PDA

View Full Version : Remote/Ipeng...and Critique my setup

jmanings
2009-01-07, 17:45
Hi all.

I hope some of you will offer some advice on a few things i want to achieve with my home audio system. They are related to my squeezebox classic, ipeng, and home audio in general.

First let me give a short description of what i have and do:

1) I have the classic hooked to my home living room receiver.
2) I have a manual speaker selector and in wall speakers throughout the house
3) I have my desktop in my office
4) I have an ipod touch, and have just downloaded ipeng native. I think this will be awesome. I have used the old web version as well.

I listen mostly to my mp3 library on my pc, internet radio,and squeezenetwork

Also the touch has some great apps that offer easy access to music, podcasts, and talk. (i'll get to my question on this in a minute)

Here is what I like about the setup.

1) The whole Squeezebox experience is great
2) The choices are endless
3) I LOVE having the ipod touch in my hand to browse and control the action from anywhere i am sitting.
4) And too many more things to list

Here is what i dont like (and hoping for suggestions)

1) I have to physically turn on my receiver with a seperate remote, especially when im in another room( would the touch be able to do this)?
2) I have to turn the input to the aux input with a seperate remote (same as above)
3) I have to manually select the room speaker selector for the room i want to be in. ( usually bedroom)
4) I think the ipeng will turn on my PC via Wake on LAN, but it probably wont turn it off.

I realize most of this is no big deal, and may just mean I'm being lazy, but it would make it perfect if i could improve these things.

I guess the perfect solution would be if the IPENG or something could control a network to rf transmitter or something like that.

NEXT question:

The other big thing I would like to achieve would be to be able to playback whats on my ipod to the squeezebox. The touch have many cool apps that play music, podcasts, and talk in quicktime format

If there was a way to get this from the ipod to the squeezebox...NOW this would be AWESOME. There should be a way to transmit via wireless.

Last item...and I already think i know the answer to this.

I have a linksys wrt600n router that have a TWONKY media server and allows for an externak hard drive (a poor mans ready NAS i suppose...LOL) I can play mp3's on the touch (and xbox 360) directly from the hard drive/server (the advantage it that the there is no need to have a pc on)

Any possibility of getting the squeezebox to recognzize and play from it? (my guess is no)

Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joel

pippin
2009-01-07, 17:57
OK, here's the few answers I can give:

Here is what i dont like (and hoping for suggestions)

1) I have to physically turn on my receiver with a seperate remote, especially when im in another room( would the touch be able to do this)?

There are plugins/hardware solutions for this. You may want to search "3rd party plugins" or wait for the suggestions to drop by in this thread ;-)

3) I have to manually select the room speaker selector for the room i want to be in. ( usually bedroom)

Well, the solution LOGITECH will like best (and iPeng supports very well), is to buy a few more SBCs and set up different zones for each room

4) I think the ipeng will turn on my PC via Wake on LAN, but it probably wont turn it off.

ServerPowerControl might do that, albeit not with the current iPeng version. But with the next one (1.1, not 1.0.5)

I guess the perfect solution would be if the IPENG or something could control a network to rf transmitter or something like that.

Well, there are X10 plugins. I don't know if they will work with iPeng 1.1, though (haven't tried them myself, yet).

jmanings
2009-01-07, 18:08
Thanks Pippen,

Quick question while you are around.

1) Did I see somewhere that the Native app does not have local playback? or is that only for mp3's..I mean no internt radio

2) Does IPENG native have wake on lan?

Thanks,

pippin
2009-01-07, 18:11
Thanks Pippen,

Quick question while you are around.

1) Did I see somewhere that the Native app does not have local playback? or is that only for mp3's..I mean no internt radio

Yes, it doesn't. It's planned for the 1.3 version.

2) Does IPENG native have wake on lan?

Yes, but you'll have to enter your server's MAC manually since iPhone got all the routing table access stripped out of the SDK.