PDA

View Full Version : Playing music not in SqueezeCenter library

mphearn
2009-01-07, 04:49
Is it possible to configure my SB3 so that it will play music (mp3) from my hard disk which is not in the SqueezeCenter library?

I use the SB3 normally to play music from my SqueezeCenter library. I do, however, have a lot of mp3 files which I do not wish to include in the SqueezeCenter library but nevertheless want to play through the SB3.

How can this be done? It can be achieved using a Sony PS3 via the Windows Media Player library but I would much prefer to use the SB3 instead of the PS3 so that I do not have to have the TV switched on!

ThomP
2009-01-07, 06:10
I do, however, have a lot of mp3 files which I do not wish to include in the SqueezeCenter library

Why (just out of curiosity)?

MTBforever
2009-01-07, 07:33
Running an additional squeezecenter server could solve this. I dont know if its possibel to run to simultanius servers on the same PC on different ports but else you can run it on a PC emulator an then access the files as if they where on a network share.
Then you simply select another music source when you wants to listen to your mp3 files.

mphearn
2009-01-07, 07:47
Why (just out of curiosity)?
For the following reasons:
I am very selective about what to put in the SqueezeCenter library. I want all the tags to be organised correctly and I do not want the library to get too cluttered, large and unwieldy. Therefore I like to play, assess, and tag edit all new candidates before inclusion in the library.
I have a large collection of music obtained from various sources e.g. rips, downloads, radio broadcasts etc. *some* of which I may decide to include in my master SqueezeCenter library. I would like easily to be able to listen to these files via the SB3 *prior* to inclusion in the library.

mphearn
2009-01-07, 07:51
Running an additional squeezecenter server could solve this. I dont know if its possibel to run to simultanius servers on the same PC on different ports but else you can run it on a PC emulator an then access the files as if they where on a network share.
Then you simply select another music source when you wants to listen to your mp3 files.
But isn't there a way for the SB3 to access the the Windows Media Player (WMP) library in the same way that the Sony PS3 can?

aevans
2009-01-07, 08:09
I kind of had a stab at finding a solution for this before but not got anywhere. see.. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52806

I have my library set up, but i'd also like to be able to play the odd random mp3 from my laptop. This MP3 may not have correct id3 tags or may just be junk i don't want messing up my library.

I could easiy write a windows shell extension / applet which could temporarily place the mp3 on squeeze center machine then make the appropriate web/cli call to play it, but this would cause the track to be indexed and added to the library.

Somone suggested changing squeeze center so that the 'playlists' folder wasn't indexed but sadly this hasn't been done :(

Dogberry2
2009-01-07, 08:56
If you use the WaveInput plugin (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin), you could play the tracks you want to evaluate on your computer (using Media Player rather than SqueezeCenter) and listen to them on the SB3.

ThomP
2009-01-07, 08:59
I guess the right solution would be for Logitech to add support for multiple libraries in Squeezecenter - or some way of filtering based on a special tag (I could actually use a filter to exclude christmas genre in my library most of the year...).

Some workarounds - not perfect solutions, but ideas:

You could use a mass-tagging program to add a pseudo artist/album/albumartist to those files allowing you to isolate them. Of course this would destroy any existing tags...

In iTunes you have the option of setting a "compilation" tag that puts the track in "various artists" in Squeezecenter without destroying any existing tags - of course, if you have a lot of real "various artists" in your library this won't work either. I also don't know if this is actually a tag (so you can use it without using iTunes) or just a property in the iTunes database.

Kvaks
2009-01-07, 11:19
You could use a mass-tagging program to add a pseudo artist/album/albumartist to those files allowing you to isolate them. Of course this would destroy any existing tags...

I tried this approach (using faux entries for the album artist (or "band") tag as well as the album tag).

Problem is, the artist name isn't shown when browsing the collection, only the track title. Artist name is shown in "now playing" as well as in current playlist, but not when browsing, so it makes it hard to find music. (One dirty fix to this is to remove the artist and/or title tags, which makes Squeezecenter show the filename when browsing. But then the track won't be scrobbled to last.fm.)

