PDA

View Full Version : Why sales don't reply to my email?

thaneros
2009-01-05, 21:51
Last Sunday, I wanted to order a Squeezebox Boom while the 10% sale was still on.
But while filling in my address, I was blocked by the checkout system: "Unfortunately we're unable to ship to your location. Please enter another address and try again."
That is weird because I ordered a Squeezebox last year at the same addresse and there was no problem. Note: I live in Taiwan.
So I emailed the sales to know what they could do about that.
But I got no reply.
And today I see the sale is terminated.

Do I have to say I am very disappointed?
Do SlimDevices want me to buy a Squeezebox or not?

Benjamin.

iPhone
2009-01-05, 22:17
Last Sunday, I wanted to order a Squeezebox Boom while the 10% sale was still on.
But while filling in my address, I was blocked by the checkout system: "Unfortunately we're unable to ship to your location. Please enter another address and try again."
That is weird because I ordered a Squeezebox last year at the same addresse and there was no problem. Note: I live in Taiwan.
So I emailed the sales to know what they could do about that.
But I got no reply.
And today I see the sale is terminated.

Do I have to say I am very disappointed?
Do SlimDevices want me to buy a Squeezebox or not?

Benjamin.

Were you ordering from the main Slim Devices US website Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com) If so, I believe that they only except sales from certain countries that are on the dropdown list. All other allowable web sales are though Logitech:
Logitech Squeezebox Ordering (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/)
Once on this website, goto the location box on the upper right side and select your country and then enter your order.

thaneros
2009-01-05, 23:22
Were you ordering from the main Slim Devices US website Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com) If so, I believe that they only except sales from certain countries that are on the dropdown list. All other allowable web sales are though Logitech:
Logitech Squeezebox Ordering (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/)
Once on this website, goto the location box on the upper right side and select your country and then enter your order.

Yes, I was ordering from Slim Devices and Taiwan is in the dropdown list.
Furthermore, Logitech Taiwan doesn't sell Squeezebox products.

But thanks for your help,

Benjamin.

Siduhe
2009-01-06, 03:40
My understanding from other posts made on the board is that Slim Devices now only sell directly to the US and Canada - regardless of what is in the drop down box on the site.

All other sales are done via Logitech. Your best bet may be to find a local reseller, or to use a shipping service like ForwardIt (http://www.forwardit.us/),

lrossouw
2009-01-06, 05:30
Can also confirm that I also ordered from them before and now they no longer support my country (South Africa).

Try something like amazon or similar. They should also have it.

mparry
2009-01-06, 09:45
Thaneros ,
Sorry for the slow response yesterday was our first day back from a two week shutdown and we were a little bogged down. Check your pms.

thaneros
2009-01-07, 00:25
Thank everybody for your answers. Siduhe, I didn't know ForwardIt, looks interesting.

Matt from the sales team sent me a PM.
Two things:
1) they didn't reply my email right away because they came back from a 2 weeks holidays (how lucky!) and had a trillion other messages to reply to.
2) They do ship to Taiwan so he is going to investigate the problem. My guess is there is a bug with their checkout but we will see.

Benjamin.

lrossouw
2009-01-07, 06:58
Great that you are going to get it sorted in Taiwan. I think the website should have a list of suppliers that do sell to countries not supported by the website. So once you click on a country not supported it should redirect to a list of resellers.

At least the list of resellers (http://www.slimdevices.com/au_resellers.html) should probably contain countries outside of USA and Canada. They seem to have forgotten about the rest of us.

The rest of the world love slimdevices too :)

thaneros
2009-01-13, 01:24
This is the good news: I can now proceed to the payment.
And the bad news is: my payment is not accepted because of what seems another system glitch.

Now I am seriously contemplating using ForwardIt...

mparry
2009-01-13, 10:06
Okay so here is the problem. Many international credit cards do not support AVS.AVS is a service we use to verify peoples billing address and protect our cutomers from fraud.
In the slimdevices days we sold worldwide and we really did not have too many restrictions. This was partially out of necessity, we did a lot of our fraud checking manually which was time consuming and sometimes not entirely reliable.
Now that we are part of a larger organization we have to be a bit more careful about what we do. Our new system requires that all orders are placed with a credit card that uses/supports AVS. Unfortunately it appears that the credit card used for your order does not support AVS.
Obviously this is a legitimate order however without an AVS supporting card this order will not be able to go through.
I apologize for the inconvenience , hopefully in the future more of the regional Logitech.com sites will start carrying our products eliminating this problem.

thaneros
2009-01-13, 19:12
So that is what this AVS message meant.
I looked up AVS on Wikipedia and Visa supports AVS only in a few countries (obviously not France since my card is from France).

I think you virtually eliminated the possibility to order from countries where Logitech doesn't offer the Squeezebox.

I could also order from Logitech France but they don't sell the mounting brackets for the Boom (and I will have to buy a plug adaptor).
Oh life is so complicated!

DeVerm
2009-01-14, 07:17
This requirement for AVS is indeed s t u p i d !!! If slimsales stands by that requirement, it can just as well close the webshop for anyone outside USA/Canada/UK.

What you need to be able to pay:

Mastercard or Visacard issued in the USA, Canada or UK or American Express card and pray as it supports some additional issuing countries.

