PDA

View Full Version : Replacement remote for Squeezebox

Gazjam
2009-01-08, 08:36
Need a replacement remote for my SB3.
Where can I get / order one here in the UK?

Thanks.

Actually Id like to get the backlit Transporter remote (assuming it works with the SB3) as its a PITA chilling out with my music late at night in a darkened room!

Does the backlighting work effectively actually? I think I read a post on here from someone less than happy with it?

Any other remote options? (I will EVENTUALY get an Ipod Touch but not just now).

Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-08, 12:08
Any other remote options?

A universal remote with JVC DVD codes - you'd be missing the brightness button though.

The brightness button is required for firmware updates but you can now set the SB3 to auto-update, at least in recent firmwares. Which you have to load with the brightness button first, so kind of a chicken-and-egg thing - but if you have a fairly recent firmware you can just set it by pressing and holding left and going through setup.

You can get a nice backlit remote with huge buttons or a fancy one like the Harmony or a super-cheap one.

badbob
2009-01-08, 16:41
If you need backlight why even consider SB3 remote? Isn't the transporter remote the same SB3 remote? Just downloaded PDF.

What about URC MX-850? Squeezebox codes are already in the database. Just add your amp, shortcut the volume to SB3 device and job done.

Don't get Harmony remotes the editor is pants. Also with the vast number of buttons on SB3 you will need the 4 x 10 page on URC. The 6 button page on the Harmony 1 will mean lots of pages.

radish
2009-01-08, 18:26
If you need backlight why even consider SB3 remote? Isn't the transporter remote the same SB3 remote? Just downloaded PDF.

The Transporter remote is backlit.

Don't get Harmony remotes the editor is pants. Also with the vast number of buttons on SB3 you will need the 4 x 10 page on URC. The 6 button page on the Harmony 1 will mean lots of pages.
Harmony devices work very well with the SB range. I'm not sure if you noticed, but Harmony's tend to have a lot of hard buttons and the vast majority are mapped automatically. The only things I have mapped to the LCD are brightness and size, so it only needs one page.

bpa
2009-01-08, 18:33
Ripcaster have them on their website - other users have recommended to talk to them first rather just ordering straight from web site.

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/product?from=87

Gazjam
2009-01-09, 00:34
Thanks all,

just to confirm though, the Transporter remote (the one I fancy) is compatable with the SB3?

Also, is the backlight genuinely useful - i.e does it "work" ok in the dark?

Where can I get one in the UK?

Thanks!

Stratmangler
2009-01-09, 01:25
Sounds like you're looking at the controller http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_controller.html . The transporter standard remote is the same as the SB3 (AFAIK).

You can get one here https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/280

Chris:)

Gazjam
2009-01-09, 07:27
Thanks Chris,

I think though the Transpoter remote is the same except the buttons are backlit - which is EXACTLY what Im after.

Until I get an Ipod Touch (which I prefer to the Controller) the Transporter remote is what Im after.

Phoned Ripcaster, they say they can get one in for me no problem.

Ta.

ThomP
2009-01-09, 08:55
Harmony devices work very well with the SB range. I'm not sure if you noticed, but Harmony's tend to have a lot of hard buttons and the vast majority are mapped automatically. The only things I have mapped to the LCD are brightness and size, so it only needs one page.

I also use a Harmony for my SB from time to time, but I must admit that I can't recommend it - not because it doesn't support the SB (it does), but because the products - imho - are bad:-( I bought it because the concept is great, but as time goes by my impression with how it works gets worse:

1) Totally opposite the Squeeze* products, Logitech has chosen a completely closed approach for development of Harmony. No open source, no chance to look behind the scenes, and no way to change or even look at the IR-codes manually - highly relevant in a lot of cases.
This approach also means that once you bought your Harmony, you aren't likely to get any new features. They are only implemented in new products.

