PDA

View Full Version : Music Manager

Zoar Road
2009-01-06, 09:08
Hello everyone....I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I need a good managment tool for my music that I play and burn on my PC. I have a transport and a sqeezbox hooked up to different audio systems. Of course it is easy to control those with Squeeze Center. But why the sqeezecenter does not allow me to manage my local(as in PC) music mystery....and suggestions? II have Flac files so windows just wont do. What is the best to use?

ddewey
2009-01-06, 09:16
Quoting Zoar Road (Zoar.Road.3llnao1231258202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Hello everyone....I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I need
> a good managment tool for my music that I play and burn on my PC. I
> have a transport and a sqeezbox hooked up to different audio systems.
> Of course it is easy to control those with Squeeze Center. But why the
> sqeezecenter does not allow me to manage my local(as in PC) music
> mystery....and suggestions? II have Flac files so windows just wont
> do. What is the best to use?

MediaMonkey works great, supports Flac and has all kinds of advanced
features like transcoding FlAC to mp3 to load an iPod.

Highly recommended.

--
http://www.last.fm/user/ddewey

msobetzko
2009-01-06, 14:13
I'm a big fan of FOOBAR2K, not the "prettiest" out of the box solution, but it is very powerful and highly configurable. It's also totally free. Native support, or pluggin support of just about every file type. Supports replaygain, album art, etc.

MeSue
2009-01-06, 15:55
I like J. River Media Jukebox, also free.

Nonreality
2009-01-07, 00:42
Quoting Zoar Road (Zoar.Road.3llnao1231258202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Hello everyone....I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I need
> a good managment tool for my music that I play and burn on my PC. I
> have a transport and a sqeezbox hooked up to different audio systems.
> Of course it is easy to control those with Squeeze Center. But why the
> sqeezecenter does not allow me to manage my local(as in PC) music
> mystery....and suggestions? II have Flac files so windows just wont
> do. What is the best to use?

MediaMonkey works great, supports Flac and has all kinds of advanced
features like transcoding FlAC to mp3 to load an iPod.

Highly recommended.

--
http://www.last.fm/user/ddewey
If you really need a music manager then I would look at mediamonkey. It is far superior as a manager to J River or Foobar. I have the gold edition but I don't use it as I just manage on my own but media monkey is very good.

Philip Meyer
2009-01-07, 10:26
If you really need a music manager then I would look at mediamonkey. It is far superior as a manager to J River or Foobar. I have the gold edition but I don't use it as I just manage on my own but media monkey is very good.

Here's another vote for FooBar. It's fast, small, very powerfull. It has configurable ways for browsing a music library (define your own hierarchies). I also find it's implementation of playlists second to none (you can browse a sub-section of your music library based on the content of a playlist).

I don't like MediaMonkey. I tried it once and it screwed up tags in my mp3 files. It doesn't seem much better than iTunes in terms of support for things like multiple genres, artists, compilations, etc.

bwaldron
2009-01-07, 15:11

It is very good. But in no way do I see it as far superior to J. River's offerings.