PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Time

craig strong
2009-01-07, 03:00
I recently got a different external nas hard drive, (problems associated with that ill save till later!)

Anyway, is it just coincidence that doing re scans for new and changed music etc, now takes forever?

I just added 2 albums, and the scan took over 15 minutes, whereas before it was a fraction of that, or is it the fact that the more albums that are stored (150+ and rising) the longer it takes.

lrossouw
2009-01-07, 06:48
1) Did you look for new and changed?
2) Or did you do clear and rescan?

Both take longer the more music you have, but 2 should be longer than 1. 15 mins doesn't sound unreasonable.

I generally set the regular scan for early morning\late night, so am not sure about times. If I rip new music and want to listen to it immediately I just browse to is using the Music Folder interface. Once you start playing from there it should be added to your library immediately without a rescan.

snarlydwarf
2009-01-07, 12:34
External, you say? USB? Did it perhaps negotiate down to USB1 for some reason? (Dunno how you would check that, though...)

USB1 is... dog slow.

craig strong
2009-01-09, 08:22
Snarly, no, my hdd is connected via ethernet.

Uluen
2009-01-12, 06:00
What model NAS is it?
If you're running SC on it, it can be very slow if it's not a high end NAS but I guess you know that since it looks like you were using one before this.

JJZolx
2009-01-12, 21:44
Almost certainly not a coincidence.

The NAS is (of course) accessed over the network. How was the old music library attached? Internal drive? External drive?

Is the SqueezeCenter server running on Windows by any chance? There have been many reports of very slow access to libraries on (Linux based) NAS storage from SqueezeCenter running on Windows.

snarlydwarf
2009-01-12, 23:01
Snarly, no, my hdd is connected via ethernet.

ah, from your initial wording of an 'external NAS hard drive', I assumed you mean an external drive for your NAS, since a NAS is virtually always going to be external (I think I saw one once that fit inside a PC drive bay...).

only made sense to me with external referring to the hard drive, since it seemed redundant as a modifier to nas.

Tejay
2009-01-13, 13:43
If it is a Synology or QNAP NAS; see the thread also: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56407

Theo

craig strong
2009-01-23, 06:12
Almost certainly not a coincidence.

The NAS is (of course) accessed over the network. How was the old music library attached? Internal drive? External drive?

Yep, internal drive

Is the SqueezeCenter server running on Windows by any chance? There have been many reports of very slow access to libraries on (Linux based) NAS storage from SqueezeCenter running on Windows.

Yep again, Windows