2) This could be ok if everything just worked - after all many companies share this policy - but my Harmony (895) is unstable and I am still having a hard time getting it to consistently send one code instead of two - this applies to codes I taught it myself as well as codes that are in the database.

3) The hardware quality (specifically the buttons) is not impressive to say the least.

I would highly recommend browsing the Harmony forums before buying one - after all, it's a pretty expensive remote!

badbob
2009-01-09, 10:03
after all, it's a pretty expensive remote!

They're actually pretty cheap. If you think Logitechs are expensive, don't find out how much these cost.

http://www.crestron.co.uk/products/view.aspx?cat=1333&id=1258

My CI who sells Harmony hates Harmony remotes. I found Harmony software pretty awful to use.

Good god I just found out the price.....a bargain at 12,526.68

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-09, 10:17
Yeah, Harmony 525/555 are pretty cheap and work OK. And I like the whole "activity" concept, I find it pretty convenient to use once it's set up correctly.

The software is definitely the worst thing I ever used though, you have to run like 3 wizards to change a simple option, and there's no way it will let you configure what you want by yourself.

Rick B.
2009-01-09, 10:23
I use a Harmony remote for my SB and love it. It's the old 670 model, that can be had for around $100 new. Yes, the online software is a bit goofy, but once you get used to it, it does the job.

I control my flatscreen, hi-def PVR/cable box, A/V receiver, another pre-amp and amp for whole house audio, a third amp for outdoor speakers, DVD, CD and SB with it. I have 3 separate volume controls programmed into it. All without any paging on the remote.

Worth consideration, especially if you want to control more than your SB.

ThomP
2009-01-09, 11:14
They're actually pretty cheap. If you think Logitechs are expensive, don't find out how much these cost.

http://www.crestron.co.uk/products/view.aspx?cat=1333&id=1258

My CI who sells Harmony hates Harmony remotes. I found Harmony software pretty awful to use.

Good god I just found out the price.....a bargain at 12,526.68

Why on earth are you comparing a remote control to a PC?? The Harmony is also cheaper than a Mercedes!

badbob
2009-01-09, 11:17
That Crestron is a remote conrol.

badbob
2009-01-09, 11:21
That Crestron is a remote control but you still need processor and gateway. Quite costly ;-)

But as a system, it's the dogs danglies.

ThomP
2009-01-09, 12:29
That Crestron is a remote conrol.

Then why do they call it a media center? My pc can control other devices as well, but that doesn't make it a remote control.

Of course you can call it whatever you want, but it's nonsense to compare it to a Harmony.

Besides, this is getting way OT!

badbob
2009-01-09, 12:40
You're right the Crestron is another league. They're fantastic pieces of kit. Way way out of my price range.

Personally I wouldn't buy Harmony, I'd get a Pronto 9400, but I'd still prefer remote with more hard buttons.

deserttaxguy
2009-01-09, 17:07
Its very unresponsive and balks at just about every entry on the push buttons. My first inclination was to replace the batteries, but thats not helping. This thread about replacing the remote hasn't helped suggest whether a new one is required or not. If you haven't dropped either the remote or the squeezebox, what happens to make the remote stop working?
I cant stand this remote, so lets get some alternatives or the replacement if thats required up on the site so you can buy one please. Thank you.

Gazjam
2009-01-10, 04:01
Then why do they call it a media center? My pc can control other devices as well, but that doesn't make it a remote control.

Of course you can call it whatever you want, but it's nonsense to compare it to a Harmony.

Besides, this is getting way OT!

Yeah, these threads have away of wandering off....

Im none the wiser really, going to get a transporter remote and recycle an old One4All URC7562 I have lying around for the rest of the kit.

Thanks again.

Gazjam
2009-01-10, 09:31
Its very unresponsive and balks at just about every entry on the push buttons. My first inclination was to replace the batteries, but thats not helping. This thread about replacing the remote hasn't helped suggest whether a new one is required or not. If you haven't dropped either the remote or the squeezebox, what happens to make the remote stop working?
I cant stand this remote, so lets get some alternatives or the replacement if thats required up on the site so you can buy one please. Thank you.