This is a problem I've had with all music software with a library function. I'm an album guy. I want my library to focus on albums. But I do have a few gigabytes of misc music that are single tracks that I want to be able to listen to, but not mix with my album collection. On the computer I've got by by excluding the single tracks from the library and just adding them from a file manager to the playlist when needed. In the Squeezebox universe this is obviously not possible. So I'm with the OP, I'm missing a proper solution for this.

MeSue
2009-01-07, 18:29
Is it possible to configure my SB3 so that it will play music (mp3) from my hard disk which is not in the SqueezeCenter library?

I use the SB3 normally to play music from my SqueezeCenter library. I do, however, have a lot of mp3 files which I do not wish to include in the SqueezeCenter library but nevertheless want to play through the SB3.

How can this be done? It can be achieved using a Sony PS3 via the Windows Media Player library but I would much prefer to use the SB3 instead of the PS3 so that I do not have to have the TV switched on!

Have you looked into Erland's Multi Library plugin? I don't use that one, but I think it does pretty much what you want.

Another idea is to try enabling the option to look for UPnP servers and see if it lets you play your Windows Media library. I never had any luck getting it to reliably play from a different UPnP server, but maybe WMC works better. It's under Settings > Advanced > Network if you want to try it.

mphearn
2009-01-08, 15:56
Have you looked into Erland's Multi Library plugin? I don't use that one, but I think it does pretty much what you want.

Another idea is to try enabling the option to look for UPnP servers and see if it lets you play your Windows Media library. I never had any luck getting it to reliably play from a different UPnP server, but maybe WMC works better. It's under Settings > Advanced > Network if you want to try it.

Thank you for your ideas GirlGeek. I can't find the option to enable looking for UPnP servers. Is it somewhere in SqueezeCenter 7.3?

SuperQ
2009-01-08, 16:00
There is a plan to add multi-library support, and support for removable libraries in a future squeezecenter release. I know a design spec went out a month or two ago, but I don't know where development is on making it a reality.

MeSue
2009-01-08, 17:36
Thank you for your ideas GirlGeek. I can't find the option to enable looking for UPnP servers. Is it somewhere in SqueezeCenter 7.3?

Yes, it's in 7.3. From the webUI, go to Settings > Advanced (tab) > Network (pull down menu). It's the last item on the page labeled "UPnP Client." Change from disabled to enabled and then you will probably need to restart SC.

socistep
2009-01-09, 03:36
I can see why people would have a requirement for this, there are a few tracks that I download etc. that it would be good to listen to on the SB before deciding whether I like them or before I clean the tags up, this could be located on the desktop.

However to disagree with myself I could always just put them into the "Downloads" artist within my library I have which is a bit of dumping ground for random tracks.

bernt
2009-01-09, 04:25
Install a webserver and use "Tune in" in SC?

mphearn
2009-01-09, 04:38
Yes, it's in 7.3. From the webUI, go to Settings > Advanced (tab) > Network (pull down menu). It's the last item on the page labeled "UPnP Client." Change from disabled to enabled and then you will probably need to restart SC.
Thank you Sue, I have now enabled UPnP searching (my difficulty in finding it was because I wasn't using the default interface).
I am now making progress and have just succeeded in playing some music tracks which are NOT in the SC library via the SB3 !! Great result! Many thanks for your assistance.
Malcolm H

mphearn
2009-01-09, 09:21
Thank you Sue, I have now enabled UPnP searching (my difficulty in finding it was because I wasn't using the default interface).
I am now making progress and have just succeeded in playing some music tracks which are NOT in the SC library via the SB3 !! Great result! Many thanks for your assistance.
Malcolm H
Now I am finding a wierd problem. When I select my PC in the CS Music Library menu, four folders are listed bt default. They are Music, Video, Pictures, Playlists. If I select Playlists I can access *a few* music files from my SC library and from elsewhere on the PC (not in the SC library) They all play OK via the SB. If I select Music I just get error message "UPnP request failed please check UPnP server". I have checked the WMP library settings and all look ok. Note I get the same default folders with a PS3 but it plays all the files in the Music folder successfully.
Any ideas?