Most customers will have VC or MC so there you are, only US, Canada or UK. Kinda restricted view of the world isn't it?

Bye bye global business model. Many US businesses slide down this same black hole of stupid payment restrictions. Others require US zipcode for card holder. I can get around this sometimes by using PayPal.

cheers,
Nick.

Dogberry2
2009-01-14, 10:09
That's the first time I've ever heard the use of security checking on financial transactions called "stupid" or a bad business model. Nearly every online purchase I make with a credit card (thousands over the past ten years) requires either CVV or AVS verification. I suspect businesses find that making an effort to eliminate credit card fraud is a preferable business model to not doing so.

snarlydwarf
2009-01-14, 10:45
That's the first time I've ever heard the use of security checking on financial transactions called "stupid" or a bad business model. Nearly every online purchase I make with a credit card (thousands over the past ten years) requires either CVV or AVS verification. I suspect businesses find that making an effort to eliminate credit card fraud is a preferable business model to not doing so.

And of course, Banks may require it as part of their merchant contract.

("Well, no you don't need to use AVS, but you will need to pay much higher transaction fees if you don't, since we don't like online ordering.")

Amusing story: my CU reissued every single debit card a few years ago thanks to TJMaxx. A week later, I got a phone call from Visa, asking me about a large number of purchases on my card.

I asked them, "Were they all at Amazon?" They said Yes.

I asked if they were all small items... Again, yes.

And all shipped to my home? Yep.

Seems ordering a dozen CDs on a 'new' card, all from "Amazon Marketplace" set off their fraud alerts and they needed to call me to confirm my new card wasn't stolen.

mparry
2009-01-15, 10:29
OK everyone lets slow down the AVS is Stupid train. I worked with our Authorization service and we now have the ability to accept orders placed with credit cards that are from non-AVS issuing countries. However for these orders we will most likely require have to contact the customer to confirm their identity resulting in a longer order processing. Additionally if we are not comfortable sending the order out we won't.
I also want to point that www.slimdevices.com is NOT the worldwide squeezebox store we used to be. however since Logitech.com has regional web stores all over the world our scope has shifted.
We now only service the Americas,Canada and parts of Asia. If anyone ahs any questions please feel free to send me a PM or email sales@slimdevices.com.

DeVerm
2009-01-16, 08:12
Guys,

I am not saying it's stupid to check card holders... why would I? I say it's stupid to only accept payment with US/Canada/UK cards for countries other than these three as a child can understand that these customers do not have a card that was issued by a bank in one of those 3 countries. And the website accepts orders from these other countries as indicated by the OP. It should instead direct customers from these countries to call for ordering instead of showing refusal and error messages.

Is that so much logic that it's too hard to follow?

But I now read that these cards are accepted after contact with the customer. This means that the customer should call instead of order on-line. At least we can use Skype for that to keep a little of the on-line feeling. Or PayPal if it's accepted.

I do object to be assumed "thief of cards" just because my Mastercard or Visacard was issued in a country that doesn't support a single limited cardholder verification system. Especially because these cards are supposed to be accepted worldwide and my money is as hard earned with honest labour as anyones.

cheers,
Nick.

mparry
2009-01-16, 09:40
Hi Nick,
It was never my intention to make anyone feel as though they were being accused of being a "thief of cards". I was trying to explain a bit about how our system works and help Thaneros place an order.Have you also had trouble placing an order?
Cheers,
Matt

DeVerm
2009-01-17, 16:50
Hi Matt,

No worry, I had my sights on the 2 posters before you... I guess they are US citizens living in the USA using credit cards issued by US banks (while they are still around) and thus have no problems with the system... ;-)

You acted so that the webshop now actually works with these "foreign" credit cards and that computes for me!

Me having problems like this placing orders? Does that show? ha ha. Sure I have problems but not with your shop as I order SqueezeStuff from Amazon.com .... where one can use "foreign" credit cards without delay :-) (how do they check the card holder?)

thanks,
Nick.

peter
2009-01-18, 13:07
mparry wrote:
> Okay so here is the problem. Many international credit cards do not
> support AVS.AVS is a service we use to verify peoples billing address
> and protect our cutomers from fraud.
>

Let's be honest here. You don't protect your customers from fraud. You
protect the people whose cards are abused (most likely non-customers)
and yourselves. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Regards,
Peter

Goodsounds
2009-01-18, 14:10
Point 1
The company was following reasonable procedures for credit card sales. In response to an inquiry (about international charges, always tricky) some new approaches were found. Bravo to Matt and others for that.

Those of you who don't understand will not develop an understanding by grousing or continuing to think about it. Accept that some things are possible with some companies, or in some contexts, and not in others, and not consistently.

Point 2
It's been over two years since the acquisition by Logitech. From what I continue to read in the forums, it seems you guys are still struggling with distribution and consistency from geographical region to region. I would have thought that would have been a matter of higher urgency to fix and put to bed.

thaneros
2009-01-18, 18:40
After 2 weeks of trying to order a Boom, my order is finally being processed awaiting payment approval.
While I was not impressed at all 2 weeks ago, I believe Matt did everything he could so I (and others) could order a Squeezebox. Now I have faith again!

Thank you Matt.