HI, original poster here.
My question wasn't about wether a new one was needed or not.

Mines works 100% great, its just that the back of it has been melted from it being left on a hot lamp surface!
Its actually warped now and doesn't sit flat in my hand any more.

Dont NEED a new one, but...you know?

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-10, 15:23

There have been instances of the IR LED solder leads breaking. Easily fixed if you can get it open and have entry-level soldering skills.

Otherwise - are you sure it's the remote and not an unresponsive Squeezebox caused by network or server issues? Is there another remote you can try - JVC DVD or a universal programmed for JVC DVD, for example?

You can diagnose server/network issues here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

deserttaxguy
2009-01-11, 21:10
I updated the firmware Saturday night and now its dead. Naturally, I check the power first, then make sure the cable it pushed all the way in the back of the SB3, but now the remote won't turn it on and my Squeeze center says the player isn't found, so what do you do with a dead SB- Throw it out, or is there a repair and diagnostic place to send them?

Mark- Thanks for the lead on additional remotes and the link to the diagnostic thing. I try that if I can.
My network is fine,and I've been through all the firewall and network issues a few years ago when I first got mine. I guess I'll try reinitializing it with a cable instead of wireless. Sometimes that helped. And speaking of reinitializing, my SB was giving me the mac not recognized error which I corrected once a few months ago. Why would it lose the Mac address and need resetting? I think I have a problem with hardware (SB?)

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-12, 07:38
I updated the firmware Saturday night and now its dead. Naturally, I check the power first, then make sure the cable it pushed all the way in the back of the SB3, but now the remote won't turn it on and my Squeeze center says the player isn't found, so what do you do with a dead SB- Throw it out, or is there a repair and diagnostic place to send them?

What specifically goes on with the SB?

Do you get the logo screen when you unplug/replug it?

If you plug it in and don't get the logo screen, yes, contact support.

If you do get the logo screen, try a factory reset - unplug power, press and hold "ADD/+" on the remote, replug power. Of course if the remote isn't working this won't work.

You may want to verify if it's the remote by looking at the emitter with a digital camera in a darkened room. Most digital cameras will show a purple light emanating from the emitter if you press a button.

Regarding repair of the SB if all else fails, warranty is 2 years and a standard out-of-warranty repair was $90 when I last heard of it.

And speaking of reinitializing, my SB was giving me the mac not recognized error which I corrected once a few months ago. Why would it lose the Mac address and need resetting? I think I have a problem with hardware (SB?)

You mean the SB said "MAC not recognized"? Did it say this in regards to its own MAC address or that of the server? I'm not sure how it knows its own MAC address is not recognized.

I have heard of SBs losing their MAC address. It can be re-entered. I'm not sure why it loses it or if it's an indication of hardware failure. IIRC some players that do this work fine afterward.

deserttaxguy
2009-01-12, 10:06
The first symptom of a problem was the SB mac address was scrambled a few months ago. For some reason the units firmware lost the mac address for itself. Support helped me reprogram the mac address.
Next the remote became increasingly unresponsive, but in a way like the batteries were dying. Changed batteries to known good batts, - no improvement. I usually control the SB with the Squeezecenter from my computer in a different room and only use the remote when I'm in that room with the SB. Its not like my remote had a lot of use or abuse.
The last thing I did was Saturday, when I updated firmware on the SB over the air. That worked fine, and the unit rebooted and I played it Saturday a little bit I think.
Finally yesterday, (Sunday) the SB unit was dead. It won't go to log in screen when you re-power.
I checked the power supply and its functioning with voltage.
I use my SB a lot! Thanks for the tip on repair.
I guess I'll email support for the mail in instructions. My unit is just over 2 years old I think.