PDA

View Full Version : Apple aiport Express to Squeezebox through Ethernet

musicman159
2009-01-08, 06:46
I bought an Aiport Express to try to extend my Linksys network but it does not work with it as an extender uless I use a third party software in the Linksys.

The reason to extend my network is becuase my second SB (original version)is in my bedroom and is just getting 68% of signal even with my 500mV booster at the router and the 9db gain antennas everywhere.

Now I am going in a different route. I am going to replece the linksys with an Airport Etreme as a router. Since it can use both "g" and "n" I was thinking in use the advantage of the bigger coverage of "n" and use the AP express at the bedroom to received the "n" signal and send it to the SB using the Ethernet connection.

I tried the ethernet connection with "g" at my living room SB where it gets 92% signal but the sound is extremely choppy, it constantly cut out and comes back.

Does anybody know why? and how to fix it?

Mark Lanctot
2009-01-08, 11:52
The reason to extend my network is becuase my second SB (original version)is in my bedroom and is just getting 68% of signal even with my 500mV booster at the router and the 9db gain antennas everywhere.

68% is not great but it should work.

I tried the ethernet connection with "g" at my living room SB where it gets 92% signal but the sound is extremely choppy, it constantly cut out and comes back.

At 92% there should not be any issues. Sounds like you have "bursty" interference or maybe server problems. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

mvalera
2009-01-08, 12:13
Please contact support, and they will help you with your issues:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Cheers,

Mike

ptrainer
2009-01-08, 12:33
...I tried the ethernet connection with "g" at my living room SB where it gets 92% signal but the sound is extremely choppy, it constantly cut out and comes back.

Forget 92% or even 68%... the SBR furthest from my router only gets 28% signal but plays without a hitch so in my opinion your choppy sound is definitely not a signal issue.

morps
2009-01-10, 18:54
Same topic, slightly different issue. I have a first gen SB without wifi. So I plugged Ethernet cable into it, connected to an Airport Express. During the SB setup, I get as far as the SB getting an IP but then it cannot find the SC server. I then get that error that says the SB cannot find the server.

This same SB was connected hard wired into my network and was working fine before.

Any ideas?