same model to replace it, all is well again with a simple solution. Any reason why you wouldn't do the same?

Unless you're spending several hundred bucks, and sometimes even then, most routers on the market are pretty unsubstantial. The one I had before only lasted for a few years, so I thought 3+ years was acceptable.

On the Powerline device suggestion, be aware that owing to electrical code and home wiring practice differences, these often do not work well in the US (if that is where you are). If you want to try it, or if you're elsewhere, maybe it is a good alternative for you to consider.

On the DD-WRT and Tomato suggestions, if you're not an IT tech or software coder, it might be best to stick with what comes in the box you purchase. Most people do so succesfully.

peter
2009-01-08, 12:15
Robin Bowes wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Robin Bowes wrote:
>>
>>> radish wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>>>>
>>>> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
>>>> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
>>>> Certainly worth trying!
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I use a WRT54GS and a WRT54GL, both with DD-WRT, both excellent.
>>>
>>> Try DD-WRT on your GS; if it still doesn't work right, get a GL.
>>>
>>>
>> They're all wireless-g though, aren't they?
>>
>
> And?
>

And I'd like an alternative firmware AP with wireless-g.

> The OP is using his current device with 3 Squeezeboxen - they too are
> wireless G.
>

So am I, but I also have laptops that are easily upgraded to N.

Regards,
Peter

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-08, 12:21
On the DD-WRT and Tomato suggestions, if you're not an IT tech or software coder, it might be best to stick with what comes in the box you purchase. Most people do so succesfully.

If you're just going to ditch the old router, why not try it? Nothing to lose...

Robin Bowes
2009-01-08, 13:04
Peter wrote:
> Robin Bowes wrote:
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>>> Robin Bowes wrote:
>>> They're all wireless-g though, aren't they?
>>>
>> And?
>>
>
> And I'd like an alternative firmware AP with wireless-g.

Eh? You mean wireless-n ?

>
>> The OP is using his current device with 3 Squeezeboxen - they too are
>> wireless G.
>>
>
> So am I, but I also have laptops that are easily upgraded to N.

I'm sure there are APs available that support N and also run DD-WRT.
I've not looked though since I don't have any need for N

R.

Goodsounds
2009-01-08, 15:11
If you're just going to ditch the old router, why not try it? Nothing to lose...

To be honest with you, it's not something that interests me. I realize a lot of the regulars here like to tinker and have IT related occupations. Not me on either score.

MeSue
2009-01-08, 15:29
I haven't tried DD-WRT, but Tomato is straightforward and pretty well-documented. I like it a lot better than the firmware that came with my Buffalo router. The Buffalo WHR-HP-54G is great, but unfortunately, you can't buy them in the US right now because of some lawsuit. According to the web site, they will be able to start selling them again "soon."

peter
2009-01-09, 05:51
Robin Bowes wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Robin Bowes wrote:
>>
>>> Peter wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Robin Bowes wrote:
>>>> They're all wireless-g though, aren't they?
>>>>
>>>>
>>> And?
>>>
>>>
>> And I'd like an alternative firmware AP with wireless-g.
>>
>
> Eh? You mean wireless-n ?
>

Obviously.
>
>>> The OP is using his current device with 3 Squeezeboxen - they too are
>>> wireless G.
>>>
>>>
>> So am I, but I also have laptops that are easily upgraded to N.
>>
>
> I'm sure there are APs available that support N and also run DD-WRT.
> I've not looked though since I don't have any need for N

I'll do some research myself then.

Regards,
Peter

mewzshn
2009-01-09, 06:03
I decided trial and error was OK with liberal return policies. Since BJ's is close to my house I picked up a Belkin N router for $50. At 8 a.m. today, it is working well. I also managed to get my Belkin repeater to work (realized in all the "setup networking" I had to do with the SB, that I needed to point the SB to the repeater and not the router) and am now getting signal strength of 66%!

Interestingly enough, although the SB got really low signal strength with the new, fancy lynksis, the 3rd floor pc got moderate reception. With this new Belkin, the SB is doing much better (even before I connected the repeater) but the 3rd floor sucks. I'm hoping that if I replace the wireless adapter up there with an "N" one, that will fix the problem.

I may or may not try the alternate firmware with this little Belkin - it ain't broke, yet. One of the things which I constantly read in reviews is that these devices work for a day - or a week - or maybe a year. A year seems too short, but what's with a day or a week? Maybe I'll stick to playing the piano.

corbey
2009-01-09, 06:04
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus

I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS. Certainly worth trying!

Make this another vote for the DIR-655, which I've been using for a couple of years. I have a wireless-n laptop, so I run it in mixed g-n mode. No problems with my three Squeezeboxen, and it seems to have better range than my old WRT-54G.

peter
2009-01-09, 06:20
corbey wrote:
> radish;381117 Wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/RouterStatus
>>
>> I personally use a D-Link DIR-655 and love it, others will no doubt
>> proclaim love for DD-WRT and suggest you put it on your WRT54GS.
>> Certainly worth trying!
>>
>
> Make this another vote for the DIR-655, which I've been using for a
> couple of years. I have a wireless-n laptop, so I run it in mixed g-n
> mode. No problems with my three Squeezeboxen, and it seems to have
> better range than my old WRT-54G.
>

I have one and I was happy with it too at first. But the old problem of
having to reboot it once a wekk or month has turned up with this one as
well :(

It must be really hard to make a stable router...

Regards,
Peter