Nonreality
2009-01-11, 02:26

I agree that it would be nice to be able to browse your computer and play what you want. It seems that it would be easy to do as you can within the folders that you list as library from folder view. It just doensn't work that way though. I wish that when you went to folder view it just let you pick what folder to play, not just the one that you selected as a library folder. I would think it would be an easy add as you can add music to your libray folder and play it at once. I just don't know why you can't just go to another drive an play whatever it is you want to play. This would be a nice new feature in my opinion.
For now just add a folder under the folder you have as your library and add new music there and you will be able to play new stuff from folder view.

andyman99
2009-02-06, 08:27
I also have a similar desire for a "Removal Library". Is there anyway we can "vote" for this, is there such a thing as an enhancment request? Sorry for possible ignorance, I'm a bit of a new user!

Andy

sxr71
2009-02-15, 12:21
I run 2 squeezecenters on different IP addresses on the same machine. The big problem with this is that you have to reconfigure your squeezebox to use the other squeezecenter. In fact I have all my files encoded to mp3 on the second instance which I only use for remote downloading. To play them is a real pain.

elziko
2009-02-15, 15:00
Is there anyway we can "vote" for this, is there such a thing as an enhancment request?

You can create requests for bug fixes and enhancement requests here:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com

Make sure you search before adding to the Buzilla database - theres a good chance someone else has already created that request and you could then vote for it.

aubuti
2009-02-15, 21:53
I run 2 squeezecenters on different IP addresses on the same machine. The big problem with this is that you have to reconfigure your squeezebox to use the other squeezecenter. In fact I have all my files encoded to mp3 on the second instance which I only use for remote downloading. To play them is a real pain.
You really don't have to do any reconfiguration. All you need to do is choose a different music source. On the SB Classic or Boom just hold the left button on the remote for ~5 seconds and you will get a choice of server. On the SB Duet Controller, just use Settings > Music Source. Any way you do it should be just a few key presses on the remote.

head
2009-02-18, 15:30
I’ve had my SB Duet for a month and really love it but I am getting more and more frustrated over the inability to play any file/folder that is not in the music library. Rescanning my library takes ages and I want to be able to play new music immediately before adding to the library (that is done after verifying that all tags are correct and when any missing covers have been downloaded). Also, occasionally I listen to classical music that I do not want in my library and it still happens that I buy old-fashioned CD’s that I want to play without ripping.

How come this basic functionally has not been given priority? When searching the buglist I found that this problem (suggested improvement) was reported in October 2005 (!) and has still not been resolved.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2333

elziko
2009-02-19, 02:28
Also, occasionally I listen to classical music that I do not want in my library and it still happens that I buy old-fashioned CDís that I want to play without ripping.

Have you tried this?:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47288&highlight=cd

aubuti
2009-02-19, 06:36
Iíve had my SB Duet for a month and really love it but I am getting more and more frustrated over the inability to play any file/folder that is not in the music library. Rescanning my library takes ages and I want to be able to play new music immediately before adding to the library (that is done after verifying that all tags are correct and when any missing covers have been downloaded).
Just use Music Library > Music Folder and navigate to the folder with the new tracks. Not only can you play it immediately, but it also automatically adds it to the library (although I believe you'll need a rescan to pick up any album art).

head
2009-02-19, 14:09
Have you tried this?:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47288&highlight=cd
No, but I am aware of that plug-in. It seems a bit cumbersome but I will give it a try. However, playing CDís is not the big issue here. Thanks anyway :-)

head
2009-02-19, 14:09
Just use Music Library > Music Folder and navigate to the folder with the new tracks. Not only can you play it immediately, but it also automatically adds it to the library
But I donít want to add the music to the library. That is the whole point as I wrote in the next sentence. ;-)

aubuti
2009-02-19, 16:28
But I donít want to add the music to the library. That is the whole point as I wrote in the next sentence. ;-)
Then just move it to a different folder, outside your main music folder, after you play it. SC will still think it's in the library until you do a rescan, but it won't find it because you've moved it. Besides, if you don't want to listen to it then you won't be choosing it anyway, right?

Why hasn't this "basic functionally" been given priority? Probably because it's not a burning issue for a lot of users. Bug 2333 has only 7 votes in 3+ years. However, it does look like there might be some light at the end of the tunnel with the new schema planned for 7.4/8.0.

head
2009-02-20, 13:55
Then just move it to a different folder, outside your main music folder, after you play it. SC will still think it's in the library until you do a rescan, but it won't find it because you've moved it.
Yes, that's a workaround but not very convenient. I'll just have to wait for a future release of SC. :-)